View Full Version : Verizon Testing $15 a Month Flat-Rate EV-DO Data Service

Jerry Raia
11-27-2004, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000710021635/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000710021635/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Even though their coverage is better, you have to admit that Verizon Wireless doesn’t exactly have the most consumer-friendly data plans (they have a bunch of plans, none of which are exactly what you’d describe as affordable), but that could be changing."</i><br /><br />I know Verizon has been testing this in several geographical areas here in the states. The price mentioned here is way below the typical monthly rate Verizon charges for data. This is something to get excited about :)

PPCMD
11-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Not bad, but Verizon needs to get on the ball and improve the rate plans in general. This still won't stop me from moving since Verizon doesn't offer EV-DO in my market and there are no current dates for my area.

Janak Parekh
11-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Moreover, it's not clear they'll offer this for Smartphones. This $15 plan seems to be a phone-only plan to speed up adoption of their Get It Now and video streaming.

--janak

aristoBrat
11-28-2004, 05:08 AM
This is kind of interesting since their current terms of service for EV-DO (BroadbandAccess) specifically say that you can NOT stream anything. :D

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=planFirst&amp;action=viewPlanDetail&amp;sortOption=priceSort&amp;catId=327

Unlimited NationalAccess/BroadbandAccess: NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess data sessions may be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) e-mail; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, e-mail and individual productivity applications such as customer relationship management, sales force and field service automation). Unlimited NationalAccess/BroadbandAccess is for individual use only and not for resale. Unlimited NationalAccess/BroadbandAccess cannot be used (1) for uploading, downloading or streaming of movies, music or games, (2) with server devices or with host computer applications, including, without limitation, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, telemetry applications, automated functions or any other machine-to-machine applications, (3) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess data sessions automatically terminate after two hours of inactivity unless used with a Mobile IP capable device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone who uses NationalAccess or BroadbandAccess in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term. BroadbandAccess kilobyte usage may not appear on your bill.

Kris Kumar
11-28-2004, 05:58 AM
Hmm..what exactly can we use the unllimited connection for. :?

Doesn't that cross out everything...

EDIT: I guess for that price its great that you can get the most basic stuff (email, web browsing) done at a faster speed. I would like to use the EV-DO for laptop and for surfing internet on my Pocket PC.

This plan will be great for Pocket PC Phone edition users with EV-DO devices.

aristoBrat
11-28-2004, 06:06 AM
No, it still leaves "(i) Internet browsing; (ii) e-mail; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, e-mail and individual productivity applications such as customer relationship management, sales force and field service automation)"

I could spend all day on the Thoughts sites... :)

Jerry Raia
11-28-2004, 06:15 AM
and there is always the "worry free guarantee". :wink:

Kris Kumar
11-28-2004, 06:21 AM
No, it still leaves "(i) Internet browsing; (ii) e-mail; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, e-mail and individual productivity applications such as customer relationship management, sales force and field service automation)"

Sorry was being sarcastic. The moment I wrote the post, I knew that it was not clear. I decided to go back in and edit it. :-) Its late in the night, I should hit the bed.

aristoBrat
11-28-2004, 06:34 AM
LOL -- I knew you were being sarcastic and I was trying to be too. :way to go:

Mike Temporale
11-28-2004, 01:56 PM

and night! Damn Jason! You've really created a addictive thing here. Where's the 10 step program? These sites are such a wealth of information and helpful people... Sorry, I'm getting off topic, What was this thread about again? :wink: