View Full Version : GPRS Settings on T-Mobile USA for SMT5600?

MitzEclipse
11-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Hi All,

Can someone please post their GPRS settings for T-Mobile for the SMT5600?

I'm itchin' to use the internet apps on this phone!

Thanks !

Kris Kumar
11-10-2004, 04:19 AM
Start->Settings->Data Connections

Menu->Edit Connections->GPRS Connections

Menu->Add

Description: TMobile <this can be any name you like>
Connects to: The Internet
Access Point: internet2.voicestream.com
User Name:
Password:
Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
IP Address:

Click Done

Menu->Add

Description: TMobile WAP <this can be any name you like>
Connects to: WAP Network
Access Point: wap.voicestream.com
User Name:
Password:
IP Address:

Click Done

Click Done again

Proxy Connections->Menu-Add

Description:T-Zones WAP Proxy
Connects From: The Internet
Connects To: WAP Network
Proxy (name:port): 216.155.165.50
Type: WAP

Click Done

Click Done

Done again

Done once more and you should be ready to go.

MitzEclipse
11-10-2004, 06:56 AM
Thank you Kris!! I can now surf the web and wap sites via pocket IE, however, I cannot get onto MSN Messenger. Is this a different service?

Kris Kumar
11-10-2004, 07:09 AM
The same settings apply.

I can't remember of anything special that needs to be done for MSN Messenger. :-(

The only thing I can think of, in the Settings->Data Conections.

For Internet Connection: Automatic may be selected. Try forcing it to the TMobile or whatever name you gave for the internet connection setting.

Is MSN giving any specific error message?

MitzEclipse
11-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Kris - I checked the setting and it is set to Automatic - i cannot change it - there is no option to change.

THe error message is as follows:

Unable to connect. Verify your dialup or proxy settings are correct, and try again.

Any thoughts?
Thank you

Kris Kumar
11-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Kris - I checked the setting and it is set to Automatic - i cannot change it - there is no option to change.

If it is not letting you change from Automatic in the Settings->Data Connections->Internet Connection box. Then it seems that there is no internet connection defined.

Go back into...
Start->Settings->Data Connections

Menu->Edit Connections->GPRS Connections

And you should see TMobile or whatever name you had given you were creating the entry, as per my initial instructions.

Select it and then Menu->Edit.

You should see the following information.
Description: TMobile <this can be any name you like>
Access Point: internet2.voicestream.com
User Name:
Password:
IP Address:

the connects to field is very important.

MitzEclipse
11-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Hi Kris,

I didn't use that setting because internet2.voicestream.com is reaserved for when you pay the more expensive $19.99 plan for GPRS. I use the $4.99 plan (or 2.99 grandfathered plan) that supposedly gives me WAP and WEB sites, just no vpn'ing, corporate mail, etc.

I used these instructures that aristoBat sent across:
http://www.expansys-usa.com/forumthread.asp?code=108280&thread=26

Now, i can surf web and wap sites, but still no go on MSN Messenger. It LOOKS like it is signing in now, but I get a different error message:

"Sign in to MSN Messenger Service failed because the service is not responding. Try again later."

I've tried for the past 30 min - i doubt the service has had trouble this long...

Thanks

underpaid
11-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Could it be that Messenger is using other ports than the ones used for www, wap and mail. I think your $4.99 plan limits the available ports. Only the $19.99 plan have all the ports open.

MitzEclipse
11-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Could it be that Messenger is using other ports than the ones used for www, wap and mail. I think your $4.99 plan limits the available ports. Only the $19.99 plan have all the ports open.

Not sure why this is the case since I was able to use AIM when I had a Nokia 6820 and a Tungsten T (surfed via BT / GPRS).

Is there a way to change the port on MSN Messenger to use Port 80? (Since I can get WEB pages, I should be able to use port 80 over IM, theoretically?)

Kris Kumar
11-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Could be that the ports are blocked. On the $4.99 I believe T-Mobile had put up restrictions. So that could be the problem.

Try Agile Messenger its a free app, that does yahoo, msn and aol. And it works over http. So can go around the port blockade.

aristoBrat
11-10-2004, 08:21 PM
(Since I can get WEB pages, I should be able to use port 80 over IM, theoretically?)
Correct.

I've never heard of anyone being able to use the built-in MSN Messenger over port 80, though -- there's no setting. Agile's supposed to work fine over port 80, but I've never messed with it.

Keep in mind that T-Mobile is allegedly "tightening down their network", so what works today may not tomorrow (with the t-zones plans). :(

MitzEclipse
11-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Thank you all for your continuing support - it again is much appreciated.

wanted to recap: After following Kris' instructions, I am able to surf WAP and WEB sites. It's a no go for MSN Messenger (built in) and Agile Messenger (all 4 IM services)

Is there a config file somewhere that will let me change the port to 80 on agile messenger?

When I try to log in via AIM, it just displays the 'registering' logo - the phone w/ circles going to a globe - but nothing happens. It just keeps doing this and I don't get a log on or denied response.

Can anyone confirm at a higher level that IM clients are not able to be in use over port 80, even though I can surf WEB and WAP sites and i was able to use AIM Messenger on the Palm previously? (Using the $2.99/$4.99 gprs plan)

Thanks again!

MitzEclipse
11-11-2004, 08:47 AM
Kris - could you also post your MMS settings for T-Mobile?
Thanks

orgwizard
02-19-2005, 06:36 AM
I used the settings from one of the other posts and was in the same situation with messenger not working. I don't think it's t-mobile though. I have the 4.99 plan and everything works except MSN. On the suggestion of another forum, I installed Agile Messenger from http://www.agilemobile.com/downloads.html and without any tweaking I was able to get it working with my MSN account. Works great! Plus you have the ability to connect to the other services like AIM and ICQ. It's like Trillian for the smartphone. This version is only a beta, and I haven't seen what the cost will be if any for the final release. Hope this helps.

By the way, if you go to Microsofts Smartphone website, they have a link to a Messenger update, and the site specifically says that messenger won't work until you install this update. On the down side, to get the update they send you to the cell providers site to see if an update is available. But I've unlocked mine and use T-Mobile. Will be interested if anyone out there can check ATT and see if they have an update and if it fixes the messenger bug.
If so, kindly post.

Vuvision
02-25-2005, 10:33 PM
I have the $4.99 tzone plan and configured exactly to the below setting. I was able to get my POP3 email in outlook, but have this error when trying to hook up to the internet:

"Unable to connect. Verify your dial or proxy settings are correct, and try again."

Do I need to set up: Internet explorer => Menu => Options => Connections => Select network => ? (The internet or WAP network?)

TIA

Description: TMobile WAP <this can be any name you like>
User Name:
Password:
IP Address:

[i]Click Done

Click Done again

Proxy Connections->Menu-Add

Description:T-Zones WAP Proxy
Connects From: The Internet
Connects To: WAP Network

Click Done

Click Done

Done again

Done once more and you should be ready to go.

Kris Kumar
02-26-2005, 05:39 AM
I have never messed with those settings.
I have the "Automatically detect settings" checked.

To answer the question, I believe you need to select the WAP Network, if the "Automatically detect settings" is unchecked. If you do not have anything configured in the Internet, then WAP Network must be selected.

Vuvision
02-26-2005, 04:39 PM
I was with Cingular last week, and just made the switch to Tmobile. When I was with Cingular, I was able to config my SMT5600 setting to surf the web & receive POP3 just fine.

I've checked and re-checked the Tmobile proxy & GPRS setting. Strange thing is that I was able to send & receive POP3 email, but no go when trying to surf the web. At least I know that I have some internet/WAP connection. Wonder if Tmobile might have changed their setting.

What am I doing wrong here :confused totally: :(

Islanti
02-26-2005, 06:22 PM
I was with Cingular last week, and just made the switch to Tmobile. When I was with Cingular, I was able to config my SMT5600 setting to surf the web & receive POP3 just fine.

I've checked and re-checked the Tmobile proxy & GPRS setting. Strange thing is that I was able to send & receive POP3 email, but no go when trying to surf the web. At least I know that I have some internet/WAP connection. Wonder if Tmobile might have changed their setting.

What am I doing wrong here :confused totally: :(

I know T-Mobile's T-Zones plan requires you to use their proxy server for HTTP and WAP. I'm using the $20 plan because the Pocket PC's proxy support is garbage (I was using my hx4700 on a SE T610 previously). When I was using T-Zones, with the proxy enabled, I couldn't get email. Disabling the proxy meant no HTTP. I suspect the T-Zones issue will be the same on a Smartphone, but I'm not positive.

I realize this isn't exactly an answer to your question, but hopefullly it helps some.

Vuvision
02-27-2005, 07:51 PM
All righty ... after hours playing with the provided setting in this forum, I was was going out of my mind not being able to get the t-zones $4.99 to work. There is another way to get around this problem that many t-mobile folks with the $4.99 & $9.99 tzones have been encountering.

Below is the cut & paste of the screen by screen of this excellent instruction. Click HERE (http://wap.x2-hosting.com/t-zones/) for link to the author, kudos & full credit to the originator of this write up :werenotworthy:

The Problem
T-Mobile T-Zones no longer works to access web pages.

Solution
Start -> Settings -> Data Connections
Menu -> Edit Connections
Step One
GPRS Connections
You need to have a connection to T-Mobile GPRS
Settings
User name:
Password:

Primary DNS: 216.155.165.50
or

IP Address:
http://wap.x2-hosting.com/t-zones/screen2.jpg http://wap.x2-hosting.com/t-zones/screen3.jpg http://wap.x2-hosting.com/t-zones/screen3_n.jpg

Step Two
Proxy Connections
Add a Proxy Connection (I named mine T-Zones)
Settings
Connects from: The Internet

Proxy (name:port): 216.155.165.50:8080
Type: HTTP
or

User name:
Password:
http://wap.x2-hosting.com/t-zones/screen4.jpg http://wap.x2-hosting.com/t-zones/screen16.jpg http://wap.x2-hosting.com/t-zones/screen5.jpg

Step Three
Go into IE
Options -> Connections
Uncheck Automatically detect settings.
Select network: WAP Network
http://wap.x2-hosting.com/t-zones/screen6.jpg

In the proxy setting, I've opted for the HTTP type with connection To the Internet. Works great for me. :clap:

Spatulator
03-02-2005, 06:30 PM
For anyone who was having problems getting agile messenger to work on a wap connection, there is an alternative. I found this freeware app that Im pretty sure uses port 80 for aim/yahoo/icq/msn. I have the $20 full internet plan so I cant confirm that it works but maybe someone can give it a try and let us all know. The interface isnt as nice as agile but it uses less memory, so I might use it anyway because my messaging app is something I like to keep running constantly. http://www.movsoftware.com/products/imov/imov.htm