View Full Version : Motorola MPx220 And Audiovox SMT5600 Application Locked?

Kris Kumar
10-21-2004, 04:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/weblog/read_more/10202004_motorola_mpx220_and_audiovox_smt6500_app_locked/' target='_blank'>http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/weblog/read_more/10202004_motorola_mpx220_and_audiovox_smt6500_app_locked/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"<a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsmtphn2k3/html/smartphone_security.asp">Application security</a> on the Windows Mobile-based Smartphone helps protect the integrity of the end-users’ Smartphone device by not allowing the user to install applications from an unknown source...The operator gets to choose the Smartphone security policy. This policy may allow untrusted applications to run with unprivileged access or may require that applications be digitally signed."</i><br /><br />PhoneMag.com is reporting that the recently launched Smartphones Motorola MPx220 and Audiovox SMT5600 are <a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsmtphn2k3/html/smartphone_security.asp"><i>Application Locked.</i></a> There is no classic definition for the term <i>Application Locked</i>, the term usually means that the carrier <i>does not</i> allow the installation of applications which are not trusted/certified by them or in some cases, not downloaded from the carrier's software site. I was able to install a number of unsigned/uncertified applications on my MPx220, including PHM Registry Editor and test applications written by me. Right now the problem seems to be specific to SplashID software, which I have not tested as I don't use it. Are you running into any problems? What is the best way to test whether the phone is <i>Application Locked</i> or not?<br /><br /><b>Update</b>: If you are having trouble installing or running an application on your new Smartphone, please share the problem details with our readers here. :-)

Jerry Raia
10-21-2004, 04:52 PM
I have the exact same problem sited in the article with PhatNotes. It installs and runs fine on the phone but will not sync data. In all fairness though, the 220 is not listed as a supported model when you install phatnotes. Everything else I have installed works fine.

Maybe we could start thread here of apps that do and dont work.

mar2k
10-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Hmm, hope that's not true. Might be another reason to check out the SP3i whenever it comes out.

Kris Kumar
10-21-2004, 05:07 PM
One thing that just crossed my mind is that, since the SplashID problem is being reported as common to both SMT5600 and MPx220. And PhatNotes sync. Is it because of a change in Windows Mobile 2003 SE?

But then SplashData/PhatNotes would have known about this problem from SPV C500.

Anyway just a random thought. Thought I should share.

Everytime there is a new phone, especially with new OS, there are bound to be issues.

Kris Kumar
10-21-2004, 05:10 PM
Maybe we could start thread here of apps that do and dont work.

Good Idea. :-)

I will update the main page post.

JoshB
10-21-2004, 05:18 PM
I've posted about this at www.tinyscreenfuls.com:

http://www.tinyscreenfuls.com/2004/10/motorola-mpx220-and-audiovox-smt6500.html

It's worth noting that I've always had problems installing PHM Registry Editor via the traditional .exe ActiveSync installer on my MPX200 (under both 2002 and 2003). I've always had to copy the .CAB file to the device, and install from there.

I've posted this suggestion as a comment on the original story, but no word if they've tried it or not. My guess is that if you copy the .CAB of PHM Registry Editor to an MPX220 or SMT5600, it would probably install fine. This is due to an apparent problem with the PHM Registry Editor installer, and NOT an app locked Smartphone.

Can someone with an MPX220 or SMT5600 try this out, and let us know what happens?

Jerry Raia
10-21-2004, 05:22 PM
I've posted about this at www.tinyscreenfuls.com:

http://www.tinyscreenfuls.com/2004/10/motorola-mpx220-and-audiovox-smt6500.html

It's worth noting that I've always had problems installing PHM Registry Editor via the traditional .exe ActiveSync installer on my MPX200 (under both 2002 and 2003). I've always had to copy the .CAB file to the device, and install from there.

I've posted this suggestion as a comment on the original story, but no word if they've tried it or not. My guess is that if you copy the .CAB of PHM Registry Editor to an MPX220 or SMT5600, it would probably install fine. This is due to an apparent problem with the PHM Registry Editor installer, and NOT an app locked Smartphone.

Can someone with an MPX220 or SMT5600 try this out, and let us know what happens?

I installed PHM on my 220 and had no problems other than it crashes occasionally (the program not the phone). I dont think that has to do with the phone though.

encece
10-21-2004, 05:35 PM
I normally create a bunch of sub menus in my Startmenu folder to categorize my apps.
Accessories
Communications
Multimedia
Games
Programs
Reference
Utilities

Evidence that the Audiovox is partially app locked is that it wont allow you you move the Calendar app, for example, to the newly created programs menu.

Orange provides the app unlock method for their phones. But there is no method provided by AT&T to totally app unlock their smartphones....

...or is there?

There are different levels of security. The phones are opened up out of the box to accept most...signed or unsigned...but not all.

AEConfig will/does app unlock the Audiovox 5600 and disables all security.
The problem with this is, is it's not 100% legal to use. It's an app that was "stolen" from the writers of the app (I believe the company name is Action Engine). But it can be found all over the net as AEConfig or other names like DisableSecurity usually linked for use with the e200.

It places one file in the temp directory and a shortcut in your startmenu. After running...security is gone.

I won't forward a copy so don't ask...it's bad enough that I'm using it...but what are you going to do when Audiovox/AT&T dont give you an alternate method like Orange do. :wink:

jkovacs
10-21-2004, 05:40 PM
A user on the AT&T Wireless Support Forum, skertes, reported a problem with Illium Software's eWallet. Actually I think eWallet works fine but he can't run Sync Pro to synchronize his eWallet between the SMT5600 and his PC.

I have no basis for this, but I'm wondering if the problem with PhatNotes is also about syncing could there be a PC side problem... like maybe SP2? Just a thought.

...Joe K.

encece
10-21-2004, 05:43 PM
I'm running SmartphoneNotes with no problems and that has a PC side app.

kennyg
10-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Hello,

I develop application for the Smartphone and I'm having problems with some of the system calls on the MPX220 and C500 in general. I have an app in beta that is having issues only on those phones! Still don't know that the exact problem is.

Kenny.

Jerry Raia
10-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Here is what I have on my 220 so far. I made notes when there were problems i've noted so far:

Reverse Areacode - Golden Crater
Explorer 2003 (v4.4) - Resco
pTravelAlarm (v02.00.020) - Burr Oak
Agile Messenger (v AM-SP2003-16) - AgileMobile
CodeWallet Pro (v4.1) - Developer One (Does not sync, copied wallet manually)
Pocket Stars (v2.2.4) - nomad electronics
Pocket Streets 2005 - MS
AttachSmart (v0.0.9) - MpegTV
PhatNotes (v4.345.0211) - PhatWare (Does not Sync, beamed notes over IR)
Power Calendar (v2.51) - Developer One
Power Tasks (v1.95) - Developer One
SmartPhoneNotes (v1.2) - Syncdata
DataViewer (v1.0.2.00 - Town Compass
ALL-Calculator SPE (v1.1.0) - all-locations
CityTime (v1.0) - Code City
Jeyo Personalizer (v1.0) - Jeyo
PHM Regedit (v.7) - PHM
Photo Contacts (v2.0) - pocketX
SmartSSPlus - (v2.0) Terrailloune
Sprite Backup (v2.0) - SpriteSoftware

Games:
BeJeweled
ISS Logic Squares
ISS Video Poker
Kevtris
PocketGrandmaster

Kris Kumar
10-21-2004, 06:03 PM

PhoneMag.com has updated the story to state that PHM Registry Editor can be installed via the .CAB install method.

And I was able to successfully install and run the Registry Editor on my MPx220.

JoshB
10-21-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm thinking the problem of not being able to move the Calendar shortcut to another folder may have to do with the shortcut being in ROM. I ran into the same problem yesterday with a cooked ROM on an XDA that I'm messing around with.

Kris Kumar
10-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Hello,

I develop application for the Smartphone and I'm having problems with some of the system calls on the MPX220 and C500 in general. I have an app in beta that is having issues only on those phones! Still don't know that the exact problem is.

Kenny.

Could it be that you are accessing some of the restricted APIs (like KernelIOControl, ExTAPI etc) which requires Privileged Certificate?

The list of APIs can be found in the section titled "Appendix B: List of Privileged APIs" in this Document. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsmtphn2k3/html/smartphone_security.asp)

cmorris
10-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Evidence that the Audiovox is partially app locked is that it wont allow you you move the Calendar app, for example, to the newly created programs menu.

I ran into this with the Audiovox too... however I found that I was able to move shortcuts around using the built-in File Manager (instead of through ActiveSync).

The problem seems to be for files that are marked as "System" files. You cannot even copy the files to your PC. I may just have to dig around for this AEConfig that you mention... :wink:

BTW enece - your "Smartphone 2004" homescreen rocks! Hope the media player and alarm plugins get updated so they work properly on the SMT5600...

Kris Kumar
10-21-2004, 06:18 PM
In the Microsoft document on security (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsmtphn2k3/html/smartphone_security.asp). Check out the section titled "What Are the Possible Security Policies?"

It talks about three security policies and the level of access. The policies are:
- Unrestricted
- Standard (certain key system APIs/function call need certificate, but most apps dont need any)
- Restricted (all apps need certificates to run).

Could it be that these new phones have Standard Policy, which makes sense why most apps are running.

I will have to write a test app that makes a call to the privileged API to verify this theory.

Beowulf
10-21-2004, 06:46 PM
I have installed many applications with no problems, but I noticed particularly more unusual applications (usually beta) where you do get the application security errors. (Wolf 3d and doom)

From what I read about at msdn they release the phones with some resources application locked to protect you from potentially harmful applications. These applications need a certificate. What previous cell phone companies have done is you request to be a developer for mobile applications, and they unlock your phone and give you debuggers and an SDK. Orange had a program setup to do this, but I have not noticed any program for Cingular/Moto....

So far I have been able to install all of my "Must have apps" such as pocket streets, beta player, Nes Emu, and a handful of other little goodies.

I cannot install Wolf 3d, but so far I'm more than happy with the other games I found.

gambit
10-21-2004, 09:26 PM
AECconfig was a program leeked by Active Engine, that allowed you to run any provisioing file in priviledged mode. Orange found out again it (in the 'ol SPV E200 days) and when they updated their ROM they removed support for the certtificate the AEConfig had been signed with.

To cut a long story short it doesn't work now.

I'd be supprised if AT&T was locking their phones, as any carrier knows this means a huge burden on them, as they have to setup processes to sign third party apps that want priviledged mode. It's pritty hard to sell a App locked phone when you don't even allow *any* 3rd party priviledged apps. Backup for example needs to be priviledged. Orange is big enough, and sell enough phones. Verizon, well, i don't hear of many people with i600's, but they partnered with handango ro provide signing so they were ok.

riki

encece
10-21-2004, 09:42 PM
I'm thinking the problem of not being able to move the Calendar shortcut to another folder may have to do with the shortcut being in ROM. I ran into the same problem yesterday with a cooked ROM on an XDA that I'm messing around with.

This is definitely a result of the security level. The copying of ROM files as well. I could not do either of these things before running AEConfig...and now I can.

It talks about three security policies and the level of access. The policies are:
- Unrestricted
- Standard (certain key system APIs/function call need certificate, but most apps dont need any)
- Restricted (all apps need certificates to run).
This is exactly what i was trying to see before...but you've said it correctly. When I had an orange phone, I was not able to app unlock it here in the US via their site. An Orange rep sent me a file specific to my IMEI that allowed me to change the security level restrictions of the phone. From memory...unrestricted, standard, and restricted were the three options. I'd definitely agree that standard is what we are running now. Orange C500's are set to the same security and Unlocking via the Orange site brings it back down to Unrestricted.

kidshyleen
10-22-2004, 12:44 AM
Audiovox SMT5600

I have seen little issues with loading software. Here is a list of the Programs that I have loaded:

All Calculator Lite
Clear View Suite
Explorer 2003
Fizz traveller
Loans Byte SP
MX Converter
PHM Registry Editor
SmartPhone Notes
Theme Changer

SmartPhone Notes synch beautifully with no issues at all. It is a MUST for people who utilize Outlook Notes. The only problems I have seen are with Skins or Games that are designed for WM2002. Some work, some don't - most DO work.

I thought that in order to be considered locked, you had to have a phone that would only take programs from your service provider. This is not the case here.

encece
10-22-2004, 02:06 AM
I thought that in order to be considered locked, you had to have a phone that would only take programs from your service provider. This is not the case here.

Service providers dont provide hardly any software so that's not the case.

Quick history:
The original SPV was delivered fully application locked which would only allow installation of certified software.

People screamed and created work arounds for this...then Orange allowed users to app unlock their phones via a developers service online whos original intention wass to allow developers to test yet unsigned applications before releasing the signed apps.

The MPx200 was released in the US fully app unlocked.

The i600, I believe, was app unlocked but had a flaw in allowing certain types of certifications ...It's been some time, I'm a bit foggy on this part but I'm sure that later Verizon updates fixed these issues.

Orange now release phones with Standard restrictions as described above in Kris' post. But can still be fully unlocked via Orange's dev website. I believe this third mid level security was introduced with the e100 models and later. Previous to this it was either on or off.

The Audiovox is released in this same manner and the only way to unlock (so far) is using the method/program that I have used, until AT&T release an official method of unlocking.

This is all from my bad memory and I dont use the proper terms, but I hope it helps some understand a bit better.

kcwester
10-22-2004, 03:17 AM
I want to take screen shots of my Audiovox and purchased a program to do such. It will not take the CAB file and I get the security error. ScreenShotSP 1.02 is the name of the program. Not until I saw this entry did I discover why.

Phonefunatic
10-22-2004, 03:47 AM
I have installed, run and synced lots of apps with no problem however, I have the same problem as Lasher and the other user with an app called Keeptrack (by Ilium). Runs fine on MPX220 (Cingular) but won't sync data.

Jerry Raia
10-22-2004, 03:48 AM
I'm running SmartphoneNotes with no problems and that has a PC side app.
I just switched to that myself. Works great and syncs even!

I think the best of all in this mess is that Pocket MSN wont install on either my old i600 or my new Cingular mpx220. Does MS know about this? :P

Update: Just got this from PhatWare on Phatnotes for Cingular

We don't currently have the ability to support that service provider, as we cannot unlock their devices on the application level.
-
Phatware Support

msolka
12-25-2004, 04:37 PM
I just tried eWallet on my MPX220. After much difficulty, I got the trial version to sync properly. I paid for the software and now I can't get the full version to sync! There is definitely an issue. I am waiting for a response from Ilium tech support now.

Kris Kumar
12-25-2004, 06:50 PM
Looks like the full version is not signed/certified properly, but the trial version is. :?

Jerry Raia
12-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here. Is there some reason why an app that doesn't interact with the phone side of things needs all this certification nonsense?

If I am reading things right wouldn't it be better to only look for a "certificate" when an app does attempt to interact with the phone?

Kris Kumar
12-26-2004, 03:12 AM
I am not sure if I have the exact reason..but this is what I think maybe the reason.

Since this app lets you sync data back and forth between the PC and the Smartphone, so basically it is opening up a pipe for transferring data, this communication pipe between the PC and the Smartphone can be used to transfer not only app related data, but also other files like a virus file or contaminated exe etc. So I am guessing that any app that tries to implement its own sync pipeline has to get the pipeline signed/certified. Basically Microsoft doesn't want un-necessary doors/windows into the Smartphones. :-)

Jerry Raia
12-26-2004, 03:27 AM
ok. pocket pc's do the same kind of sync right? they dont have all of there cert problems i dont think.

Kris Kumar
12-26-2004, 04:54 AM
Pocket PC apps don't require certifications. Certifications/App-signing is something Microsoft introduced in Windows Mobile for Smartphones. Because of its easy access to network makes Smartphones more vulnerable. And another reason for the requirement for signing is because carriers can restrict the installation of apps to only the ones that are available on their website. Carriers love to control the phones and the customers thru their phones. ;-) Luckily that concept didn't last for long. With the newer Smartphones, we are free to install most apps. Carrier offer no resistance. Except for the resistance put up by Microsoft to protect the integrity of the core OS.

And I believe future Pocket PCs will also require certifications. And not sure if the Phone Editions require certifications. I don't think they do in the current shape and form.

Jerry Raia
12-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Alright good explanation. Thanks :)

msolka
01-04-2005, 06:29 PM
I just tried eWallet on my MPX220. After much difficulty, I got the trial version to sync properly. I paid for the software and now I can't get the full version to sync! There is definitely an issue. I am waiting for a response from Ilium tech support now.

An update: I received a response from Ilium. They provided a link to a new sync engine to install on the MPX220. After a couple of rounds of cockpit error and one phone call to tech support, all is fine now and I am able to sync with no troubles. :)

ragintajin
01-16-2005, 10:41 PM
So wait, if you unlock your phone will you be able to install anything you want?

(Specifically I'm interested in Pocket MSN for my MPX220)

ctitanic
10-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Guys in working in a little tool to remove the restrictions in SP that do not allow users to run uncertified appliacations.

If anybody want to test it, please send me an email to ctitanic at tweaks2k2.com

TIA