View Full Version : Use of Embedded Camera Results in Jail Sentence.

Jerry Raia
11-29-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4045991.stm' target='_blank'>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4045991.stm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A man has been given a six-month custodial sentence for taking photos in court with his mobile phone. Shaun Nash, 19, also used the phone to take video footage while sitting in the public gallery during a robbery trial at Bristol Crown Court. Nash, of Wilinton Road, Knowle West, pleaded guilty to contempt of court. Sentencing Nash, Judge Michael Roach said: "What you did was extremely serious. The public need to know that mobile phones cannot be used in court."</i><br /><br />Now if this fellow had used my MPx220 to take the pictures he would have had no problems. The photo's would have been unrecognizable! :lol:

Kris Kumar
11-30-2004, 04:06 AM
First response is shock. Six months might be too long. But I agree that some punishment was needed.

I like the fact that MPx220 does not let you disable the loud camera click sound. That is one way to prevent people from doing stupid stuff.

Mike Temporale
11-30-2004, 04:33 AM
First response is shock. Six months might be too long. But I agree that some punishment was needed.

I like the fact that MPx220 does not let you disable the loud camera click sound. That is one way to prevent people from doing stupid stuff.

6 months is way too long, especially for a 19 year old.

As for your MPx220, I'm sure there is a way. What about renaming the wav file, or replacing it with a silent wav file.

revolution.cx
11-30-2004, 05:11 AM
That was in the UK. What a power-crazed judge.

One of the tenets of democracy is fair and open trials. Taking photos or recordings during proceedings is hardly an injury to society.

Now if he had just beat someone unconscious with the phone he'd have only gotten 6 days in jail...

Jerry Raia
11-30-2004, 05:32 AM
:rotfl:
So true

PPCMD
11-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Six months might be too long but I don't agree that cameras should be allowed in court in all cases. Do you want people snapping up pictures of those who testify, what about their rights.

This is the UK and I bet we have judges here in the US who would do the same thing.

Jason Dunn
11-30-2004, 06:34 PM
One of the tenets of democracy is fair and open trials. Taking photos or recordings during proceedings is hardly an injury to society.

You might not exactly feel the same way if you were a juror on a big murder trial and someone published your photo on the news as a juror, then the media started calling your home/family/etc. "Fair and open" doesn't always mean "media circus" as well.

promano
11-30-2004, 07:53 PM
There are things that innocent people do everyday that are
done without thoughfulness, and done with carelessness.
These acts go unnoticed until they blossom into a larger act that was made up of a lot of smaller events.

Stopping someone and asking them why they thought it was necessary to pay $4,000 CASH for an airline ticket,
may have stopped at least one of the World Trade Center towers from falling.

james840a
11-30-2004, 07:54 PM
so true, if your a wit to a hi profile case, you dont want your picture taken. A good way of getting killed ;)

Jason Dunn
11-30-2004, 08:31 PM
Let's not take this down the polical road please. :-)

promano
12-01-2004, 05:35 AM
Let's not take this down the polical road please. :-)

I'm not trying to go this route.

Someone with a phone camera could very innocently say to themselves,
"A few pics from inside a courtroom would be very cool!".
They snap a few pictures and then some time later, the photos somehow end up on the internet or on the front page of a newspaper.
The method of transport is irrelevant.

Someone identifies with an individual in the photo as not being where they were supposed to be,
or they are a material witness whose testimoney carried significant weight in the decision of the trial.
In either case, that individual could be put in a highly jeopardized situation,
all because THE PHOTOGRAPHER didn't taket the time to think about the consequences of their actions.

There are PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS who understand the law, and the reasoning behind rules and regulations.
They understand when they can be broken or abused while causing little or no danger to anyone.
This is why they are professionals in their field, and they can accomplish the things that they do.

Our Parents spent everyday of our innocent lives trying to mold us into model citizens,
using the only wisdoms they learned through the course of their very own life's experiences,
and presenting these experiences to us in the only means that they could understand,
with the hopes that we would listen and learn from their examples.

If we didn't learn a thing from them, it was only our own fault for not paying attention to them, when it mattered the most.

In my opinion, 6 months is not enough time.

Jason Dunn
12-01-2004, 05:43 AM
Please stay on the topic of Smartphones and cameras - this discussion has nothing to do with airline tickets or hijackers. Any further messages along these lines will be deleted. Ths is not the appropriate venue for 9/11 conspiracy theories - political discussions always tend to get ugly and that's why we try to avoid the. Please stay on topic.

promano
12-01-2004, 06:51 AM
Sorry Jason,

I edited my post to stay focused on the topic.

Jason Dunn
12-01-2004, 06:54 PM
Sorry Jason, I edited my post to stay focused on the topic.

Thanks. You can feel free to discuss camera phone conspiracy theories if you want. :lol: