View Full Version : MPx220 & BlueTooth Active Sync

Tamad
10-29-2004, 11:11 AM
I just got my Best Buy Cingular MPx220. I went out and got a Bluetooth dongle thinking i would have wireless active sync. Walk into the room sync your phone, slick.

Well, no cigar. XP sees a modem, but not a file share , an object exchange (obex) or a PANu. I found no way to change this on the phone. Motorola said they didn't know how to activate it but would call me in 72 hours after they talked to Microsoft. That was a week and a half ago.

I went to the bluetoot.org site & found Motorola has certified the phone as both an obex and file share, so it is (or was) possible.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? It was a big reason I bought the phone and a major disappointment. Seems it's USB cable or nothing.

Kris Kumar
10-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Okay for record sake, these are the things that work for me using BT on MPx220.

- ActiveSync works over BT
- DUN - laptop using phone as modem
- BT GPS sensor from Socket
- BT Headset from Moto

These are things that have not worked
- DUN - Pocket PC iPaq 2210 using phone as modem :-(

I know for sure that there is no file transfer profile. I don't see it on my laptop when I am looking at the phone's BT services. I believe it is because of DRM. Moto is trying hard to enforce DRM.

They have a "Media Center" application that supposedly has menu option for file transfers, but have not tried it yet. Note: You need to have some images or video files on your phone before you can see the menu option for Send As Bluetooth.

As a first time BT user, I am still trying to figure out things. I hope my answer helps you.

Tamad
10-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks, Chris

I would be happy to add Active Sync via BT to the repertoire.

The PC assigns Com13 to the Smartphone for DUN. I assigned a BT com port (14) for incoming sync. Active Sync on the PC knows about Com1, Com2, IR, USB and network. Every time I try to sync from the phone I get a lowercase blue "errors:" 1/3rd of the way down the screen towards the left side. followed by the date & time.

Kris Kumar
10-29-2004, 05:53 PM
ActiveSync should know about the COM port your BT dongle is assigned.

Let me see if I can write down my steps.
- Using IR or USB ActiveSync your device. So that you have the partnership setup. Don't use BT for first (or second) ActiveSync.
- BT Control Panel (assuming XP SP2, click on the BT icon in the task bar next to clock), check the "COM Ports Tab". There should be a COM port number assigned for your BT dongle.
- NOTE: This COM port should be less than 10. ActiveSync can list only till 10 or show only ports till COM10 or maybe COM9. I have COM9. You mentioned a number
- Pair the Phone. On the phone go to BT setting, Do a Device Discovery. (Ensure that the computer is Set to Discoverable in BT Control Panel). Go through the handshake.
- Launch ActiveSync -> Connection Settings -> Specify the COM port number in the pull down list. If it is more than 10 or 9, it may not get listed. Go back to the BT control panel and lower the COM port number.
- Now on the Phone, in ActiveSync, select the Sync via Bluetooth in the menu.
- This should work. If not try regular USB/IR ActiveSync. Go back into the Phone BT Devices area and try to re-discover or add the computer.

Hope this helps...

Kris Kumar
10-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks, Chris

I would be happy to add Active Sync via BT to the repertoire.

The PC assigns Com13 to the Smartphone for DUN. I assigned a BT com port (14) for incoming sync. Active Sync on the PC knows about Com1, Com2, IR, USB and network. Every time I try to sync from the phone I get a lowercase blue "errors:" 1/3rd of the way down the screen towards the left side. followed by the date & time.

What does the error message say?

Beowulf
10-29-2004, 07:00 PM
The Bluetooth setup is absolutely horrible. They have all these stupid wizards, that will only confuse you. But the mpx220 does sync over BT.. I'll write down what I did from memory...
I used the Linksys BT.

First I turned BT on my phone then installed the software w/activesync. If you complete this correctly you will see the modem(dialup adapter) and the BT voice icon in the MY BT places area for your smartphone... Sounds like you got that far.

Here's the hard part. For activesync to work you need a BT serial connection. However the catch is the computer CANNOT initiate the connection. You have to add the BT computer to your syncing list on your cell phone, and then say connect via bluetooth in Activesync (on the cell phone) while you are running the Activesync wizard; if you time it right it will pick up the cell phone in activesync and set it up. I had to try it several times before I got it to go. Once its setup you won't have to do it again. To get it to connect automatically you have to setup activesync to schedule syncs via bluetooth.

Jerry Raia
10-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Okay for record sake, these are the things that work for me using BT on MPx220.

- ActiveSync works over BT
- DUN - laptop using phone as modem
- BT GPS sensor from Socket
- BT Headset from Moto

These are things that have not worked
- DUN - Pocket PC iPaq 2210 using phone as modem :-(

I know for sure that there is no file transfer profile. I don't see it on my laptop when I am looking at the phone's BT services. I believe it is because of DRM. Moto is trying hard to enforce DRM.

They have a "Media Center" application that supposedly has menu option for file transfers, but have not tried it yet. Note: You need to have some images or video files on your phone before you can see the menu option for Send As Bluetooth.

As a first time BT user, I am still trying to figure out things. I hope my answer helps you.

The "Media Center" you mentioned is part of the Motorola Phone tools. It worked fine on my v600. Phone tools dont however even recognize the 220. As that software can be updated live I'm hoping they will add the 220 soon.

Kris Kumar
10-29-2004, 09:22 PM
The "Media Center" you mentioned is part of the Motorola Phone tools. It worked fine on my v600. Phone tools dont however even recognize the 220. As that software can be updated live I'm hoping they will add the 220 soon.

Thanks. So basically it is to be used to transfer files between two Motorola phones. And also if you have Motorola Phone Tools loaded on your desktop. You can use this to transfer files back and forth?

I don't remember seeing the Phone Tools for the desktop on the CD. Please let me know when it is updated. And I will let you know if I find out about it. :-)

Jerry Raia
10-29-2004, 09:35 PM
We might be talking about two different things. The phone tools were a separate piece of software I had to buy off the motorola site. On my v600 it would let me sync contacts, calendar,etc. It also had a media center to make ringtones, copy files to and from the phone from the PC.

This same software also works with my v710 but the media center doesnt come up. I suspect Verizon doesnt want me getting ringtones or making them from my pc. Cingular I guess in the case of the v600 didnt care.

The phone tools dont even recognize the 220 as i said above. That is the update I am hopefull will show up. What functionality there will be is guess but I'll let you know as soon as it comes up. I've been checking everyday :)

Kris Kumar
10-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Got it. Thanks

And since you mentioned the word "buy", I think I am going to stay away.

And I will read the manual (yes read it) to see what this app really does. I thought they had included some DRM mumbo-jumbo along with this app. And that's why the first time you run the app, it says that it will connect to the internet and exchange some "small" info. That is basically the phone syncing with the internet clock so that DRM can work.

Kris Kumar
11-01-2004, 06:58 AM
Finally managed to get the DUN working on my Pocket PC. I used my Pocket PC to connect to internet using the MPx220 over BT.

Key Points
- Dialed *99#
- Baud Rate 38400 (the default of 19200 didn't work :? )