View Full Version : Updated MPx220 F/W is .342

sclui56
11-09-2004, 11:16 PM
According to the lastest info I rec'd from Moto, the good news is that they now have updated F/W, revision is .342 (dot three four two), as compared to mine which is .325 (you can verify that Start->Setting->About-- Manufacturer.

The other good news is that they're flashing the units in the channel as well as at Cingular, I presume Cingular's warehouses & Moto's warehouses.

The BAD news for those of us who have the exclusively-released-by-BestBuy units is that Moto will not make this available for download (why change policy, right?), so the only way to get the updated F/W on our units require a trip to the National Service Center.

Before someone jumps the gun, this is what I was told by a Moto employee, I have not sent my unit in yet so I don't know if it in fact will solve the volume issue.

Kris Kumar
11-10-2004, 03:59 AM
I feel used. Moto and Cingular used me as guinea pig. :-(

I hope that Moto makes this info public. I mean contact the people who had written to them. Instead us having to ping them again.

sclui56
11-10-2004, 04:13 AM
Well Kris, I hate to burst your bubble in terms of MOT taking the steps to contact people who emailed them. My case started on 10/10 & was changed to SOLVED on 11/5 while it was being "escalated". When pressed, their T/S told me it was their system error which caused the status change, you want to know what I think? I wished I had that kind of magical help desk system while I was in charge of an IT department!

I was just being a PITA and followed up again, and again, but this time I went a different route - investors relations as I am also a port manager. Somehow the nice lady put me in touch with the right person and info started flowing today.

BUT, it really shouldn't be like that, they didn't have to deny the issue, just tell people that they're investigating instead of turning folks away - If they were so certain that there's no issue, why then would they tell people to exchange the units or send in for repair, this is certainly counter productive IMHO, cost them $ as well as goodwill, the latter is hard to put a $ on.

Then they decided not to distribute the F/W upgrade any other way, ok, is it because of corporate policy or that the only conduit to do so require more than a USB cable? Who knows?

I feel used as well ;) but it was our fault you know, rushing out & grabbing these new toys up, and pulling a gun on those who refuse to sell to us :)

Kris Kumar
11-10-2004, 04:45 AM
Hmm..that explains why I haven't gotten much info out of the emails I have exchanged with the customer service folks.

You are right, it shouldn't be this hard to get some proper acknowledgement.

Just like I decided not to buy HP, I will have to decide not to buy Moto products.

It's sad that an excellent product like MPx220 is getting all this bad publicity and wrath, because of Moto's own PR skills.

cortez
11-10-2004, 05:45 AM
Moto has PR skills??? :drinking:

Jerry Raia
11-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Maybe if we keep the heat on them we might be able to get some results. I am going to start with a personal letter to the CEO of Motorola. Now before you all start to laugh, every time I have had a problem with some product that I couldn't get any help with I have done this.

Every time I got a response from someone quite high up. It does work. If you do this, hand address the envelope. Be positive and express concern over the issues you have.

Keep it short, one page at the most. They do read their snail mail. I can almost guarantee that a letter you mail in this manner will get much further up the food chain at MOT than any call or email ever will.

The downside is only the time it takes to do it. I'll even take one step out of the work involved for you:

EDWARD J. ZANDER
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
MOTOROLA INC.
1303 E. ALGONQUIN ROAD
SCHAUMBURG, IL 60196
UNITED STATES

sclui56
11-11-2004, 01:10 AM
I agree with Jerry 100%, there're many ways to skin the cat. I recall being stranded after 9/11 at one of our newly acquired remote offices, we were changing the network over to ours but the circuits were provisioned incorrectly by ATT. At that point, no one would respond to non-essential request (read non-security/military related) and the local telco wouldn't do anything to assist, kept telling us the circuit was good.

Since were were really pressed for time, pulled up the Bloomberg info and contacted the office of the SVP in charge of infrastructure, well, SYP didn't call but the secretary was able to make things happen, and all that took was a 5 min job in the provisioning department.

I am not suggesting to cry wolf but there're times where you feel you're not getting anywhere, that's the time to seek out alternatives.

Hobbes
11-11-2004, 04:54 AM
...sounds risky to me. If they can't be trusted to QA their phone, or train their support staff, or be responsive to customers (in light of posts on several other mobile forums), I can't trust them to handle 1000's of ROM upgrades (let alone one)

Plus, I'm paying Cingular a monthly tax just to use the phone! If I'm not going to have it for 10 to 14 business days, er one month, I should at least be addressed (and compensated).

Because, like a novice consumer, I signed up with a new 2 year agreement, I am stuck. I suppose I'll have to wait for the official response from MOT but I don't exepct them to do so at all. Or maybe someone will leak the ROM update and find some way to get it in the hands of the consumer after all.

Jerry Raia
11-11-2004, 05:52 AM
Don't be too unrealistic. These are huge companies. We have to learn how to get what we want from them. Think of this as a game of chess. They use strategy all the time to get what they want.

james840a
11-12-2004, 06:09 PM
I dont know about the rest of you but am seeing consumer fraud, And think the consumer affairers and better business burieo should be aware.

james840a
11-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Im thinking about righting a letter to Motoral ceo myself. And CC to Cingular ceo, I mean i spent $400 some hard reand money, and to see this kind of think going on with a product is out ragesous. I will let them know that i am not the only one, and that other mx220 ownes share my feelings about the phone its self and the way they have conducted themselfs as far as deniing it.
And if i have to CC it the better business and consumer affairs.

P.S. dont worry ill use spell check.

Mike Temporale
11-12-2004, 07:20 PM
P.S. dont worry ill use spell check.

:rotfl:

Sorry, but that's exactly what I was thinking. ;-)