View Full Version : linking my PC via my SMT5600 to the internet?

lowendzonecam
11-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Is there a way to use my data plan as an internet access plan for my PC by linking my SMT5600 to my PC via USB port? Any ideas? The PDF manual has table of contents entry (chapter 5.4), but no actual section on "Modem Link".

Mike Temporale
11-27-2004, 01:12 PM
The process should be pretty much the same as this article (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4076). Although, you shouldn't have to do any of the driver modification stuff. Look for that on the CD that came with your phone.

lowendzonecam
11-28-2004, 06:15 AM
Mike, thanks for the speedy response, but I feel I'm out of my league on this one. I'll have to stop by the AT&T shop this week, the salesman's gonna have some 'splainin' to do!!! He said it was all in the manual... Let's see if they know how to reconfigure the phone.

Thanx any way, CIAO, for now.
LEZC

Mike Temporale
11-28-2004, 01:49 PM
reconfigure the phone? No, you shouldn't have to change anything on the phone. Just run the modem software on the phone. All the settings should be on your computer.

lowendzonecam
11-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Sorry, I guess I'm really showing my "NEWBIE-ness"... I have searched (I think) all menu options on the phone, and have had no success in finding any configuration for this purpose. Also, the CD which came with the phone has only Outlook 2002, ActiveSync, and the users' manual... am I not looking in the correct places? I really appreciate your help and insight, but I feel I may have other issues going on here. My menu screens don't always follow the manual and some screens don't appear to exisit at all.

Thank you once again... I'll keep you posted.

Mike Temporale
11-29-2004, 03:11 AM
There should be no configuration needed on the phone, just run the modem link application (Start / more / more / accessories / modem link ) set connection type to USB, and then press menu/activate.

When you connect it to your PC it should say that it's found new hardware. Point it to the CD for the driver. There are a couple more settings to make on your machine, but I don't tknow them off hand. The link I mentioned above should have everything.

lowendzonecam
11-29-2004, 04:45 AM
Mike:

Although there are no drivers to be found on the CD, 8O (Honestly, I "pointed" to it and windows could not find it.)

I did have success with the .INF file previously downloaded. The result... this transmission courtesy my SMT5600 Smartphone!!! :D

This has been quite the learning curve, and I must thank you for stickin' with me. YOU DA MAN!!!

Most humbly yours, :)
LOWENDZONECAM

Mike Temporale
11-29-2004, 05:14 AM
I'm glad you got it working. Although, I'm a little surprised that there was no driver on the CD. :? Ah well. Enjoy! :D

apeguero
11-29-2004, 07:31 AM
Where did you get the driver file for the SMT5600? Also, isn't there a charge of about .01 per kb on that kind of connection?

Thanks.