View Full Version : T-Mobile Signs Six Carriers to Wi-Fi Roaming Deal

Jerry Raia
11-12-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1724025,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000605' target='_blank'>http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1724025,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000605</a><br /><br /></div><i>"SAN FRANCISCO—T-Mobile's wireless division said Wednesday that it has signed partnership agreements with six other wireless carriers, allowing single sign-on services to 11 countries around the globe."</i><br /><br />I use T-Mobile hotspots all the time at airports (like right now) and Starbucks. I like to see that it is expanding even more. :)

Mr.Phil
11-13-2004, 12:00 AM
Interesting that T-Mobile has taken a different approach from it's competitors. Instead of pushing EDGE, it seems they have decided to keep going with GPRS, supplanted with WIFI. Does this mean they will hold off deploying any 3G platforms (at least in North America) until the bandwidth wars between verizon/sprint/etc. are a little more stable? One wonders whether this stategy will be a winner or a loser.

Hobbes
11-13-2004, 03:44 AM
I think its a good strategy.

Upgrading their current network to will cost billions and give 500 to 700kbps (if you are lucky). Partnering with other companies to share services (and costs) of an already inexpensive technology could reach more users, give them better speeds, allow them to tie together other products (like coffee cards at Starbucks :wink:), and add complemetary services for the 'roaming' users (that use the GPRS).

I know I'd rather use a full 11 to 54Mbps Wi-Fi hookup while I'm at Starbucks or in Grammercy Park than use EDGE to stream my radio. Just my two cents..

But what do I know.

ricksfiona
11-13-2004, 06:29 AM
I think this is a pretty good idea.. I'm just wondering how much the surgcharges will be when you roam from one person's network to the other.

I have T-Mobile and I love it. There's always a Starbucks close-by, so I can probably live without roaming services. It would be NICE though to be able to go ALMOST anywhere and access the 'Net.

The future is here...

Kris Kumar
11-13-2004, 08:15 PM
The idea does have potential provided:

- Pocket Phone Editions with built-in WiFi get smaller.
- WiFi cards are supported on Smartphones. Which I am not sure about, because all the new Smartphones have miniSD and only MPx220 has the externally accessible one.

The current plan will work well with the enterprise customers, and I believe they are ones T-Mobile is trying to get. The ones with laptop/Pocket PC AND a phone.

For folks like me who want to carry only one device...:-( I hope Smartphone also gets built-in WiFi in the future.