View Full Version : Smartphones and the Web and different carriers???

Crack Monkey
11-17-2004, 04:38 PM
So, looks like I'm going to end up with a Smartphone of some variety in the near future. But I still have a few questions I'd like answered by people who aren't trying to sell me stuff.

1. What the deal with Mmode (and other carrier specific internet-type-thing)? It's not really the internet, so what is it? I don't think I need it - I just want to get POP3 email on demand, sync with workstation and PC, and occasionally surf the web (if possible).

2. Can I surf the web with these phones, or just the Mmode type sites? Obviously, with the small screen, surfing is limited, but I'd like to at least try it for chuckles.

3. Do I need the data plan from service providers to get access to the email/web? Or does the data plan only give access to Mmode (or whatever the carrier lables thier own similar thing)?

4. If I unlock a phone (like the SMT5600) to use on another network, does data access remain the same? Do I just insert the new SIM and everything works? Or do I need to change connection settings and stuff? What happens to Mmode software? Does it sit dormant, or can it be removed? Or???

I know I can ask the sales people all these questions, but sometimes they'll say anything to make a sale, and other times they just don't have a clue.

Thanks.
Alistair

jfreiman
11-20-2004, 12:03 AM
I am no expert, but I'll try to answer your questions:

1. mMode in my opinion is a portal to internet sites for WAP and mobile browsers. To me, it's clunky and not as friendly adding web pages to My Favorites.

The upside for John Doe is that mMode is set up on your PC and then sync'd via the airwaves to your phone's mMode page.

2. Surfing the web is easy, it's slow, but easy. I have around 20 web sites that I migrated over from my PocketPC to my smartphone (Audiovox SMT5600) which I use all the time. These frequently visited sites I've collected are all formated for PIE (Pocket Internet Explorer) or AvantGo - so they look great.

3. I got an unlimited data plan from ATT for around $24 a month. It includes mMode as well as local internet surfing on my phone. The plan does not include connections to other Bluetooth devices (notebooks, PDAs, etc.)

4. Check the forums, I don't know the answer, but people are already unlocking their phones and configuring their phones for other carriers voice/data plans.

I'm sure that If I've misstated anything the wise people on this forum will let us know. ;)

encece
11-20-2004, 02:42 PM
For number 4, you need to change connection settings for the data to work under a new carrier. Inserting the sim only allows the phone to work. Voice and txt messages.

mMode is AT&T's WAP service. A scaled down version of the internet meant to be phone friendly. But since you have a smartphone, you are not limited to these sites....but it is part of the data service anyway...so you'll be getting it no matter what under AT&T.

There is no program for mMode. It is a web address under the AT&T service. http://home. If you dont have AT&T...then you cant use mMode. Deleting the icon or Mobile Favorite will get rid of it for you.

Crack Monkey
11-23-2004, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. That answers all my questions for now.