View Full Version : Basic Tips and Tricks for the 5600?

MitzEclipse
11-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Is there a faq or tips and tricks for the 5600? I am a newbie for this phone and to the smartphone community... had some previously, but never really used it due to their size.

I'm itching to use this phone but I dont' want to keep asking so many questions;)

Is there somewhere where there is a faq?

Such as how do I use the radio?
how do I transfer files to it?
is there AIM for the smart phone?
what are the great power applications for it?
how do you sort contacts by FIRST name rather than last name?
how do i do one-touch dialing / speed dial for my contacts?
where can I download nokia-style ring tones (ie: for the ring ring and text message) so i can make my phone sound like a nokia?

THere are more, but this is what's burning on the surface ;)

Thanks!!

Mike Temporale
11-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Is there somewhere where there is a faq?

Ya, this site is one giant FAQ. Run a couple searches, and you'll find the answer to most of your questions.

Such as how do I use the radio?

Can't help here, as I don't have the phone. Does it really have a FM radio?

how do I transfer files to it?

Connect the phone to your computer, and then using file manager, you can browse "My computer/mobile device/smartphone"

is there AIM for the smart phone?

try here (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=44390#44390)

what are the great power applications for it?

There are many great application. Do a search for "must have applications" or "favorite apps" you should find a more than a couple threads on this. Here's a recent thread (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6573) on the subject.

how do you sort contacts by FIRST name rather than last name?

don't think you can, however, you can easily search them by press the keys for the persons first name. ie: 6453 = mike, any contact that has a combination of those letters in their contact info will show up. It's pretty cool.

how do i do one-touch dialing / speed dial for my contacts?

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,5880 This can be used for contacts or applications.

where can I download nokia-style ring tones (ie: for the ring ring and text message) so i can make my phone sound like a nokia?

eek! Not sure. Why would you want to make it sound like a Nokia? :wink:

BTW, check out this thread (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6372&highlight=ringtone+folder) for information on where to put the ringtones so they won't disappear.

aristoBrat
11-09-2004, 08:20 PM
There's no "radio" radio in this phone... :?:

MitzEclipse
11-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Thank you all - i am now just confirming that there is no radio - i swore i saw the radio function on the packaging... oh well. Thanks for responding to my thread Mike and aristoBat

I want to have it sound like a nokia because i am trained to respond to those ring tones ;) Is there anywhere i can download those ring tones?

Here are some more questions:

1. how can I delete all text messages at once instead of going through each text and deleting manually
2. is there a short cut for locking the device rather than a key lock? (key lock is holding down end)
3. How do you initiate speaker phone while the phone is on a call? I don't see any options...
4. is there a way to program the phone to blink or change color on the screen when ther eis a missed call or text message waiting? when there is a missed call or text waiting - the phone just stays in 'sleep' mode so i can't tell there is a missed call/text unless i hit the unlock soft key on my phone.

Thanks again!!

AMelis
11-10-2004, 01:42 AM
Thank you all - i am now just confirming that there is no radio - i swore i saw the radio function on the packaging...

There is no radio, the music variety. Some people refer to turning the radio off (which is accurate) when turning on flight mode. The phone IS a radio and you do turn off the radio portion to use the PDA portion when in flight.

2. is there a short cut for locking the device rather than a key lock? (key lock is holding down end)

Shorter than pushing one key? 8O No.

3. How do you initiate speaker phone while the phone is on a call? I don't see any options... Push and hold the send (the green telephone) key.

Mike Temporale
11-10-2004, 02:55 AM

Shorter than pushing one key? 8O No.

Actually there is. Start / Settings / More / Security / Enable Phone Lock

You can set the amount of idle time (1 minute, 2, 5, etc....) before the phone will automatically lock. You also set the password to unlock the handset.

I used this for a while, but I found it easier and more convenient to press and hold the end key.

Mike Temporale
11-10-2004, 03:04 AM
I want to have it sound like a nokia because i am trained to respond to those ring tones ;) Is there anywhere i can download those ring tones?

Fair enough. I did a google search, and I didn't have much luck. There must be a way to get the ringtones off some of those Nokia's.

1. how can I delete all text messages at once instead of going through each text and deleting manually

Not that I am aware of. I have seen other people request this feature.

4. is there a way to program the phone to blink or change color on the screen when ther eis a missed call or text message waiting? when there is a missed call or text waiting - the phone just stays in 'sleep' mode so i can't tell there is a missed call/text unless i hit the unlock soft key on my phone.

Cool idea. I don't think I've seen anything that does this, but there might be some software out there. Certainly it's not a feature in the OS.

aristoBrat
11-10-2004, 03:25 AM
To delete all text messages:

Start > System Management > Space Maker > Menu > Erase SMS

You can choose All or Read.

If you do this frequently, you can assign Space Maker to a speed dial key to avoid having to wade thru the menus...

MitzEclipse
11-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Mike & Aristo - you guys are great - thank you for your continued support.

I too did google searches and couldn't find any nokia ringtones - i'll keep trying ..

thank you for the tip to erase all text messagse - that's great!!

On to more questions ;)

1. Is there a short cut key to go directly to writing a text message? (other than assiging it a short cut speed dial key) Maybe reprogram the right soft key instead of going to contacts? And how do you reprogram the right soft key?

2. THe 5 icons at the top of the home screen, is there a way to set those so they don't rotate as I use the program?

3. In the PPC days, I downloaded an application (Wisbar?) so I can CLOSE each app i wasn't using anymore and free up the memory - is there something like that for the smartphone?

4. How long or how many numbers does the call history track until you clear it?

5. how do you make it so when you activesync the program on the PC does not maximize or is launched in the middle of the screen, rather, it syncs but in the minimized mode inside the system tray?

Thanks again!

aristoBrat
11-10-2004, 06:36 PM
2. THe 5 icons at the top of the home screen, is there a way to set those so they don't rotate as I use the program?
That's a function of the particular home screen that you're using. The AT&T home screen, for example, has static icons that don't rotate. Every other home screen I've seen puts the icons in the order that you last used them. I suppose you could open up AT&T's home screen, see how they did it, and apply that XML into your favorite homescreen.

3. In the PPC days, I downloaded an application (Wisbar?) so I can CLOSE each app i wasn't using anymore and free up the memory - is there something like that for the smartphone?
Start > System Management > Task Manager can be used to close apps. Not as integrated as wisbar was. You might want to look for an app called xBar and see if that's more to your liking.

5. how do you make it so when you activesync the program on the PC does not maximize or is launched in the middle of the screen, rather, it syncs but in the minimized mode inside the system tray?
If you go into Tools | Options in ActiveSync on your PC, there's a checkbox on the 2nd or 3rd tab that talks about opening the window every time it syncs. Uncheck that.

encece
11-10-2004, 06:40 PM
I'd say RTFM...but there really is none included with the phone :D

Mike Temporale
11-10-2004, 08:17 PM
1. Is there a short cut key to go directly to writing a text message? (other than assiging it a short cut speed dial key) Maybe reprogram the right soft key instead of going to contacts? And how do you reprogram the right soft key?

Nah, that's more of how the OS is setup. If there is anyway to change this, it would be through some 3rd party hack. BTW, the functionality does change from time to time. If you've missed a call, it changes from contacts to call history, and if you received an email, it changes to message.

4. How long or how many numbers does the call history track until you clear it?

Not sure... I clean mine out on occasion, and as of right now it has entries as far back as Oct 20th. I'll try not to clean it out and see if it changes.

MitzEclipse
11-10-2004, 11:08 PM
encece - you're right - there is no manual otherwise I woudl have already read that ;) not really a FAQ for this phone either. Sorry about the newbie questions! hopefully other newbies can take advantage of this thread as well!

Mike Temporale - thanks for the confirmation there's no way to shortcut to a text other than setting speed dial.

Couple more quesitons:
1. i unlocked my phone via c500-unlock.com. Is there a way to see what frequencies I am using on this phone? Is it the 1900/900/1800 or the 850 version? I asked them and they said it's the 850 version, but i just wanted to confirm.

2, is there a way to make it so the phone doesn't go into HEADSET profile when you put a headset in? Basically the phone will just take the current profile (whatever that may be at the time) and use that instead of the headset?

3. is it possible to create more sound profile's like OUTDOOR, MEETING, etc? I want to create one more.

4. How do I remove and add items from the start menu? (ie: remove the mmode and add calculator to the first start menu screen)

5. Is there an application that is like the palm app "Filez" that will give me an over view of the smartphone's health (ie: battery life, space left, resources used, apps open, etc)

You guys are great, thank you again for answering these questions!

encece
11-11-2004, 12:47 AM
encece - you're right - there is no manual otherwise I woudl have already read that ;) not really a FAQ for this phone either. Sorry about the newbie questions! hopefully other newbies can take advantage of this thread as well!

Since we're all one great smartphone community and you are a member of both, Modaco has an FAQ section...the first 48 hours with your smartphone thread may be good for you.

Mike Temporale - thanks for the confirmation there's no way to shortcut to a text other than setting speed dial.

Clicking on the messages pluin on the homescreen will bring you to the inbox as well...but not start a new message, as it wouldnt know which to create it as...email (multiple accounts), SMS or MMS.

1. i unlocked my phone via c500-unlock.com. Is there a way to see what frequencies I am using on this phone? Is it the 1900/900/1800 or the 850 version? I asked them and they said it's the 850 version, but i just wanted to confirm.
You're using either 850 or 1900 in the US....1800 and 900 are European frequencies. I dont know of anyway to tell if you are using 850 or 1900 though.

2, is there a way to make it so the phone doesn't go into HEADSET profile when you put a headset in? Basically the phone will just take the current profile (whatever that may be at the time) and use that instead of the headset?
None that I know of...just unplus the headset.

3. is it possible to create more sound profile's like OUTDOOR, MEETING, etc? I want to create one more.
Not that I know of (again!) but you can edit a current profile.

4. How do I remove and add items from the start menu? (ie: remove the mmode and add calculator to the first start menu screen)
You can app unlock your phone by using a program called AEConfig or DisableSecurity (originally made for the e200) This is necessary to move the first few apps in the start menu. I use this to create sub folders in the startmenu. There is also an app called Jeyo Personalizer that will allow you to change the order as well.

5. Is there an application that is like the palm app "Filez" that will give me an over view of the smartphone's health (ie: battery life, space left, resources used, apps open, etc)
SP Task Manager has this feature. There is also a homescreen plugin that will show this info on the homescreen as well.

May I add that absolutely ALL of your questions have been answered in either this or the Modaco forums. Try to SEARCH for the info before asking. You WILL find answers to all of your questions and the 100's more you havnt even asked yet! :D

MitzEclipse
11-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Thanks encece -

I'm wondering why adding / removing /moving items in start menu isn't a built in functionality of the smartphone OS... Odd.

I'll search the FAQ's -

real quick - is there a reason why my keypad doesn't light up when i'm typing a text message? This happens on some fields as well on pocket IE.

Finally, is there a way to disable the predictive words that come after the curser, it's annoying having another word pop up to the right. (I don't, however, want to turn off T9 as I need it to type text messages!)

Mike Temporale
11-11-2004, 03:22 AM
You're using either 850 or 1900 in the US....1800 and 900 are European frequencies. I dont know of anyway to tell if you are using 850 or 1900 though.

There is an application on your phone called Band Selector. Look under Settings/Phone or Start/more/ Accessories If the Band Selector is set to PCS then you are using 1900, if it's set to GSM/DCS Dual then your using 850.

...intended for use in GSM900, DCS1800, and PCS1900 band wireless handsetsTaken from here (http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2078)

Not that I know of (again!) but you can edit a current profile.

I really wish Microsoft would give us the ability to add profiles. Even if they had 2 or 3 extra blank profiles that we could customize for our own needs.

aristoBrat
11-11-2004, 03:34 AM
FWIW, I've not been able to find the band selection utility in the AT&T, imate or Orange ROMs. :?:

Mike Temporale
11-11-2004, 04:31 AM
FWIW, I've not been able to find the band selection utility in the AT&T, imate or Orange ROMs. :?:

for some reason manufacturers can put this app in any location. On my phone it's in settings, on the Mio I reviewed it was under accessories. Try looking for BandSelectCHT.exe in the /windows folder.

MitzEclipse
11-11-2004, 06:18 AM

for some reason manufacturers can put this app in any location. On my phone it's in settings, on the Mio I reviewed it was under accessories. Try looking for BandSelectCHT.exe in the /windows folder.

I too like aristoBAT could not find the band selection utility on my aws SMT5600. I looked in both windows folders and could not find BandSelectCHT.exe ?

MitzEclipse
11-11-2004, 07:06 AM
Also, what utility do i use on the smartphone to access the "notes" within outlook?

How do I sync those "notes"?

MitzEclipse
11-13-2004, 01:11 AM
Another question ;)

How do you stop the T9 text editor from predicting words? I want it to predict the word i'm writing, but not words to the right of the cursor.

Can anyone help me locate the setting to turn this off?

Mike Temporale
11-13-2004, 02:14 AM
I too like aristoBAT could not find the band selection utility on my aws SMT5600. I looked in both windows folders and could not find BandSelectCHT.exe ?

Maybe the name is different a little.

If you can't find it, see if you have a file called Band.cpl.xml in the windows folder. If you have this file, then the bandselector app should be found inthe settings/phone menu.

Mike Temporale
11-13-2004, 02:27 AM
Also, what utility do i use on the smartphone to access the "notes" within outlook?

Notes do not sync to the smartphone. You'll need a third party app to do notes. Another feature that I can't figure out why Micorosoft left it out. :(

Mike Temporale
11-13-2004, 02:30 AM
Another question ;)

How do you stop the T9 text editor from predicting words? I want it to predict the word i'm writing, but not words to the right of the cursor.

Can anyone help me locate the setting to turn this off?

T9 has changed in WM2003SE. So I can't comment on this, since I don't have one. I'm not at all familiar with t9 on the new phones.

MitzEclipse
11-13-2004, 03:43 AM

Maybe the name is different a little.

If you can't find it, see if you have a file called Band.cpl.xml in the windows folder. If you have this file, then the bandselector app should be found inthe settings/phone menu.

Thanks for the replies again Mike.

I don't have Band.cpl.xml anywhere on my phone. This must be something AT&T left out. Is there a way i can just download that file and instlal it on my phone? Or is it more complicated than that?

MitzEclipse
11-13-2004, 03:49 AM

Notes do not sync to the smartphone. You'll need a third party app to do notes. Another feature that I can't figure out why Micorosoft left it out. :(

Are there any freeware apps that will let you transfer and/or sync notes to the phone?

I only see SmartphoneNotes and SmartNotes, however, both cost $

MitzEclipse
11-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Another question, lol, is it possible to display the TIME/Clock while you are in a phone call?

It's good that it shows how long the call's duration is, however, I'd also like to see the clock - any way to do this?

MitzEclipse
11-15-2004, 09:10 AM
[quote=MitzEclipse]I want to have it sound like a nokia because i am trained to respond to those ring tones ;) Is there anywhere i can download those ring tones?

I was able to find standard SMS and a traditional "Ring Ring" ring tone.

I've uploaded it here incase anyone wants them:
http://www.mitzeclipse.com/temp/normal_rings.zip

Thanks all for your help in searching for these

Mike Temporale
11-15-2004, 12:14 PM
I don't have Band.cpl.xml anywhere on my phone. This must be something AT&T left out. Is there a way i can just download that file and instlal it on my phone? Or is it more complicated than that?

It's more complicated than that. They must have changed things in WM2003SE then. I'm working on buying one off ebay. If I get my hands on it, I'll let you know. 8)

Mike Temporale
11-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Are there any freeware apps that will let you transfer and/or sync notes to the phone?

I only see SmartphoneNotes and SmartNotes, however, both cost $

I'm not familiar with any free apps that do this.

Mike Temporale
11-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Another question, lol, is it possible to display the TIME/Clock while you are in a phone call?

It's good that it shows how long the call's duration is, however, I'd also like to see the clock - any way to do this?

Not that I am aware of. However, there could be a plugin, or 3rd party app that I have not seen.

encece
11-15-2004, 01:22 PM
xbar puts a clock in the icon bar. But it's in 24-hr time.

Mike Temporale
11-15-2004, 04:49 PM
xbar puts a clock in the icon bar. But it's in 24-hr time.

Man, I should really try xBar. I've been holding off buying stuff until I get my paws on a new SP, but maybe I should just buy this now.... I need a task manager badly too.

encece
11-15-2004, 05:23 PM
I personally dont like it. It interferes with other software too many times. I bought it but dont use it anymore. Maybe I'll try it again....one day. :D A shortcurt to the built in Task manager or SPTaskManager works for me!