View Full Version : MPx220 owners: PLEASE report the following (read inside)!

runbuh
12-02-2004, 01:36 AM
Help everyone figure out whether it's firmware or hardware upgrades on these MPx220's that is resolving the problems - so, could everyone who owns an MPx220 please let us know the following:

- What carrier brand is on your phone (Cingular, ATTWS, etc.)
- When did you get your phone
- How did you get your phone
- What firmware rev are you running (via Start->Settings->About, scroll down to "Manufacturer:")
- What HARDWARE rev are you running. I don't know how Cingular's handle this, but on the ATTWS MPx220s, you can do a *#**372# then hit Send. You will get a menu where you can select Option 0, which is "S/W ver. & mode". Look for the "HWVer".
- What problems (if any) you feel you are having (volume, camera, MiniSD)

My phone shows the following:

- Carrier: AT&T Wireless
- Two weeks old
- How: Through AT&T Business service
- Manufacturer: 0.343.0.0
- HWVer: 6
- Problems: Speakerphone volume is extremely low, and earpiece volume is "OK" (compared to a Verizon T730, and a ATTWS SMT5600). I have not tested the camera extensively, but I have had no problems so far. MP3's play just fine (although quietly) through WMP

k2times
12-02-2004, 02:34 AM
- AT&T Wireless
- Got it today, 12/1/04
- ATT Business (now Cingular NBO) over the phone. $209 with my discount, no contract and no data plan requirement.
- Manufacturer: 0.343.0.0
- Problems - Speakerphone volume is way too low, ring tones are way too quiet, keypad timeout not synced with backlight timeout. Camera works okay so far, not bad quality on highest res, though I haven't downloaded for offline viewing so my take may change on that. Checking on BT tonight and installing additional programs to see how it handles it.

scottd
12-02-2004, 03:32 AM
- Cingular
- Got it on 11/27/04
- Best Buy $300 Rebate offer with one year contract
- Manufacturer: 0.342.0.0
- Problems:
1. Ring tones are a little low.
2. Camera works okay so far, a little too dark inside. Did not take any pictures outside.
3. Most calls I can hear fine, but on some calls the volume is low and I have to strain to hear the person.
4. keypad timeout not synced with backlight timeout
5. After charging I Get an alert that says "Backup Battery low. To prevent possible data loss, replace or recharge your batteries according to the owner's manual." <a href = "http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6951" > See my post here </a>

- Non-Issues: Speakerphone volume is fine.

kmichalec
12-02-2004, 03:38 AM
- Cingular
- Got it Friday, 11/26/04
- Best Buy, $49 after $300 mail in rebate. I then exchanged it through XBM on 11/30/04.
- Manufacturer: originally 0.343.0.0 from BB, now 1.300 from XBM
- Original Problems - Earpiece volume too low, microphone on phone would stop working, speakerphone volume is too low, keypad timeout not synced with backlight timeout, camera works okay
-Current status- Earpiece volume better, no microphone cutting out, speakerphone volume better, keypad timeout is now synced with backlight timeout, camera works little better

james840a
12-02-2004, 07:47 AM
-Cingular
-got replacement on 11/29/04
-Manufacturer: replacement phone 1.300 from XBM cingular, old phone .325 from BB
-HWver 6
-original proplem earpiece and ring volume to low
-current status, volume is alot better all around,camera is little better then .325

xxpinballxx
12-02-2004, 02:13 PM
-Cingular
-4 weeks
-Version .342.0.0 after two tries
-HWver 6
-Low volume all around, ringtones are barely audible, camera is pointless,video is even worse, lag in the menus. I think I might be the only one as far as I know from the boards, and keypad backlight is out of sync.
-current status : waiting for final word on versions and the bugs in 1.30.0.0

Michael95GT
12-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Cingular
6 weeks(1.300 version since 11/26)
S/W Version: 1.300
H/W Version: 6
Low volume all around, ringtones were very low, camera is pointless,video is even worse, lag in the menus. I think I might be the only one as far as I know from the boards, and keypad backlight is out of sync.

Current status- All around volume much better, keypad timeout is now synced with backlight timeout, camera &amp; video especially works much better

PROBLEM: Just started yesterday evening. Microphone started cutting out during calls, starts out fine, then starts getting lower and lower till people can't hear me at all, Sometimes they say they heard an electrical whining type noise in the background. :? Confusing part is voice recognition still works perfect anytime I try it, even immediately after a failed call; which leads me to believe it's a firmware issue instead of hardware.

Any thoughts?

runbuh
12-03-2004, 04:49 AM
OK - they did not actually change the hardware (at least, they didn't note any changes in the HWRev number). So - it appears that the 1.30 firmware fixes the volume issues. I wish I could get one for my AT&amp;T phone.

Thank you everyone for posting your numbers!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

sperry
12-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Help everyone figure out whether it's firmware or hardware upgrades on these MPx220's that is resolving the problems - so, could everyone who owns an MPx220 please let us know the following:

- What carrier brand is on your phone (Cingular, ATTWS, etc.)
- When did you get your phone
- How did you get your phone
- What firmware rev are you running (via Start->Settings->About, scroll down to "Manufacturer:")
- What HARDWARE rev are you running. I don't know how Cingular's handle this, but on the ATTWS MPx220s, you can do a *#**372# then hit Send. You will get a menu where you can select Option 0, which is "S/W ver. &amp; mode". Look for the "HWVer".
- What problems (if any) you feel you are having (volume, camera, MiniSD)

- Carrier: Cingular
- 5 weeks ago
- BestBuy
- None since I recived a replacement phone. (YET)

-Steven

casus_belli
12-06-2004, 06:51 PM
ATTWS
Mid November, about the 18th.
Nat'l Business Ordering
HWVer: 6
Earpiece volume is a bit low. Microphone cut out once, but the error cleared with a reboot.

jimfee
12-09-2004, 03:15 PM
When did you get your phone -Black friday special at BestBuy Cingular brand
- What firmware rev are you running -0.343.0.0
Funny the guy behinfd me in line noted that we were buing "Orange Dot" boxes signifiying that theese had already had an updated software rev installed.
- What HARDWARE rev are you running. HWR 06

- What problems - I thought the volume was a bit low on both the call and the speakerphone, imediately after reading this post I had a call where the mic cut out on me.
I am really not happy with the stuff I've been reading about bluetooth connectivity, but I havent tried it yet. I went for this phone as an alternative to an Ipaq 6315 and the next thing I was looking to do was GPS so I will see how far I get.

I think I would like to get the 1.3 rev and somehow that Bluetooth wizzard I read about in the GPS thread.

I used to work testing cell phones and know the complications with issues like sw revs post purchase, or bandwith resources to flash over the air, But this is a "Windows Product" that is already bundled with sync software and a USB cable. How "Smart" is a Smartphone that cant pick up a software update off the net. This speaks far worse for Bill and the boys at MS trying to brand everything like it was a cow, than for the MOTO folks or Cingular

Mike Temporale
12-09-2004, 03:51 PM
...this is a "Windows Product" that is already bundled with sync software and a USB cable. How "Smart" is a Smartphone that cant pick up a software update off the net. This speaks far worse for Bill and the boys at MS trying to brand everything like it was a cow, than for the MOTO folks or Cingular

I disagree. This is a Cingular product, not a "windows product". Microsoft is not selling you anything in this deal, Cingular is.

Lets say you stop to fill up your car with Gas. Half way through the fill up, the pump stops working. Do you blame the local gas company? the Manufacturer of the gas pump? or the company that sold the manufacturer a program to control the flow of gas from the pump?

jimfee
12-09-2004, 05:28 PM
I think your corrolary is acurate but when you sell a Smartphone operating sysem, with whatever hardware (in this case MOTO), through a service provider (Cingular), who is responsible for the software?

Traditionaly phone OS revs and support were virtually non-existant and apparently still are, In my opinion, I would expect more from a company like MS

I would like to know how much of the price of the phone goes back to MS, however the money is shifted or subsidized, Bill is probably getting paid for his efforts. The product is branded by MS (and two other entities) but apparently not supported my MS

Just My Opinon, no more no less :wink:

Mike Temporale
12-09-2004, 07:24 PM
In this case, Cingular is responsible for chasing Motorola, who in turn chases Microsoft. Motorola does not sell this directly to the public, and neither does Microsoft. While ultimately, Microsoft may be responsible for some of the issues or problems, Motorola is Microsofts customer, not us.

It's also fair to note, that Moto can and does make software modifications - to a certian extent. So the problem may not be caused by Microsoft, but by a change made by the manufacturer.

Regarding how much Microsoft makes; the last thing I remember seeing was $8 per license (handset). Ya, it's next to nothing. :)

ragintajin
12-20-2004, 07:51 AM
- Cingular
- Today, 12/19/2004
- Cingular Store
- Manufacturer: 1.30.0.0 (but under the battery it says S/W V1.030)
- Problems - So far, speakerphone/ringtones are extremely low volume :evil:

EDIT: captain obvious solved the speakerphone problem...took off the plastic from the speaker, hahaha.