View Full Version : Is this phone the same as the SPV C500?

technopimp
10-18-2004, 04:16 PM
I want a C500, and this looks like it's exactly the same hardware. Is it? http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=SMARTPHONE_3

Kris Kumar
10-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Yes it is. It is just the rebranded version of the same phone.

Also I believe you are in US. I must suggest you to take a look at this phone : Audiovox SMT5600

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=43010

The only catch it will work on AT&T network. But you can get it at a better price than eXpansys. Also you should be able to carrier unlock the phone for use on T-Mobile or Cingular. But that is an additional cost.

technopimp
10-20-2004, 09:43 PM
Yes it is. It is just the rebranded version of the same phone.

Also I believe you are in US. I must suggest you to take a look at this phone : Audiovox SMT5600

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=43010

The only catch it will work on AT&T network. But you can get it at a better price than eXpansys. Also you should be able to carrier unlock the phone for use on T-Mobile or Cingular. But that is an additional cost.
Thanks...do you have a recommendation of a good place to get it unlocked? Although I'm not sure I can buy it from Amazon, I apparently live in a place where you can't get AT&T (Michigan) and even though I would buy it without activation, they won't let you add it to your cart until you tell them your location and they "verify" it.

Kris Kumar
10-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Thanks...do you have a recommendation of a good place to get it unlocked? Although I'm not sure I can buy it from Amazon, I apparently live in a place where you can't get AT&T (Michigan) and even though I would buy it without activation, they won't let you add it to your cart until you tell them your location and they "verify" it.

I don't have any recommendations and as of now, I know that unlock codes are not available. But watch our forums. :-)

So don't buy the phone till you the matter gets resolved, which according to our readers should happen soon. :-)

It's weird that even for buying a phone without the service, the website wants the Zipcode and other verification information. Maybe you should write to Amazon support about it. (What about entering Zip and information for a relative/friend in the coverage area and getting the phone shipped to your address?)

technopimp
10-21-2004, 09:50 PM

I don't have any recommendations and as of now, I know that unlock codes are not available. But watch our forums. :-)

So don't buy the phone till you the matter gets resolved, which according to our readers should happen soon. :-)

It's weird that even for buying a phone without the service, the website wants the Zipcode and other verification information. Maybe you should write to Amazon support about it. (What about entering Zip and information for a relative/friend in the coverage area and getting the phone shipped to your address?)
Hmm...thanks, well since I'm ready to buy, I might go with the one I originally linked, plus I don't have to deal with getting it unlocked.