View Full Version : Pre-Order the SP3i 850/1800/1900 Band Smartphone

Jason Dunn
10-15-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=9&inv_id=41013170829101&modid=30214092059015&aid=5' target='_blank'>http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=9&inv_id=41013170829101&modid=30214092059015&aid=5</a><br /><br /></div>I've confirmed with Tek 'n Toys that the SP3i that they're selling is a tri-band phone configured for the US market: it works on the 850, 1800, and 1900 bands. So if you're looking for a Smartphone to work on the newer 850 band, <a href="http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=9&inv_id=41013170829101&modid=30214092059015&aid=5">this is your phone</a>. :-)<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> The band switch is done via software in the phone. So the phones being sold are actually quad-band phones, but in the settings of the phone you have to select which band you want it to be - European or North American. My original SPV was like this (or was it the E200?) - it wouldn't work until I selected "PCS" as the band.<br /><br /><b>UPDATE 2:</b> Normally Tek 'n Toys will only allow ordering of product if they have it in stock, and the product page doesn't mention anything to the contrary. It's been pointed out to me that they don't actually have the phones in stock, so this is a pre-order situation - and they don't mention that anywhere on the page. I wasn't aware of that, so I apologize to anyone who felt tricked - that wasn't my intention. :?

ricksfiona
10-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Hmm, I wonder why they just don't make it a quadband altogether? It would make it more competitve with the Motorola. Would battery life get sucked away if all bands were enabled? Is there a chip within the phone that can only handle 3 frequencies at a time?

It puts my mind at ease knowing that all I have to do is change the type of phone from American to European and it will work anywhere, but it would be nice if I didn't have to. Perhaps there is a hack that will allow me to have all frequencies active?

theevaluator
10-16-2004, 12:58 AM
I wish i knew how you got ahold of tek n toys or why in god's name you're affiliated with them.

going through their order process is about as re-assuring as throwing your credit out the window of a new york taxi.

first off they give no indication of anything actually being in stock, they dont respond to emails or phone calls (its difficult to tell, they have no identifying message on the main line, and the 800 number seems to be out of service.) , they have no order status, or basic e-commerce capability, and they require you to fax your signature back them on an order confimation form that doesnt even have an order number on it. i dont know about you guys, but faxing my credit card around doesnt seem terrible secure or professional.

i placed an order with them at 9 am pacific time today, and i have no idea whether i've actually succeeded.

i have no confirmation email, or even an order number.

overall, i would rate their site about a -5 on a scale of 1-10, and i would say anyone is probably better off going even to an ebay powerseller, because at least ebay provides some basic order status and confimation capability via email and their payment services like paypal.

i'm all for supporting the little guys, take what a huge success newegg.com has been- but these guys present an amatuerish and unprofessional face to the world by not communicating with their customers, and using a web site with barely any commerce functionality that looks and works like it was designed by a couple of 12 year olds using frontpage.

theevaluator
10-16-2004, 01:16 AM
I've confirmed with Tek 'n Toys that the SP3i that they're selling is a tri-band phone configured for the US market: it works on the 850, 1800, and 1900 bands. So if you're looking for a Smartphone to work on the newer 850 band, this is your phone (http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=9&inv_id=41013170829101&modid=30214092059015&aid=5). :-)

UPDATE: The band switch is done via software in the phone. So the phones being sold are actually quad-band phones, but in the settings of the phone you have to select which band you want it to be - European or North American. My original SPV was like this (or was it the E200?) - it wouldn't work until I selected "PCS" as the band.

i'll post this again- but jason instead of misleading people deliberately and re-posting your "affiliate link" so you can get your 10 % spiff from tek n toys- why dont you tell people that THEY DONT HAVE THE PHONES....

that sure would have saved me from placing my order earlier today with tek n toys, which as i mentioned was about as secure and reliable as russian roulette. no inventory status, no email confirmation, i had to FAX (?) my signature, and they dont answer the one phone number that actually works, that has no voicemail...they're super professional, really.

wow, you guys sure have a great scam going- i hear you're going to take some pre-orders for the mpx 300 next week, i'll be sure to check back and use your link.

its a shame i dont work for microsoft any more, if i did i'd try to get you booted out of the MVP program.

Mike Temporale
10-16-2004, 02:14 AM
theevaluator,

It's important to note that we are NOT Tek n' Toys. We have no access into there warehouse, and therefore can not verify any stock.

If dealing with Tek n' Toys leaves a bad taste in your mouth, or as you put it, is about as re-assuring as throwing your credit out the window of a new york taxi, then by all means, cancel your order. If faxing information leaves you a little un-easy, then stop at that point.

When I buy something online there are a number of things I look at to determine if I'm comfortable with dealing with a retailer. If at any point, something isn't up to my standards, I'll stop the process.

sunit02
10-16-2004, 02:44 AM
I placed an order earlier this afternoon after 2 eastern time and I had a different experience. Unlike theevaluator, I got my confirmation email with an order number. I can log in to their site and see the order's status which at this time is still unprocessed. I also emailed them a couple of times today before my order and they were fairly quick with their responses. The only thing that worried me was the 800 fax number which wouldn't accept the fax, but the 403 number worked fine. I'm willing to give them a chance. However, if there's no status change by monday or if they're is no correspondence by then, I would probably consider cancelling my order.

I wish i knew how you got ahold of tek n toys or why in god's name you're affiliated with them.

going through their order process is about as re-assuring as throwing your credit out the window of a new york taxi.

first off they give no indication of anything actually being in stock, they dont respond to emails or phone calls (its difficult to tell, they have no identifying message on the main line, and the 800 number seems to be out of service.) , they have no order status, or basic e-commerce capability, and they require you to fax your signature back them on an order confimation form that doesnt even have an order number on it. i dont know about you guys, but faxing my credit card around doesnt seem terrible secure or professional.

i placed an order with them at 9 am pacific time today, and i have no idea whether i've actually succeeded.

i have no confirmation email, or even an order number.

overall, i would rate their site about a -5 on a scale of 1-10, and i would say anyone is probably better off going even to an ebay powerseller, because at least ebay provides some basic order status and confimation capability via email and their payment services like paypal.

i'm all for supporting the little guys, take what a huge success newegg.com has been- but these guys present an amatuerish and unprofessional face to the world by not communicating with their customers, and using a web site with barely any commerce functionality that looks and works like it was designed by a couple of 12 year olds using frontpage.

theevaluator
10-16-2004, 03:13 AM
theevaluator,

It's important to note that we are NOT Tek n' Toys. We have no access into there warehouse, and therefore can not verify any stock.

If dealing with Tek n' Toys leaves a bad taste in your mouth, or as you put it, is about as re-assuring as throwing your credit out the window of a new york taxi, then by all means, cancel your order. If faxing information leaves you a little un-easy, then stop at that point.

When I buy something online there are a number of things I look at to determine if I'm comfortable with dealing with a retailer. If at any point, something isn't up to my standards, I'll stop the process.

i understand what an affiliate is, but thanks for the clarification- my point was that you have made several "announcement" type front page entries that have certainly suggested that tek n toys have phones...why dont you make an accurate statement, like "AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER".

In fact, in the several posts jason made as follow up in the forums, he clearly has communicated with tek n toys regarding the 850 band, but still he doesnt mention THAT THEY DONT ACTUALLY HAVE ANY PHONES IN STOCK.

strange that...could it be that he wants more people to actually pre-order something through his "affiliate link"?

that seems pretty disengenuous to me, and someone thats supposed to be operating an informative site for the community that supports these devices should be stating the truth, and not trying to collect 20$ affiliate spiffs by making false announcements.

shk718
10-16-2004, 05:22 AM
how do you know they don't have any phones in stock? i emailed them and they said they did. i ordered one - got an order number and an email confirmation. the signature page i faxed them didn't have my credit card number on it - and their web site has an orderstatus page on it.

theevaluator
10-16-2004, 07:55 AM
how do you know they don't have any phones in stock? i emailed them and they said they did. i ordered one - got an order number and an email confirmation. the signature page i faxed them didn't have my credit card number on it - and their web site has an orderstatus page on it.

in another thread tied to the first post regarding tek n toys, several others have noted that the phones are supposed to ship on Oct. 21st, which indicates that this is a pre-order situation, and they don't actually have any in stock...which is a pretty bad bait and switch, particularly when the people running the site have been in communication with tek n toys, and have not explained this to all of the people using their affiliate link to order the phones.

Mike Temporale
10-16-2004, 01:05 PM
i understand what an affiliate is, but thanks for the clarification- my point was that you have made several "announcement" type front page entries that have certainly suggested that tek n toys have phones...why dont you make an accurate statement, like "AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER".

Really? Are you sure you understand what an affiliate is? Because you are still under the impression that we have some magical way of seeing their inventory.

In fact, in the several posts jason made as follow up in the forums, he clearly has communicated with tek n toys regarding the 850 band, but still he doesnt mention THAT THEY DONT ACTUALLY HAVE ANY PHONES IN STOCK.

Right... A discussion on 850 band is not a discussion on inventory. Our information at the time of the post is that they are in stock. We haven't heard any different. How do you know that they haven't already sold out? Maybe more are expected on the 21st. Or, maybe the person that posted about the 21st was incorrect, or mis-understood.

Mike Temporale
10-16-2004, 01:15 PM

in another thread tied to the first post regarding tek n toys, several others have noted that the phones are supposed to ship on Oct. 21st, which indicates that this is a pre-order situation, and they don't actually have any in stock...which is a pretty bad bait and switch, particularly when the people running the site have been in communication with tek n toys, and have not explained this to all of the people using their affiliate link to order the phones.

Bait and switch? Really? Here's a definition of bait and switch (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bait%20and%20switch) for you.

bait and switch - a deceptive way of selling that involves advertising a product at a very low price in order to attract customers who are then persuaded to switch to a more expensive product

Now, please explain to me how Tek n Toys have persuaded you to buy a more expensive product.

gcherian
10-16-2004, 02:49 PM
in another thread tied to the first post regarding tek n toys, several others have noted that the phones are supposed to ship on Oct. 21st, which indicates that this is a pre-order situation.

I think you are making doing more damage to your credibility here...

1. First you say 'I think this website implied they are shipping now' - and now you say it is Oct 21. That info was out at first itself and you did not bother to read through everything.

2. You have nothing to say about the order status and faxing the signature where you do not have to put the CC number.

3. You have nothing to say when there are others who have got the email back.

Why don't you just accept that it was not a good day for you and try to give the company a chance. I do believe that you still think that as this is a canadian company it Jason who is running it to rip off people - right.

Get a life and enjoy it and give others a chance.

George

RedAvenger
10-16-2004, 06:19 PM
I don't know but its always kind of shady when you have an affiliate relationship with another company and are trying to backdoor selling their products. Tek'N'Toys also looks very similiar to the design of smartphone thoughts. If you guys desire to cell phones I think it would be more honest if you did so yourselves through smartphone thoughts like Arne does over at ppcw.net. I have no problem with anyone making money but when you try to be sneaky about it, I lose all faith in you...

My two cents. Take it for what its worth.

TheEvaluator I suggest cancelling your order, faxing in an order is retarded. They need to get their site up to snuff plus they are selling the phone at an OUTRAGEOUS price. I think you would be much better off going and picking up the Audiovox SMT5600 from any ATTWireless store for $199. Some $200 cheaper than this phone and it has Windows Media Mobile 10.

Jason Dunn
10-16-2004, 06:44 PM
I find it pretty amusing how quickly you're willing to codemn me without actually waiting for me to respond or to get any facts. :roll:

The answer is pretty simple: I thought they had them in stock. Because the product page doesn't mention it's a pre-order, and because the product isn't in their pre-order section:

http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=162&modid=30214092059015

...I assumed they had the phones in stock. Obviously a very bad assumption on my part. :( I've updated my front-page post to indicate that the phone is a pre-order phone.

As for your other criticisms of Tek 'n Toys, you're right, it's not professional to have phone and fax numbers that don't work. I've been hammering them for weeks to get their house in order, but they're still working towards that it would seem. :?

Jason Dunn
10-16-2004, 07:00 PM
I don't know but its always kind of shady when you have an affiliate relationship with another company and are trying to backdoor selling their products.

Backdoor selling their products? I don't understand what that means - the SP3i is a brand new phone, not available from anyone else yet as far as I know...can you clarify what you mean by "backdoor selling"?

Tek'N'Toys also looks very similiar to the design of smartphone thoughts.

That's because the template and graphics were designed by Fabrizio Fiandanese, the same person who designed Smartphone Thoughts, Pocket PC Thoughts, and Digital Media Thoughts. What exactly is the problem with that?

If you guys desire to cell phones I think it would be more honest if you did so yourselves through smartphone thoughts like Arne does over at ppcw.net. I have no problem with anyone making money but when you try to be sneaky about it, I lose all faith in you...

I have no desire to sell phones - I have a desire to see the Windows Mobile Smartphone market grow, and for people who aren't in markets where the carriers sell Smartphones (like Canada) buying an unlocked SIM-free phone is the only way to get a Smartphone. I know how much work Arne does marketing, shipping and selling his phones, and I don't have the time or patience for it. ;-)

They need to get their site up to snuff plus they are selling the phone at an OUTRAGEOUS price. I think you would be much better off going and picking up the Audiovox SMT5600 from any ATTWireless store for $199. Some $200 cheaper than this phone and it has Windows Media Mobile 10.

I think you're a bit confused about exactly what Tek n' Toys is selling - that Audiovox SMT5600 for $199 is with a contract. You need to be an AT&T customer to get it for that price, and if you have a current contract, I'm quite sure that it would cost more to buy. It will also only work on the AT&T network - I couldn't order one from them and have it work on my network in Canada. Unlocked SIM-free phones always cost more, because there aren't any carrier subsidies to drop that price. That's the way it's always been - it seem to be that you don't really know the way the mobile phone world works. :?

shk718
10-16-2004, 08:00 PM
well i'm a bit ticked off at Tech 'n toys - not at jason - i think they lied to everyone. On thursday night when i saw the post about it - i emailed them and specifically asked them if they had it in stock the said yes (i still have that email.) After i got the reply - i canceled an order i had with expanse (because they said they wouldn't ship untill november (at least they didn't lie) and placed one with tech. so as far as i'm concerned tech 'n toys lied to get my business. i just sent another email to them to see what they had to say about it. shady business like that is so repulsive - and they know exactly what their doing - they did it on purpose to take business away from a competitor.

Sales
10-17-2004, 01:00 AM
If anyone is concerned about the availability of the SP3i i would just like to clarify that to everyone who ever emailed me and asked upon its availability or asked me upon Liveperson i consecutivley told everyone that the devices ship out to customers this coming thursday. any discrepancy did not come from me THANK YOU :)

RedAvenger
10-17-2004, 06:31 AM
Not trying to offend anyone but to me as someone sitting on the sidelines this thing just had all kinds of questionable business practices over it. I appreciate this site and visit it often and I don't want it to be tarnished over a desire to increase your wallet.

Thanks for explaining the similiarity for the sites. THere is nothing wrong with that, but from me looking at this over on the sidelines it LOOKS bad. It makes me think there is something going on under the covers.

Jason you may not like what I have to say but thats no reason for you to talk down at me. As for your statements about the phone from AT&T and the phone only working on AT&T. You are dead wrong. I know a couple of people who are quite happy using this phone on TMobile. You can buy the phone and do this thing called "Unlocking". On this particular phone it was only 10 bucks to unlock. Of course they subsidize the cost with a contract but the situation you describe is not a reality...

I don't know why you are trying to knock the SMT5600. It is an AWESOME phone. I highly recommend it and its largely the same hardware as the SP3i.

Like I said I wasn't meaning to offend anyone but it just looked VERY VERY bad. You run a great site and I appreciate your hard work. Its ok about you being from Canada. Really I am not mad.

Peace,
RA :)

Kris Kumar
10-17-2004, 02:02 PM
You can buy the phone and do this thing called "Unlocking". On this particular phone it was only 10 bucks to unlock. Of course they subsidize the cost with a contract but the situation you describe is not a reality...

Unlocking is a solution, you are right but it is a pain. (Not to forget SMT5600 has not been unlocked yet, last I heard people were having problems. Anyway I am sure it is a matter of time, the phone will be unlockable).

Lets take the SMT5600 at the retail price of $320. And with the 1/2 year contract rebate and instant rebate the price does come down to $200.

That sounds like a steal. Since the unlocking cost is only $25-$30. So you are looking at a price of $230. Awesome. But that is not true.

Why?

Scenario 1 : Terminate AT&T contract after 30 days and switch to T-Mobile.
Because to buy the phone you signed a minimum of 1 year contract. And the $50 mail in rebate that you get for signing a contract most often comes with a clause that says that you must have six months service before you get that money back. So that means the price is $280.

Now to move onto another service like T-Mobile, if you want to terminate the AT&T service, then you have to pay the early termination fee, which is easily $150 (or more). That means now the price of the phone is $430. And oh I forgot to add the activation charges which may or may not be present.

Scenario 2 : Terminate AT&T service within 30 days and switch to T-Mobile.
To avoid the termination fee if you cancel the service within the trial period or 30 days (not sure if everyone gets a trial period) then what is stopping AT&T from saying "return the phone or pay the full retail price". Which means the price is $320 (could be more also) + unlock cost. $350. Plus I am sure you will have to pay some Activation fee or service charges for the period you used the phone, which is non-refundable. The final cost would be close to $400. Which is good..but I feel it is not worth the pain. Plus you are just taking your chances. The above scenario may or may not work out.

Bottomline: SMT5600 from AT&T is the same as SP3i (minus the joystick which I like a lot, SMT5600 has joypad). It is a steal for people on the AT&T network or willing to sign up AT&T service. But for folks who are on T-Mobile or want T-Mobile as their service provider, unlocking SMT5600 is not an option.

Buying an unlocked phone from online store or maybe E-Bay is a wise option. You pay "one" price and have peace of mind.

gcherian
10-17-2004, 02:22 PM
You can buy the phone and do this thing called "Unlocking". On this particular phone it was only 10 bucks to unlock. Of course they subsidize the cost with a contract but the situation you describe is not a reality...

Wow - stating imaginative stuff as facts do not make it true. As of now, no one has found a way to unlock smt5600 - the folks over at imei-check.co.uk who do c500 has found problems with unlocking smt5600, but I am sure they will find a way out soon. Even then it is going to cost you 36 dollars and in your statement you try to say it as measly 10 dollars and your statements are as misleading or more - than you are accusing.

aristoBrat
10-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Bottomline: SMT5600 from AT&T is the same as SP3i (minus the joystick which I like a lot, SMT5600 has joypad).[/i]
I don't think the SP3*s have WMP 10. The 5600 does. :(

Kris Kumar
10-17-2004, 04:43 PM
Bottomline: SMT5600 from AT&T is the same as SP3i (minus the joystick which I like a lot, SMT5600 has joypad).[/i]
I don't think the SP3*s have WMP 10. The 5600 does. :(

Good point.

But I am willing to bet that i-mate will put out an update for the SP3i, that will have WMP10. Microsoft will ensure that. :-) i-mate is already working on WMP10 update for its PPC PE device.

Having a carrier independent phone enables access to ROM updates. Which you are denied when you are under a carrier.

aristoBrat
10-17-2004, 04:55 PM
FWIW, it's never seemed to be a problem putting another carriers ROM update on similiar hardware from other carriers. My Orange branded SPV e100 has been running the iMATE image on it for months now. :)

The issue w/ the MPx200 was that no carrier released an "offical" update, although people had no issues flashing their AT&T MPx200 to the generic ROM, or the leaked WM 2003 MPx200 ROM.

I mean, it's always best to get an "offical" ROM update from your provider -- they support it, but you're not totally fubar'ed if not.

aristoBrat
10-17-2004, 04:56 PM
\i-mate is already working on WMP10 update for its PPC PE device.
Speaking of ROM updates, did you see that T-Mobile Germany is already selling its SDA (EU$99 w/ a contract, ... US$125), but its shipping w/ WMP9??? :(

Kris Kumar
10-17-2004, 05:23 PM
FWIW, it's never seemed to be a problem putting another carriers ROM update on similiar hardware from other carriers. My Orange branded SPV e100 has been running the iMATE image on it for months now. :)

The issue w/ the MPx200 was that no carrier released an "offical" update, although people had no issues flashing their AT&T MPx200 to the generic ROM, or the leaked WM 2003 MPx200 ROM.

I mean, it's always best to get an "offical" ROM update from your provider -- they support it, but you're not totally fubar'ed if not.

Another good point.

But what has worked in the past may not work in the future. ;-) It is a very easy tweak for the carrier/manufacturer to restrict the ROM updates to stay within the carrier/product line. I mean to prevent cross updates.

Anyway regarding ROM updates: official or unoffical, we will "always" be at the mercy of carrier and/or manufacturer. :-(

Kris Kumar
10-17-2004, 05:39 PM
\i-mate is already working on WMP10 update for its PPC PE device.
Speaking of ROM updates, did you see that T-Mobile Germany is already selling its SDA (EU$99 w/ a contract, ... US$125), but its shipping w/ WMP9??? :(

Every carrier does their own testing or network worthiness test before launching the phone. This is separate from the manufacturer testing.

If Microsoft approached HTC late in the game regarding the WMP10. Then phones that were already out of HTC's hands like Orange SPV C500 and seems like T-Mobile SDA was also one of them, would not get the WMP10. Not unless the carrier is willing to retest the phone with the new software. Something I am sure T-Mobile would not have agreed to have done.

This is where carrier branded Smartphones are painful for the customers. Look at Verizon. They took their own sweet time launching the WM2003. When it was known that Samsung had the update ready ages ago.

I don't want to steer off the topic on this post. This whole ROM update, WMP10 is a messy topic. A real good one for debate. ;-)

All I would like to say is that when you buy an un-branded phone you are at the mercy of Microsoft and Manufacturer for the updates. But when you buy a Carrier branded phone, you are at the mercy of Microsoft, Manufacturer and the Carrier. And the Carrier is a non-tech company. They have no clue of what is hot or what is not. Okay I exaggerated a bit, their priorities are different. They can really slow down or kill the updates (unless absolutely important). WMP10 in the eyes of the carrier may not seem as a critical update. Customer or Microsoft may see it differently.

Jason Dunn
10-17-2004, 09:24 PM
As for your statements about the phone from AT&T and the phone only working on AT&T. You are dead wrong. I know a couple of people who are quite happy using this phone on TMobile. You can buy the phone and do this thing called "Unlocking". On this particular phone it was only 10 bucks to unlock. Of course they subsidize the cost with a contract but the situation you describe is not a reality...

Interesting. So you're saying that someone from another country (Canada let's say) can buy the phone from AT&T for $199 without a contract, then pay $10 to get it unlocked? If that's the case, then I was dead wrong and I apologize - $199 USD for a phone without a contract is an amazing price - far, far less than I've ever heard of before. If you can confirm this information for me, I'll gladly post it on the front page. Getting a Smartphone that can be used on any network for only $199 is phenominal...

aristoBrat
10-17-2004, 11:21 PM
I know a couple of people who are quite happy using this phone on TMobile. You can buy the phone and do this thing called "Unlocking". On this particular phone it was only 10 bucks to unlock. Of course they subsidize the cost with a contract but the situation you describe is not a reality...
RedAvenger, please post a link to the $10 unlocking. The only unlocking the rest of us have found is ~$US39, and not available for the SMT5600 for a few days until they fix some stuff to guarantee it works 100% -- some folks bricked their SMT 5600 trying to unlock them.

As for $199, unless you get a very misinformed sales person, you must sign up for AT&T service to receive that price. To buy it outright, sans service, is $300+.

tw
10-18-2004, 02:08 AM
&lt;B>UPDATE:&lt;/B> The band switch is done via software in the phone. So the phones being sold are actually quad-band phones, but in the settings of the phone you have to select which band you want it to be - European or North American. My original SPV was like this (or was it the E200?) - it wouldn't work until I selected "PCS" as the band.

Is the band switching an visible option in the SP3i's settings? Or is it hidden? If yes, how do you invoke it?

I ask because the European SPV C500 and SDAs don't have this option. At least I don't know of such an option. But I would like to have it when I travel to the US.

Jason Dunn
10-18-2004, 05:48 AM
Is the band switching an visible option in the SP3i's settings? Or is it hidden? If yes, how do you invoke it? I ask because the European SPV C500 and SDAs don't have this option. At least I don't know of such an option. But I would like to have it when I travel to the US.

That's just what I was told, but since I don't have an SP3i, I can't confirm it. There is no band switching in my C500, but if the SP3/SP3i is being made by Carrier Devices for use in both Europe and North America, it wouldn't surprise me if they had a software setting that the C500 does not. I wish I knew more!

shk718
10-18-2004, 11:26 PM
i just got an email from tec 'n toys that the phone will be delayed for 2 weeks - so i guess they never had them in stock (big suprise)

here is the email:

Dear Customer

Thank you for your recent order or the I-mate Sp3i, Unfortunatley this email is not bearing the best of news. We recently recived notice from the manufacturer of the device that our shipment has been delayed by about 2 weeks. Im very sorry to be relaying this information

But rest assured no credit card will be more then pre authorized until the item is actually prepped to ship to you.. thank you kindly for your patience

Sincerely

Kris Kumar
10-19-2004, 02:23 AM
Wonderful :roll: I cancelled my order on eXpansys because they were saying November. And was counting on TnT to deliver. I am guessing TnT will get the phones the same time as eXpansys, maybe later because their operation is a lot smaller than eXpansys.

shk718
10-19-2004, 02:58 AM
Wonderful :roll: I cancelled my order on eXpansys because they were saying November. And was counting on TnT to deliver. I am guessing TnT will get the phones the same time as eXpansys, maybe later because their operation is a lot smaller than eXpansys.

i did the same thing and was always wondering why tnt was getting them before expansys.

Frankienutz
10-19-2004, 05:11 AM
I've sent sales@tekntoys 3 email requests to cancel my order...No Response yet. I also canceled my order with Expansys thinking I would get the phone much sooner. I really hope they just cancel my order. When or if they cancel my order it's time for me to speak my mind. Keep you posted.

fulltilt
10-21-2004, 11:59 AM
In Australia, I rang the manufacturers local support number (carrierdevices=imate) and they gave me a number of the Australian distributor (Cellnet) who informed me that they will be released to retailers Nov 2. :lol:
iMate said the 'lead' retailer will be Telstra shops.
waiting patiently. 8O

fulltilt
10-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Is the band switching an visible option in the SP3i's settings? Or is it hidden? If yes, how do you invoke it? I ask because the European SPV C500 and SDAs don't have this option. At least I don't know of such an option. But I would like to have it when I travel to the US.

That's just what I was told, but since I don't have an SP3i, I can't confirm it. There is no band switching in my C500, but if the SP3/SP3i is being made by Carrier Devices for use in both Europe and North America, it wouldn't surprise me if they had a software setting that the C500 does not. I wish I knew more!

I believe from the discussions I have had with Expansys UK that it is a s/w setting.

shk718
10-23-2004, 01:58 PM
i wonder if the reason for the delay is because their loading WM 10 on the phone and fixing gaming issues???? one can hope.

aristoBrat
10-23-2004, 05:07 PM
i wonder if the reason for the delay is because their loading WM 10 on the phone and fixing gaming issues???? one can hope.
Could be. Orange just released its C500 ROM upgrade that fixed the gaming issue, but didn't add WMP 10.

Maybe these guys aren't going to sell their phones until they're flashed.

jtheun
11-02-2004, 06:12 PM
I phoned and emailed tek 'n toys a number of times in the last week (I have an order in...), asking for an update on the delivery date... but have not received any answers. Has anyone had any luck with them?

shk718
11-03-2004, 01:02 AM
I phoned and emailed tek 'n toys a number of times in the last week (I have an order in...), asking for an update on the delivery date... but have not received any answers. Has anyone had any luck with them?

i emailed them also and didn't get an answer so i went to their web site and clicked their "live help" button. someone came online and was helpful. He said that they were expecting a shipment at the end of this week. i also emailed imate directly to get some answers. they said the phone was released already. they also said that it will not ship with Windows media 10 but they will offer a free upgrade in December. i also asked about the bluetooth stack that comes with the phone they said it wasn't a 3rd party stack but was microsofts but said it has built-in configuration for ActiveSync via Bluetooth. i have heard that activesync via bluetooth has been a problem with microsofts stack. lets hope it works and that the phone ships this week.

aristoBrat
11-03-2004, 01:24 AM
FWIW, I'm running the imate ROM on the 5600 and have had zero problems with BlueTooth ActiveSync.

jtheun
11-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the update. Now you have me worried. I heard that the MS bluetooth stack does not support voice commands through bluetooth headsets... that would suck. Makes me think I should get the SMT5600.

aristoBrat
11-03-2004, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the update. Now you have me worried. I heard that the MS bluetooth stack does not support voice commands through bluetooth headsets... that would suck. Makes me think I should get the SMT5600.
Don't worry -- the imate ROM supports the voice tags.

I think that 99.9% of the features are put into the ROM by HTC (the manufacturer).

Carriers (like AT&T and Orange) and distributers (like imate) do some branding changes and may add some specific programs (Orange used to add some programs that would back your stuff up over-the-air), but I've never seen a huge change (like a BT stack or voice tags) between ROMs for the same hardware.

jtheun
11-17-2004, 07:37 PM
So, I have been sending emails... and calling... but no response/answer from TeknToys. Has anyone heard anything about when these babies will ship? They have my order, but I am thinking of going back to expansys and ordering it there, since I am not hearing anything from tekntoys...

Kris Kumar
11-17-2004, 10:11 PM
So, I have been sending emails... and calling... but no response/answer from TeknToys. Has anyone heard anything about when these babies will ship? They have my order, but I am thinking of going back to expansys and ordering it there, since I am not hearing anything from tekntoys...

Expansys is currently reporting that it has them in stock. I got the email stock alert.

jtheun
11-17-2004, 10:17 PM
Expansys is currently reporting that it has them in stock. I got the email stock alert.

That is great news. They say it is the UK version, though. I guess the only difference is the AC power adapter?

aristoBrat
11-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Double-check with them, but I'd also assume that the phone would be 900/1800/1900 mhz, making it useless on US 850mhz towers.

Kris Kumar
11-17-2004, 10:22 PM
Double-check with them, but I'd also assume that the phone would be 900/1800/1900 mhz, making it useless on US 850mhz towers.

Good point. Should find out if Expansys is also carrying the software switch or not.

Jason Dunn
11-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Good point. Should find out if Expansys is also carrying the software switch or not.

I heard about a week ago that it's actually NOT a software switch after all - Carrier Devices apparently gave out bogus info which confused all their vendors. :roll: It's so hard to figure out who knows what they're talking about. :?

Kris Kumar
11-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Just spoke with the eXpansys sales team. They are selling the European version which is 900/1800/1900. And they are not aware of any software switch or any future plans to make available the American version with 850/1800/1900.

aarcam
11-19-2004, 02:51 AM
:evil: My extensive vocabulary of vulgar words and inappropriate phrases clearly falls short if I were to try and express myself at this turn of events, so I offer a simple, Drat. I was so ready to get this phone, it was all that I could have asked for, and yet it is not to be…
Have to see if T-Mobile comes through I guess. Why is it so hard to get the phone that you want in the states?

aristoBrat
11-19-2004, 03:12 AM
T-Mobile US is notorious for disabling the 850 band in most phones it sells, so ... who knows what they'll end up offering?

aarcam
11-19-2004, 06:48 PM
I guess instead of being upset I should have asked if there is anyone currently running a tri-band 900/1800/1900 phone in the US (I know you are out there), more specifically the LA area and how well it works. I still dig this phone, just the option of all 4 bands would have made it beter. TIA.

jtheun
11-19-2004, 06:52 PM
So, I got through to the 'Live' link on their site yesterday (tekntoys.com). And asked the dreaded question... 'what is the latest on shipping date'

&lt;drum roll>

Dec 6.

8O

Mike Temporale
11-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Dec 6.

8O

:twak:

Then why does it still show on their site with no mention of it not actually being in stock? :evil: