View Full Version : Client that supports SMPP

mcdonp
11-04-2004, 05:20 PM
Does anyone know of a client compatible with the MPx220 that supports the SMPP protocol. Since I now have no need to carry a PDA and a phone, :P I would now like to shed my pager, which I have to carry for work.

Thanks.

Mike Temporale
11-04-2004, 06:07 PM
for those of you that don't know SMPP (like me):
What is SMPP?
The Short Message Peer to Peer (SMPP) protocol is an open industry standard messaging protocol designed to simplify integration of data applications with wireless mobile networks such as GSM, TDMA, CDMA and PDC. The protocol is widely deployed in the mobile telecommunications industry. The SMPP protocol specification is freely available from the Documents section of this site.

I found that definition here. (http://smsforum.net/yabbse/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=269)

Now that I have the background... What are you trying to do? Your device should already be able to send SMS messages. Are you looking for sending SMS's from your desktop to your device?

mcdonp
11-06-2004, 05:24 PM
I would like to receive pages that are sent automatically via a pager gateway connected to a SMTP mail server. The pages are sent via SMPP.

does that make sense?

Mike Temporale
11-07-2004, 03:44 AM
I think so. I have never used a SMPP gateway, but if I understand things, it's just sending a SMS message. You're phone should receive it without any problems. :?

mcdonp
11-07-2004, 05:08 PM
thanks for the response. After I talk to the Mail guys in our IT dept, I'll post a follow up.