View Full Version : GAPI broken on new Orange SPV C500 running 2003 SE

The PocketTV Team
11-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Orange and HTC did it again:

This time, they managed to break GAPI again on the Orange SPV C500 in their new ROM 4.1.4.0.

1) GXIsDisplayDRAMBuffer returns 1: GAPI uses DRAM buffer

This means that Games and Video applications cannot access directly the raw frame buffer, i.e. this means slow games and slow video, and probably many other compatibility problems.

2) more serious:

GXSetViewport(20, 1, 0, 0) works, but then GXSetViewport(20, 145, 0, 0) returns 0 (error) with error status = 21 (The device is not ready.)... hum... interresting! That probably means that GAPI is not working too well.

3) critical:

GXBeginDraw returns NULL (error), with status = 21 (not ready).

so PocketTV tried again, just in case. It tried 100 times, to make sure. And GXBeginDraw returned the error one hundred times, with the error status mysteriously changing from 21 to 0 (?) after 22 calls.

In any case, it appears that GAPI is totally broken on this new device.

And to compound the problem, it is very difficult to identify this device, since HTC has not included the device model in the stribg returned by SPI_GETOEMINFO. It returns only "HTC", while the older C500 was identified as "Typhoon".

The key HKLM\Platform\Name is set to "Hornet Reference Platform" and the OS version is 4.21.1088.

The ROM version is 4.1.4.0 (but I don't know how to test it programmatically).

I supposed (not confirmed yet) that the software workaround that we use for the old, un-patched C500 will work, if we can identify the device correctly.

BTW this Smartphone was purchased in Denmark last week.

Mike Temporale
11-26-2004, 02:45 PM
I didn't know that Orange had released a new ROM image... When did this happen?