View Full Version : mpx220 user feedback

otty
10-29-2004, 08:26 PM
I have owned my mpx220 for nearly two weeks. I have switched from using a Dell Axim to the Smartphone. My main use for the Axim was Calender and Contacts, both of which are handled well on the 220.

I purchased the 220 at Best Buy as I thought the $249.00 price (after rebate) was good for such a phone. The things that attracted me were: bluetooth, memory card, 1.2 megapixel camera, full synching with Outlook and internet capability.

My impressions of the phone: Overall the phone is great, but I have encountered one bug which has been mentioned in another topic. The phone will hang up when trying to shut off. When this happens the only way to recover is to remove the battery for a few seconds. Having been traveling last week I had to shut the phone off frequently because of flights. I have not found the volume to be too low. The method of accessing items on a contact list was strange at first but works remarkably well. You type in the name on the number pad without having to toggle through the correct letter (i.e. for the letter b you would just press 2) and the software will figure out the contact you are looking for.

Voice recognition works better than any phone I have had and will access any of my 700 contacts. Unfortunately voice recognition doesn't work with bluetooth headsets or speakerphones.

I have not been able to get my internet connections to work right. Currently there is virtually no technical support available. Calling Cingular is useless as they have no experience with the phone. They should at least have a special unit for the phone. I believe my internet connection problems are because I have not setup the phone properly. I need to access AOL email and have not figured out how to do so. If anyone here can advise me what to do I would be grateful.

I believe the Best Buy release must be a beta release because of the bugs reported. I purchased the Best Buy extended warranty because it was such a new device. Overall, I think the phone is fantastic, and the various problems should be fixable (I will wait awhile and then get a replacement because of the problem at power off). I wish Pocket Informant would do their magic on this phones calendar, contacts and Tasks.

I have purchased one program: Mobile Translator as I travel a lot. It is quite nice for basic phrase generation between 7 languages.

The camera is about as bad as everybody says. If you use it in bright sunlight you can get some reasonable "phone" quality pictures. I do not see any improvement over my older Sanyo 8200 phone that I had before. The flash is mostly useless.

My future software/hardware purchases: A GPS when they are available for the 220, and a program like Pocket Informant, although the people at PI have said they have no plans for a smartphone version :(. If a bluetooth keyboard becomes available I might try that for taking notes and Contact entries.

Jerry Raia
10-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Developerone has a decent calendar and task program for the smartphone and a new version is due out soon. I use them both and like them a lot.

otty
10-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestion of Power Calendar. I have tried it and am waiting for a better week and month viewer. I'm, hoping their upgrade will work for me when it comes out. I really love the integration of Pocket Informant for calendars and contacts.

Jerry Raia
10-29-2004, 09:37 PM
I agree, two versions into Power calendar and I'm still waiting for a month view. I hope it is part of the next version.