View Full Version : Update to the i600

Spiderman503
11-03-2004, 08:17 PM
I would really like a Smartphone, and would prefer a flip phone.

Does anyone know if Samsung is going to update the i600 to include Bluetooth and possibly a camera?

I would go with the Motorola 220, but it seems to have volume and camera issues. In addition, I was considering Verizon for my wireless carrier, and I don't know when they might ever have the 220 on their network.

Thanks

Kris Kumar
11-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Verizon operates on CDMA technology. And MPx220 and most of the newer phones are GSM based. So they are not compatible.

The only CDMA based Smartphone with BT and new OS, that we know of is the HTC Vivida also known as Audiovox SMT5500. And no one knows when it will be launched. And whether it would be launched on Sprint or Verizon.

ARW
11-04-2004, 05:44 AM
The follow on to the i600 appears to be the i640/645. Not much is known about them, other than that they've been submitted to the FCC. You can guess that to be competitive that they'd have to have bluetooth, the 640/645 probably means with camera and without, and that they'd have WM03 SE.

Kris Kumar
11-04-2004, 12:37 PM
The follow on to the i600 appears to be the i640/645. Not much is known about them, other than that they've been submitted to the FCC. You can guess that to be competitive that they'd have to have bluetooth, the 640/645 probably means with camera and without, and that they'd have WM03 SE.

Awesome...

Wish we get to hear more about this model soon.

Jerry Raia
11-08-2004, 02:15 AM
I wonder if crippled Bluetooth will be a standard feature or will I have to pay extra for it? :new-alien:

ARW
11-08-2004, 10:27 PM
I wonder if crippled Bluetooth will be a standard feature or will I have to pay extra for it? :new-alien:

More details have been posted and according to the rudimentary manual the i640/645 does not have hardware for bluetooth. Amazing huh?

The phone looks better than the i600, and the i645 has a camera, it's running WM03SE and it looks to be a bit taller than the i600 and perhaps a bit narrower.

Perhaps this will come out 1st quarter 05 as VZW rolls out more EV-DO coverage.

Jerry Raia
11-08-2004, 11:25 PM
I can't believe its not gonna have BT!!! :really mad:

ARW
11-08-2004, 11:58 PM
At first I too thought it was hard to believe. Then I came to my senses and admitted to myself that it is after all Verizon were talking about here.

As I've said before, once another carrier can match their network foot print I'll jump ship in a minute for better pricing and more advanced handset choices.

Jerry Raia
11-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Right you are. For a moment there I had forgotten about the worry free guarantee!

However I dont think thier footprint is as impressive as most think. I travel the country with Cingular and Verizon phones. I posted this elsewhere here but the few places one of them had no signal...it was Verizon.

And now with ATT joining Cingular, there might be no real reason to suffer Verizon anymore.

maxnix
11-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Actually, BT has some very serious security issues and can be easily compromised. Camera phones and BT phones are neither welcome at secure corporate nor secure government locations.

Jerry Raia
11-16-2004, 02:10 AM
Actually, BT has some very serious security issues and can be easily compromised. Camera phones and BT phones are neither welcome at secure corporate nor secure government locations.

This is true, but BT can be turned off.