View Full Version : AT&T Wireless Fades Into The Darkness

Kris Kumar
11-13-2004, 08:05 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mpx200.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2505&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0' target='_blank'>http://www.mpx200.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2505&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Earlier this evening I stopped by the local AT&T Company Store in the mall while waiting for a movie. Much to my wife's dismay I proceeded to go in to play with the SMT5600 that I have been hearing so much about. Since I have never actually had hands on it, I decided it was about time to. That is about the time that the store Manager approached me to "assist" me with anything I needed...I asked what the future held for the phone once AT&T was completely absorbed by Cingular, he seemed surprised by my question, but I found myself more surprised by his answer. He told me that AT&T was going to stop selling the phone on the 14th of November, yes this Sunday!, and he then proceeded to tell me that AT&T will be NO MORE on the 15th (Monday)."</i><br /><br />The first thought that came to my mind is that, this can't be true. How can Cingular instruct the AT&T Wireless stores to toss out everything that says AT&T, where will all the AT&T branded phones go? Luckily I had to go to the mall myself, so I decided to step into the local AT&T store. And much to my surprise, the representative confirmed that on Sunday night they will taking down all the signs, removing all the AT&T phones from the display and restocking with Cingular literature and phones. This means that the Audiovox SMT5600 will no longer be carried in the stores. And representative had no idea what will happen to them. I am guessing that since this Smartphone does not carry the AT&T logo, it will go through a firmware upgrade and get branded as Cingular. What are your thoughts? What do you think will happen to this superb Smartphone? And what about the data plans? If we are lucky, we will be reading some formal announcements on Monday 15th November 2004. At this time, all we know is that starting Monday, Cingular wants to have no association with the name AT&T Wireless.

revolution.cx
11-13-2004, 09:04 PM
I hope this is just a momentary re-align but I have a feeling it isn't. Just in time for PC Magazine's editor's choice award for the SMT5600.

I know this is an ATT thread BUT...

As a Smartphone developer I'm just completely sick of Microsoft's absolutely INCOMPETENT execution in this market. They are a joke.

They can't even get branding right which is literally Business 101.

Everyone else gets to show us their Treo or their Blackberry or their Sidekick. Not us! We get stuck with "did you see the new Dodong 5647x with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition? It rocks!" or "My Audiovox SMT5600 from ATT Wireless now Cingular is da bomb!".

Give it a name (how about Typhoon?) and pay the carriers some money.

The features that make the phone attractive now have been there for 2 years and just needed a little tweaking to make them right. It took 2 years?!?!?!?!?!

I'll just shut up now before I say what I really feel!

jfreiman
11-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Well, I bought my SMT5600 from ATT Wireless on 10/13 and today would be the last day I have to return it.

I love my phone and don't want to give it up.

I got it for $150 and I consider it a bargain since it essentially replaces my iPaq 4150 which I now never (rarely) use.

If my phone goes the way of the do-do bird, I'll be cool with that as long as Cingular (the company I was with for nearly a decade before the purchase of this phone) gives me a) a good WM2003SE bar style phone to choose from, b) at a good price and lastly, c) a good data rate plan.

Kris Kumar
11-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Well, I bought my SMT5600 from ATT Wireless on 10/13 and today would be the last day I have to return it.

I love my phone and don't want to give it up.

Existing AT&T Smartphone users can continue to enjoy their phones and the plans they signed up for.

The problem I am told will come up if you want to change your plan. Then Cingular may ask you to change the SIM, and also try to sell you their phone.

The representative told me that I may be able to contact Audiovox to get the unlock code. But couldn't more details. :? I would recommend that you give it a try.

Kris Kumar
11-13-2004, 10:57 PM
As a Smartphone developer I'm just completely sick of Microsoft's absolutely INCOMPETENT execution in this market. They are a joke.

They can't even get branding right which is literally Business 101.

Everyone else gets to show us their Treo or their Blackberry or their Sidekick. Not us! We get stuck with "did you see the new Dodong 5647x with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition? It rocks!" or "My Audiovox SMT5600 from ATT Wireless now Cingular is da bomb!".

Give it a name (how about Typhoon?) and pay the carriers some money.

This has been debated in the past. It is amazing how much clout the carriers have. They pretty much override the customer and manufacturer demands/features with their own requirements.

That said, I do like your idea. "Window Mobile Smartphone" is a long term. And having a simple brand name and somehow convincing the manufacturers and carriers is a cool idea.

I must add another point. All Smartphones have the "Designed for Windows Mobile" on the back of the device. ;-) That's a start.

Janak Parekh
11-14-2004, 01:53 AM
This has been debated in the past. It is amazing how much clout the carriers have. They pretty much override the customer and manufacturer demands/features with their own requirements.
Then how does T-Mobile work with Danger and make a elegant device name -- the "Sidekick"? Or how does PalmOne get to keep the name "Treo"? Or, more relevant, how does Samsung get to keep the "i600" moniker across different carriers, which if not catchy is at least simple?

My suspicion is that HTC designs the devices and then shops them to vendors and lets them brand the units any which way they see fit, since HTC is not globally known... which is sad, because HTC has done some absolutely superb work across the board, starting with the iPAQs a long time ago, and they truly deserve some recognition.

The worst, incidentally, are the HTC Pocket PC Phones. The "HTC Blue Angel", aka XDA III, aka MDA III, aka i-Mate PPC2k, etc. etc. :|

--janak

revolution.cx
11-14-2004, 01:59 AM
This is entirely off the cuff but here goes: Microsoft was able to partner with a TV network (NBC) so I think it's a matter of will as far as getting carriers on board.

Somewhere in their plan seems to be the idea that they will turn phones into a commodity hardware with their software as the OS, much like they have done with PC hardware running Windows. Unfortunately they need to be putting in a LOT more muscle to make that happen.

That model worked on the Pocket PC side because they were only up against a single competitor that made several serious mistakes (Palm).

Nokia and Sony/Ericsson and heck even Samsung must get a chuckle out of Microsoft's completely flaccid attempts at cracking the market.

The Windows Mobile branding is nice, even if it was overdue, but we still have the segmentation of Windows Mobile Smartphone and Windows Mobile Pocket PC (let's not even go into the "second edition" name). Signs are that the Windows Mobile moniker will identify one thing in the future so let's hope that's the case.

But ultimately it remains astounding that the HTC Typhoon is barely on sale in the USA. People have shown that they will fork out anywhere from $200 to $800 for a PDA. Why on earth can't the Smartphones be available in the retail/online sector just like PDAs?????

For 2 years the only way you could get an MS Smartphone was from a small importer, a website hobbyist selling them on the side or ebay. WTF?!??!!?

This would all be water under the bridge if MS Smartphones weren't the best or near the best in class.

Sorry to vent like this - yes our software could always be better but it's depressing that this market is about the size of the freakin' Newton in 1997.

PS I'm probably extra mad because I'm working on new Smartphone stuff even though it's STUPID for me to be doing so. I just love the new possibilities of this device.

altden2002
11-14-2004, 09:52 AM
revolution.cx
your frustration with lack of devices and branding is entirely your own problem, saying that microsoft does not know how to do business simply because current situation does not please you is quite arrogant.

Kris Kumar
11-15-2004, 02:18 AM
Okay let's stop worrying about the branding issue. I just feel that Microsoft is a little helpless and were trying their level best to get their foot in the smart phone market. Also its just the OS, hardware is manufactured by different folks. As opposed to Treos and Sidekicks which are manufactured by one company.

Okay let's get this thread back on track. :-)

With the AT&T changing signs in the next few hours.
- SMT 5600 will be taken off the shelves. And we don't know if it will come back on the shelf. The best guess is that it will be back post rebranding or reflashing.
- MPx220 which was to be launched on AT&T wireless. I have seen flyers and dummy model at the AT&T store. But now with the transition, they will be carrying the Cingular version. But Cingular has not officially announced the launch date. Partly because of firmware issues.

So bottomline the US market which had two Smartphones till this friday, has none starting Monday. :-( MPx220 will soon be back but what about the SMT5600. I guess we will learn Monday morning or sometime this week.

iJITSU
11-15-2004, 02:26 AM
revolution.cx
your frustration with lack of devices and branding is entirely your own problem, saying that microsoft does not know how to do business simply because current situation does not please you is quite arrogant.

And stating that it is entirely his own problem and only displeases him is quite incorrect.

jfreiman
11-15-2004, 05:03 AM
The disassociation from the ATT Wireless name sounds like a good move to me.

From what I read a few months ago, ATT is going to come out with a business only mobile phone service to attatch to it's land-line business services.

If this does happen, and they were to license the network from Cingular, then maybe this is where the inventory of phones is going?

Eitherway, ATT is still has a phone business and it's best for Cingular to remove anything and everything with ATTs name on it to rid themselves of any confusion.[/i]

windmiller
11-15-2004, 07:30 AM

This isnt a personl issue this is a problem that many of us in the industry are dissatisfied with.

revolution.cx
11-15-2004, 08:58 AM
Yah, whatever guy. If you have some intelligent insight to share about Microsoft's actions in the Smartphone arena please let us know.

And it isn't my problem it's your problem. How long do you think the last few Smartphone developers are going to hang around if things don't improve?

revolution.cx

revolution.cx
11-15-2004, 09:04 AM
I certainly hope that they do come back. Signs are that Cingular/ATTWS are recalling all the 220s for at least a reflash to fix the call volume problem but that they will still be stocking them.

The SMT5600 could be a little more problematic. It's got ATT all over it from the manuals to the CD to the phone menus.

Certainly nothing that isn't doable but unless they hit the ground running it's going to be a few weeks in my estimation to make all the changes and get the product back in the pipeline.

And to correct my earlier post, I forgot that the MPx200 has been available domestically for quite a while.

Amazon is still showing the -$25 deal on the SMT5600 so get it while you can!

So bottomline the US market which had two Smartphones till this friday, has none starting Monday. :-( MPx220 will soon be back but what about the SMT5600. I guess we will learn Monday morning or sometime this week.

Mike Temporale
11-15-2004, 12:11 PM
And to correct my earlier post, I forgot that the MPx200 has been available domestically for quite a while.

I don't think it's on sale any more. At least not from AT&T. I expect anything you find in stores is just left over stock. I can't imagine that Moto is working both models.

Fitch
11-15-2004, 04:34 PM
If you still must have this phone, the rebates on Amazon.com are still good until Wednesday, Nov. 17. With a 1-year agreement it's $25, and if you sign a 2-year, you make $25 after rebates and free shipping.

(perhaps the SMT team wants to make an affiliate link?)

Mike Temporale
11-15-2004, 05:03 PM
(perhaps the SMT team wants to make an affiliate link?)

We've got one already setup. Try here (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,6565) :wink: 8)

Kris Kumar
11-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Well if you go to ATTWireless.com, and try to look for Phones and PDAs, you will notice that it does not have SMT5600 anymore. :-(

Anyone checked out any ex-AT&T store. Wonder how it looks like. If they even took down the external signs on the building.

shahni2
11-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Well, it's 11/15 and this phone istill being offered from two online stores, amazon and att (chackout amazon for great rebates).

I bought the phone and on sunday, the att text that appears on my phone switched to Cingular. The phone still work great, even though I have the same SIMM and the phone is still (unfortunately) locked to ATT. Anyone now how to unlock this phone for free? Is it really worth it to unlock it if I'm not going to switch carriers. The phone is really not ideal for traveling as it's a tri-band, and only one of the bands is good for europe.

thanks, Nick.

shahni2
11-15-2004, 06:19 PM
att:

http://www.attwireless.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/audiovox-phones.jhtml?searchView=true

amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00068577C/ref=pd_ys_pym_all_k2a_8/104-8518687-7410368?v=glance&s=wireless

Kris Kumar
11-15-2004, 06:37 PM
att:

http://www.attwireless.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/audiovox-phones.jhtml?searchView=true

amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00068577C/ref=pd_ys_pym_all_k2a_8/104-8518687-7410368?v=glance&s=wireless

You are right...Now even I can navigate from the home page and get to the SMT5600. But I could not do that in the morning. :?

Also when I tried going in as the Corporate/Business customer on AT&T site, guess what I saw the MPx220 (Listed at $219, after instant $50 rebate for Business customer). :? :? The interesting thing was there was no image for this phone. All the other phones had one.

sojourner753
11-16-2004, 04:15 AM
I just went to an former ATT store earlier and talked to one of the reps.
The 5600 is still there. In fact he told me that it was already locked for Cingular.

Mine on the other hand is locked for ATT still.

He couldn't confirm how long they would be selling it though. He did say that the 220 would be coming in. But again, no definite date.

He mentioned Best Buy if I really wanted one. I said... thats okay.

I only have a few more days to return my audiovox. I'm feeling the lure of a clamshell again. But the 5600 is a great phone. I think that I can resist.

Maybe ...

Jerry Raia
11-16-2004, 05:09 AM
I would hold still and wait until all this shakes out before doing anything. This is not the time to be impulsive!

:crazyeyes:

choo_choo
11-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Anyone notice you can't hit the Cingular online store right now?

http://onlinestore.cingular.com

Looks like they're overwhelmed with AT&T customers trying to switch to a Cingular acct...

Jerry Raia
11-16-2004, 04:07 PM
They have been tweaking their site a lot too the last month or so. I've had problems getting to my account info often.

james840a
11-18-2004, 01:05 AM
Talked to a cingular rep, and they have not heard about the motorola MPX220 yet. They were kind of clueless.

shahni2
11-18-2004, 03:20 AM
I'll tell you, at first I was all for the MPX220, but with all of the volume issues I went with the Audio smt 5600 and I LOVE IT.

The features are pretty identical with the MPX220, as far as I can tell...two Audovox features however standout. First is Windows Media Player 10...not sure MPX 220 has this. 2nd is the Voice dialing from a bluetooth headset. All reviews on the MPX state this is a problem. Not so with the Audiovox, this feature works very well.

Also the MPX220 body and interior seem pretty similar to the mpx200 body(based on pictures only, haven't had a chance to hold one). One of the biggest turn offs for me on the MPX200 was the plasticky, boring body. The audivox is a very sharp, sleek phone.

Finally, the deal on Amazon is fantastic, you actually get $25 back after rebates. I just ordered one for my wife today. There does not seem to be any similar deal on the mpx220.

Anyways, this is just my two sense, I guess make a decision and then be happy about it...good luck shoppers.

Quick update# 2 - mpx 220 styling is much improved from 200, and looks like it does support Windows media 10. Also, for travelers, and in all fairness to the MPX 220, it is a quad band gsm phone.

Kris Kumar
11-18-2004, 04:59 AM
First is Windows Media Player 10...not sure MPX 220 has this.

MPx220 does not have WMP10. :-(

Kris Kumar
11-18-2004, 05:01 AM
Quick update# 2 - mpx 220 styling is much improved from 200...

Styling and a lot of other things have been improved. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,6701) ;-)