View Full Version : SMT 5600 - Keypad Lock prevents Headset Voice Command Calls

apeguero
10-19-2004, 07:34 PM
Is it me or is this phone, or OS for that matter, preventing one from initiating a voice command call using the headset when the keypad is locked? If I lock the keypad and then press the phone button on my Motorola HS810 bluetooth headset, all I get is a redial function. It's supposed to give me the voice dial prompt instead.

I hope this isn't a design feature. It would be very disappointing to think that Microsoft would not place an exception to allow headset initiated calls through voice command be made when the keypad is locked. I mean, in a non-flip phone, one has to lock the keypad when the phone is not in one's hand or else the keys will be pressed and therefore activate the phone. This would not only drain the battery needlessly but it would also perform unattended commands.

I when ahead and enterred a question in Audiovox' FAQ website. I'll update this spot with what I find.

apeguero
10-20-2004, 12:19 AM
Update:

Audiovox responded to my question with "It's the way it was designed".

How does one go about making suggestions for OS changes? Do making these suggestions really work? I mean, I think it's pretty moronic to have to remove the phone from it's protective spot in order to unlock the keypad so that you can then dial using voice recognition. I mean, might as well ditch the Blue Tooth Headset and just dial the number while you're at it. Right?

Mike Temporale
10-20-2004, 01:45 AM
I guess the real question is more about who's design this is. Since the manufacturers can modify things, it's very possible that they have changed or "added" this functionality. :?

apeguero
10-20-2004, 02:12 AM
I guess the real question is more about who's design this is. Since the manufacturers can modify things, it's very possible that they have changed or "added" this functionality. :?

Does it look to you, as well, that this is a poor design feature to lock out a headset from voice dialing when the keypad is locked? They are both separate forms of initiating a call, voice activation vs keypad. If one is locked or disabled then one should be able to use the other. I'll reply to them with that comment and see what they say.

Raven
10-20-2004, 03:43 AM
I just tested it out on my HS810 and SMT5600. Same results as yours.

The long key press always initiates a redial, no matter what lock status. So I guess its crazy that the voice dial doesn't work when the phone is locked. Definitely crazy on a candy bar style phone....:roll:

Another thing I noticed....

I was on the Normal profile on the phone and had my headset out and on my ear. When a call came in, the unit kept ringing like normal and the headset just gave intermittent beeps.

Can you confirm this on your phone? Kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me. But the upside is that you don't have to wear the headset all the time while expecting calls. It can now reside in your shirt pocket.

apeguero
10-20-2004, 04:49 AM
I think Page 16 of the Moto HS810 says that you need to press the Phone button on the headset to answer a call. I don't think the phone is the problem here.

I wonder if there's a registry key that can be used to only lock the keys and not the phone book.

apeguero
10-20-2004, 07:28 PM
I just tested it out on my HS810 and SMT5600. Same results as yours.

The long key press always initiates a redial, no matter what lock status. So I guess its crazy that the voice dial doesn't work when the phone is locked. Definitely crazy on a candy bar style phone....:roll:

Another thing I noticed....

I was on the Normal profile on the phone and had my headset out and on my ear. When a call came in, the unit kept ringing like normal and the headset just gave intermittent beeps.

Can you confirm this on your phone? Kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me. But the upside is that you don't have to wear the headset all the time while expecting calls. It can now reside in your shirt pocket.

I noticed today that if the headset's boom is closed then it disconnects the headset from the phone. If that's the case then chances are if a call comes in then you will more then likely miss it, no matter how quickly you unfold the boom and don the headset. Is this why you were missing calls? I wonder if it's a bug.

I also called AT&T last night to see how I can bump up the # of rings before the Answering system picke up (4). The rep said they have no control over it. Doesn't make sense.

apeguero
10-21-2004, 02:06 AM
I'll update this thread with what I did about this problem. I sent Motorola an e-mail about their headset. Below is what I sent them:

"I have the HS810 Bluetooth headset. I'm pairing it with an Audiovox SMT 5600 with AT&T service. The problem I have is whenever I lock the keypad I cannot use the headset for anything other then redialing the last number. In other words, I cannot use the voice dial feature of the headset and phone. How can I overcome this?"

This is their reply:

"Thank you very much for your considerations and interest in our products.

"Regarding your question, unfortunately we do not know how to overcome this since the problem seems to be in the phone and not the headset and we do not support the phone because it is not a Motorola product. We apologize for all the inconvenience this might cause you. "

Compare this to Audiovox's reply to my same question:

"It's the way it was designed".

So, my solution for this was to return this fancy, $100.00 headset and get me a cheap old $15.00 corded one that completely overrides the phone lock think and makes the call regardless.

txbldr
12-11-2006, 04:27 PM
I realize this is a really old post, and I may have missed updated info elsewhere. I just bought an Audiovox SMT5600 and this morning I came to the same frustrating realization. Has anyone found a workaround for the keypad lock/voice dial problem? This kind of defeats the purpose for buying the headset for me.

Thanks.