View Full Version : "Houston, I think we have a Problem" with my MPx220

spokrie
11-18-2004, 02:44 PM
I went to my local Best Buy last night and inquired why there where no 220's on the floor. They then explained about the recall for the volume issue, bla bla bla, and that they would have 7 phones in on Saturday. Cool so far... I then pull my phone from my pocket and asked how could they help me since I purchased the phone already. I was asked if I purchased the extended warranty, I played dumb and said "No." "Well when did you buy it," "A month ago." Well If you had the extended warranty you could have exchanged it, but I don't think we can help you."

WHAT!!! Was this a Best Buy recall or a Motorola one? Am I way off base hoping my phone would be replaced?

Just wondering,

Scott

Mike Temporale
11-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Jerry is having a similiar problem, however Cingular was nice enough to ship out a replacement via overnight courier. Check out his post over here: http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=45004#45004

james840a
11-18-2004, 06:24 PM
I yesterday spoke to a best buy rep, regarding the same issue with the mx220. I was told that motorola recalled the phone for the upgrade and that the new updated phone were being shipped out on the 11/12/04 this month. I asked about the 30day policy and he said since it was a recall, that it can be exchanged at the store for the new updated one even after the 30days. If the store manager has a proplem ask them to call there 1-888-bestbuy number and have them talk to a wireless rep there. And if the rep plays the game, have the rep call motorola him self.
I mad a point to ask, since i am passed my 30day.. but i do have the exterend replacement plan for it. I will be going to my local best buy tonight to see if the have the new ones in stock, or to find out when there shipment is coming, but i will be talking to the main manager and not the sales person.

I also talked many different people at cingular regarding the mpx220, and they have no knowledge about the phone. I even call motorola.

with all this said and done, All three companys Best Buy, Motorola, and Cingular, have a very seriouse proplem with communication skills. As Each one of them were trying to point the fingue at the other for the proplem at hand. But i put my foot done at best buy, and was able to get answer.

Kris Kumar
11-19-2004, 06:43 AM
I yesterday spoke to a best buy rep, regarding the same issue with the mx220. I was told that motorola recalled the phone for the upgrade and that the new updated phone were being shipped out on the 11/12/04 this month. I asked about the 30day policy and he said since it was a recall, that it can be exchanged at the store for the new updated one even after the 30days.

My local Best Buy folks obviously don't know about this.

They said 30 days is up...and now we don't care about you.

Cingular does not care about me because I am not their customer. Anyway they don't even know the phone exists.

Motorola, they say they sent the update to Best Buy. I should get it from them. They will not help me.

HalM
11-21-2004, 02:35 PM
I exchanged my phone at BB yesterday. The floor rep knew all about the problem and the exchange itself took 2 minutes for the old SIM card to synch in the new phone. Of course the paperwork took an hour because of standing in line. Customer service is clearly BB's weakest link. Be sure to take the phone, and receipt at a minimum and if possible the original box with everything that came with the phone.

In any case, yes, BB is requiring either that the phone be inside the 30 day purchse window or that you have the extended service contract to do the exchange.

What is interesting, is that I know for a fact that the revised BIOS is available on at least one internal web site of one of the phones's developers. So it shouldn't be too long before it is "leaked" out for general distribution.

james840a
11-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Best buys extended service is a joke. I have the 2 yr extended service and they still refused to exchange it. Cingular is mailing me a new phone, hopefully it has the fix in it.

I am writing a letter to Best buy, Moto, cingular. And going to reqeust that Best buy refund my money on the 2yr extended service plan since it is a fruad. In the future to others, dont get a extended service plan, its just a waste of money.

With all this, i refuse to step foot into another best buy ever again, and to let others in the US know about this. Best buy does not care about its customer just there money.

All i can say is BB F#@&!@ with the wrong customer.

Jerry Raia
11-22-2004, 08:03 PM
Best buys extended service is a joke. I have the 2 yr extended service and they still refused to exchange it. Cingular is mailing me a new phone, hopefully it has the fix in it.

I am writing a letter to Best buy, Moto, cingular. And going to reqeust that Best buy refund my money on the 2yr extended service plan since it is a fruad. In the future to others, dont get a extended service plan, its just a waste of money.

With all this, i refuse to step foot into another best buy ever again, and to let others in the US know about this. Best buy does not care about its customer just there money.

All i can say is BB F#@&!@ with the wrong customer.

I am in exactly the same situation. Don't know if you saw my other post but Cingular sent me a phone with the same ROM (325) as the original.

The extended warranty is worthless.

james840a
11-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Jerry, i did read about your other post about it being the .325
I figure if it is better then mine, ill keep it, but if it is the same, ill just send back there replacement, and Letter thanking them for sending it, but that it is does not have the update, and send them the pictures i see on here of the updated rom .342 and recall notice.