View Full Version : Windows Media Player 10 Mobile

coaldat6
10-21-2004, 01:18 AM
Microsoft comes out with Media Player 10 Mobile, which has a bunch of advanced features and plays DRM-protected music - and they only offer it with new products!?!? Is Windows Mobile 2003 so old that it doesn't merit product support?

I'm furious :x

Over all, I would have expected Microsoft to offer more ongoing support for Windows Mobile - maybe some freebee programs and updating some features (like the mediocre Media Player), but again and again they fail to support those of us who shelled out a lot of money to try out the first few phones based on Windows Mobile.

Am I the only one who feels like this?

dragonone
12-06-2004, 06:24 AM
i think if we keep complaining they'll roll out something
after all it's just some patch and such like the previous upgrades for pc users

I wonder why they won't come up with something like that
they were so eager w/ WMP10 for pc users

Mike Temporale
12-06-2004, 12:06 PM
The thing is, It's not really up to Microsoft. It's up to the carrier and manufacturer of the device. This is evident with the MSNM patch we saw last year.

If you want this, bug your carrier and bug the manufacturer of the device. Let them know that you want it. Otherwise it may not happen. :(

ChemNerd
12-18-2004, 12:46 AM
As much as it pains me to say - there is very little you can do about this issue. While I most certainly don't agree with the lack of updates for our beloved mobile devices I do understand why they don't offer them much.

Take a look at WMP10 for PocketPC - the Dells have it and the HP 3xxx series can be upgraded to that. This is of course after no one offering an upgrade to the 2003SE OS.

Part of the reason is that two or more parties have to agree to do this. MS has to of course make it an option and then the manufacturer of the device must say yes or no. The carrier of the phone then gets to weigh in if they even want to offer it.

All in all we're a minority. Smartphones are far too new and Pocket PC sales seem to be taking a nose dive. Eventually I see the Smartphones gaining more ground, but who knows. Personally I have no use for a PDA with a smartphone and a laptop.

What it comes down to is money. It cost money to release an update and they loose money from possible new devices by offering an upgrade. There is probably someone in an office crunching numbers figuring out how much customer loss they'll suffer from making this decission and weighing it against the cost of releasing the update and the loss of new sales of new phones for the next year. Generally it does piss a few people off - I personally feel that your device should be updated for at least a year.

But when it comes down to it people don't generally keep things a very long time anymore. So to make you stick with the same thing on your phone an extra year - no one really cares.

I've had this issues with PPCs for as long as I can remember and the lack of updates is becomming more and more persistant and I think it will be a fact we're forced to accept. Again I hope this changes.