View Full Version : aarrgh..They screwed up on the 5600

nirav28
11-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Ok, a few of top of the ist flaws with the SMT5600.

I just recieved my phone couple of days ago. Overall, the phone is nice. It's small, great sound quality and screen display is the best is way better then my old Nokia 3650.

1> Can't route and listen to audio thats playing in WMP or betaplayer through a bluetooth headset. Aaarghh..they have this problem on the PPC and now the smartphone!!!

2> I installed Fonix VoiceDial. But when I try to dial a number through the bluetooth headset (HS810), it's conflicting with built-in voice dialer. Hold the button to get a voice prompt and I see the phone launching it's voice dialer and then hear the prompt from fonix voice dialer.

3> Can't lock the phone while having a phone conversation. The END button will end the call.

4> The included stereo headset buds are the size of a nickle. Can't fit them into average size ears!! A few people tried them on.

5> Even without any background applications running. The menus and program responses on the SMT5600 are very sluggish.

6> No indicator to tell me if bluetooth has established a connection with another device. Except for the bluetooth symbol at the top showing that bluetooth is ON. My old nokia displayed a flashing symbol whenever data was being transferred or when a connection was established.

7> When trying to turn up the volume on the speakerphone or headset using the side buttons. It show's earpiece volume. Does the phone mean headset or volume for the current profile?

8> Rocker button click or pushing down on the action button to select or execute something. . I still haven't gotten use to this. Wish I could map a number key to substitue the push down on the rocker button.

9> No transfer via bluetooth in file manager. It has IR transfer. But "send a file" with bluetooth. I've had this feature on the Nokia and Erricsson phones.

10> Only 3 filtering options in Contacts. It will only let you filter by contact category..such as personal , business . Cannot filter by phone contacts, Sim Contacts , Mobile, Home or work.

11> So far haven't had any luck trying to get a Bluetooth GPS receiver to connect to the 5600. I have a belkin receiver and tried to use Mapopolis with it. It seems I'm retricted to port 7 for incoming serial port connection.
Has anyone had any luck with other navigation apps on the 5600?

Of course there are other annoyances. But they've been discussed here before.

I thought this phone would be perfect. But not quite!

underpaid
11-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Sorry to hear you are not completlely pleased with your smartphone.

If it can help you feeling a little better, I can confirm I got Mapopolis working with my SP3 (which is same as SMT5600). I had the same issue as you described (COM7 not available).
I followed the instructions on Gpspassion (http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14715&whichpage=2).

Have not tried while using the BT headset though....

apeguero
11-22-2004, 07:23 PM
If you want to lock the keypad while in a call, press the power button then press number 3. That will lock the keypad. It doesn't disrupt the call at all. You can also use the send button while in a call to activate the speaker phone.

aristoBrat
11-22-2004, 08:07 PM
Nice list. It's always interesting to see how people who haven't used Windows Mobile before react to the OS. :)

To help manage your expecations (in case you want to return your 5600 and switch to another Windows Mobile Smartphone), here are the ones that are specific to the 5600. The rest of your list should apply to all Windows Mobile Smartphones.

4> The included stereo headset buds are the size of a nickle. Can't fit them into average size ears!! A few people tried them on.

8> Rocker button click or pushing down on the action button to select or execute something. . I still haven't gotten use to this. Wish I could map a number key to substitue the push down on the rocker button.

11> So far haven't had any luck trying to get a Bluetooth GPS receiver to connect to the 5600. I have a belkin receiver and tried to use Mapopolis with it. It seems I'm retricted to port 7 for incoming serial port connection.
Has anyone had any luck with other navigation apps on the 5600?

I left #5 (5600 being slugish) out because I didn't notice any difference in response vs. the MPx220, but that's very subjective. :)

jfreiman
11-23-2004, 07:47 PM

Strange, my friend Lisa (also a SMT5600 owner) says that her headphones are too large for her ears as well. I have the opposite problem, they are too small.

I sent her a picture of mine (she live on the opposite coast as me) to find out if we truely had the same headphones and she said they looked the same.

It was not until your posting that said your buds are the size of a nickle - mine are the size of a dime and a little too small!