View Full Version : MPx220 Loses Date/Time, shuts off automatically

audinik
11-01-2004, 10:14 PM
In addition to the items mentioned numerous times already, as of today (2 weeks into ownership), there are a couple other issues I have noticed which are unfortunately pushing me towards returning the phone.

- If you pop the battery, my phone loses the date and time! Keeps all my contacts, calendar, etc. but mercilessly forces me to reset the date and time
- When you power off the phone normally, it refreshes your "favorites" icon bar at the top of the home page to the default list (not a big deal)
- Twice in the past 24 hours, my phone has shut itself off. First I thought that the battery was low, but,,,
--- after turning it back on the second time this morning, it has been running since without restarting or recharging (8 hours and counting)
--- the battery meter still shows 2 bars of battery left (so is it a meter problem?)
--- both times it shut itself off, I had to reset the date and time (see my first entry)

Anyone else seeing these problems?

Thanx.

Jerry Raia
11-01-2004, 11:10 PM
The only thing you mentioned that is normal behavior is the favorites reseting. You can actually add items to that list if you feel like messing with the registry. If my phone was doing the other things on your list I would perform a Hard Reset (like I did a few days ago to fix a problem I was having not getting email attachments).

I know its a pain but it can solve a lot of problems.

audinik
11-01-2004, 11:58 PM
If my phone was doing the other things on your list I would perform a Hard Reset (like I did a few days ago to fix a problem I was having not getting email attachments).

I know its a pain but it can solve a lot of problems.

Since I am away from my manual right now, (and searching the forums returns too many hits), would you mind sharing how to do a hard reset?

Jerry Raia
11-02-2004, 12:03 AM
With the phone off, press and hold the BBB (Big Blue Button) 8)
and press the power button at the same time. You will get a black screen that will read something like "Master Reset Yes or No". Select yes and you are on your way.

audinik
11-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Thanks for your help, Lasher. I totally understand that would normally be a RTFM issue, but I was desparate for some instant help! :oops:

Anyways, after the hard reset, the first thing I noticed is that it maintained the date and time. Interesting. I then popped the battery (without doing a normal shutdown), waited a minute, then put the battery back in and started it up again. The date and time were maintained just fine, however, now I noticed that my minor changes to the home page layout and color scheme were set back to the original factory settings. I did create one test contact, and saw that that was gone after popping the battery as well.

OK, now for the interesting part...I swear the volume over the earpiece is louder!!! I will do some more tests tonight to confirm, but the one phone call I just made...I could actually hold the earpiece away from my head and still hear the conversation (unlike before.)

We'll have to wait and see if my phone decides to shut itself down again.

All in all, I really love the feature set of this phone. Sure it has its little quirks (screen redraw can be slow at times, bluetooth pairing does not start until you close the lid, etc.), and big quirks (volume) but otherwise, I'm quite happy with it.

Thanks again!

Jerry Raia
11-02-2004, 12:54 AM
Glad to help. I don't think the hard reset is even in the manual. I found it on a forum someplace a while ago. The manual is next to worthless anyway.

You are not the first person to say the volume is louder after doing a hard reset. I didnt notice that result myself but it makes me wonder if after a hard reset the phone is set to a state it wasnt even in out of the box.