View Full Version : Dec 1st

stevew
12-01-2004, 02:36 AM
A Cingular rep that I have been communicating with called me tonight and said the MPx 220 would be available from Cingular Dec. 1st and they would have 1.30 ROM. I've also got him checking on the Siemens x66 Pocket PC Phone that has been advertised by Cingular but nobody seems to know a thing about it.

mbranscum
12-01-2004, 02:50 AM
A Cingular rep that I have been communicating with called me tonight and said the MPx 220 would be available from Cingular Dec. 1st and they would have 1.30 ROM. I've also got him checking on the Siemens x66 Pocket PC Phone that has been advertised by Cingular but nobody seems to know a thing about it.

A guy at Howard Forums is saying December 2 so that must be pretty close.

k2times
12-01-2004, 04:08 AM

FedEx is supposed to deliver my new 220 from Cingular NBO tomorrow...they couldn't tell me the F/W version over the phone, but mentioned that they were getting a 'new shipment' in. I have an AT&T account, but my call to our business line was routed to Cingular. We'll see tomorrow and I'll repost....

stevew
12-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Actually my mistake. It is Dec 2nd according to the cingular rep. He called me the night of Nov. 30th and said 2 days. I thought that would be Dec. 1st. Forgot only 30 days in Nov.

jazzy_james
12-01-2004, 08:38 PM
FedEx is supposed to deliver my new 220 from Cingular NBO tomorrow...they couldn't tell me the F/W version over the phone, but mentioned that they were getting a 'new shipment' in. I have an AT&T account, but my call to our business line was routed to Cingular. We'll see tomorrow and I'll repost....[/quote]

Same here. Should be here by 3pm. Can't wait...

k2times
12-01-2004, 08:53 PM
The phone got here first thing this morning...what a thing of beauty!

Unfortunately, the firmware is .343. I'm in transfer hell with Cingular NBO right now, trying to get it swapped out. The rep had the familiar, "We can't tell what firmware versions we have in stock" statement, but he's talking with his supervisor right now as I type....

I'll repost with results...

BTW, I turned BT on, and still was able to get a clear picture from the camera...fyi. Volume on the earpiece is still lower than I would like, though I don't have a .325 to compare it with....

stevew
12-02-2004, 12:51 AM
The MPx 220 is now listed on the Cingular website. $299 w/ 2 year contract

james840a
12-02-2004, 02:00 AM
Wow k2times, it just came today, did they over night it or ground? I got my monday night 11/29 and it had the 1.30. firmware :rock on dude!: I can say that there is a big difference

k2times
12-02-2004, 02:22 AM
Wow k2times, it just came today, did they over night it or ground? I got my monday night 11/29 and it had the 1.30. firmware :rock on dude!: I can say that there is a big difference

I got it overnight - they said that they were out of stock, but came in yesterday. It left Dallas yesterday and got here in L.A. this morning. I'm not experiencing the BT issue related to pictures, and the camera is surprisingly better than I thought it would be after reading all of the comments over the last month. But, the ringer volume is reaaaaally low and the call volume leaves a lot to be desired, but again, better than I expected.

I'll play with it more tonight when I get home from work and see how well it does with the programs I load and with my BT headset. I have about a week to play with this one until I get the RMA shipping label from ATT in "seven to 10 business days".

PPCMD
12-02-2004, 04:32 AM
The Cingular site has it and my local store said about a week. Their Regional Manager was in tonight and was working on getting one for me by Friday. Since I will be new to CIngular I want the local store help and they should get the comission too. especially when I add the other two lines from Verizon.

jazzy_james
12-02-2004, 07:24 AM
hey k2times, same situation. My phone from ATT NBO is .343 and I have to say I'm disappointed to. I haven't called them yet for an exchange but how did it go with you? Does ATT know about this situation? Do I call ATT NBO or Cingular XBM? Sounds like Cingular XBM should be more familiar with this issue...

Please let me know since I'm following in your footsteps... thanks!

k2times
12-02-2004, 08:13 AM
hey k2times, same situation. My phone from ATT NBO is .343 and I have to say I'm disappointed to. I haven't called them yet for an exchange but how did it go with you? Does ATT know about this situation? Do I call ATT NBO or Cingular XBM? Sounds like Cingular XBM should be more familiar with this issue...

Please let me know since I'm following in your footsteps... thanks!

I called the business number from the AT&T business site, and all of the voice prompts on the call say Cingular, so I think it's migrated even if you call ATT.

They didn't have any answers - in the end they said that they checked with 'one of the buyers' and he said that they got the entire current shipment in bulk, so all of the phones are the same firmware. I ended up requesting a RMA shipping tag so that I could return the phone, and they were helpful. So, I'm just playing with this one until I get the shipping label and then I'll call back to see if they have the new version.

Have to say though, after playing with it tonight I'm impressed. The bluetooth functionality was a pain between my Dell laptop and the phone, but I finally got it to work and sync with Active Sync via BT. My Jabra 200 paired right away with the phone and works great. With some fiddling, the ringer volume is more than tolerable on a variety of ringtones. I guess it's just not as bad as I expected.

The camera still lags and is virtually useless in low light, but on the whole this is off to a good start. If the new F/W improves the camera even slightly and increases the call volume, I might have found my perfect phone...

jazzy_james
12-02-2004, 04:47 PM
thanks k2times. The only concern I have in RMA my phone is that you will never know what firmware you're getting in your next order. The person who normally takes your order (if you call directly instead of via the website) will not have that information. The only thing we can do is to wait until someone else buys from them and post their version of FW.

In the other thread, someone posted the Cingular XBM number. I may call them to see if I can do an exchange. Won't hurt for you to do the same. You have a better shot in getting the 1.30 version than waiting until they start selling phones with this FW version.

I will keep you posted on my review of my phone. Haven't played with it just yet.

jazzy_james
12-06-2004, 06:53 PM
k2times, just wanted you to know im keeping the phone. I tested out the last few days and it's great. hardly any issues with the .343 except the camera is kinda crappy but I can live with it since I already have a dedicated digital camera. Bluetooth works great, sound is good.

From howardforum.com, it's been discussed that the .343 is equivalent to the 1.30 fw. the .343 is ATT version while the 1.30 is the cincular version. They both are the latest firmware.

Just wanted to let you know so you can think twice about RMAing yours.

k2times
12-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks Jazz. I'm pretty happy as well. Besides the BT issue (I get a lot of interference on my Jabra BT200, which may or may not be related to the 220), and a desire for higher ringer and call volume the phone is great. I received my RMA shipping label in the mail today, and I'm still debating...though I can't imagine giving this phone up.

:idea: Maybe I just made my decision.... :)