View Full Version : MPx220 Official US Release On October 17

Mike Temporale
10-15-2004, 03:20 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/Oct/1083332.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/Oct/1083332.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>" Today, Motorola, Inc. announced the retail availability of the Motorola MPx220 in the United States. Designed to meet the needs of today's busy "pro- sumers" - including multi-tasking professionals and discriminating consumers - the Motorola MPx220 with Windows Mobile software delivers the perfect balance of business functionality and personal flair. The model MPx220 with Cingular service is initially available at Best Buy stores nationwide beginning Sunday, October 17 and will hit Cingular retail stores later next month."</i><br /><br />Ok... So If it's not official until this weekend, why was Best Buy running it in their <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=42398">local flyer</a> last weekend? :? Oh well. if you're local Best Buy doesn't have the MPx220 yet, check for it on Sunday and they should. :)

lagrangeboy
10-15-2004, 04:45 PM
When is it going to be out on AT&T! :bad-words:
I guess I will have to break down and pay the extra bucks at BB and plop in my AT&T sim.

brianchris
10-15-2004, 04:48 PM
When is it going to be out on AT&T! :bad-words:
I guess I will have to break down and pay the extra bucks at BB and plop in my AT&T sim.

An AT&T source of mine said Novenmber 3rd (or was it the 13th? :oops: )was the day. Either way, if he's correct, not long. He said its already showing up in their systems.

John Cody
10-15-2004, 06:40 PM
I went to the "Digital Life" expo yesterday in NYC, and a Motorola rep said that Cingular has a 30-day exclusive for the MPX-220. So, it probably won't be available in other channels until after 11/16.

The screen is real small, I mean both vertical and horizontal, it is 10% smaller then the screen size on an MPX-200. Also, the screen is much brighter then a mpx-200, but it seemed the contrast was not as great, so a few areas on the screen looked like it was overexposed and could not make out the text very well. There was no "Brightness" setting. There was a "Contrast" setting, but it did not do anything for the main display (maybe it was for the external LCD which I forgot to check). The camera can also record video (I didn't know this previously).

Also, I got to play with the MPX - it's definitely bulky and heavy. They didn't have an ETA of availability because there are problems with the radio that is delaying it's release.

Jerry Raia
10-15-2004, 10:02 PM
I got mine a week ago at a Best Buy

bmetelsky
10-16-2004, 01:58 AM

How much did it sell for at Best Buy?

John Cody
10-16-2004, 02:57 AM
My friend just bought one tonight at the Best Buy in Westbury, Long Island. They said they have 5 left.

Jerry Raia
10-16-2004, 06:06 AM

$500, no contract. $350 w/2yr contract

lurch
10-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Just got mine today also (saturday). Whoo hoo!

Does anybody know about the motorola registration for a free bt headset? They don't seem to be opening it up for registration just yet, and none of my documentation in the box says how to register the phone.

PPCMD
10-16-2004, 08:26 PM
I registered at Moto's site and have yet to receive any emails. I already have an HS810 which by the way is very nice. But it seems the FREEBIE is only for ATTWS customers. This is odd since the site didn't make that mention that only the first 1000 customers get one. Well its seem to me that BB and Cingular jumped the shark here and beat ATTWS to the punch.

bsic
10-17-2004, 02:10 AM

$500, no contract. $350 w/2yr contract

How in the world will that sell with the 5600 out now... its much cheaper, and great reviews

PPCMD
10-17-2004, 05:10 PM
I don't care for candy bar phones regardless of price. Also the design itself does not lend well to everything for everyone.

Beowulf
10-17-2004, 06:20 PM
They are also giving out $100 rebates on the $350 w/activation, but not on the $500. So technically directly compared to Attw its $250; not that much more.

The problem is best buy seems to be only capable of signing up new customers and they couldn't handle my upgrade situation. In turn I got stuck with the $500 with no rebate.

They won't honor Cingular's upgrade plans at my local best buy, so I will return the phone in 29 days and get it from the Cingular store and save my $250.

Anyway the phone is great other than the camera.. :)

I got my nintendo emulator, MS Streets, a few music videos, Star Wars IV (yes whole movie), and some mp3's. Everything runs really well. I am really happy. All my friends look at the phone in shock and amazement. All saying "wtf your phone can do that? How is that possible, I want one, oh you paid what!?!?!" Hehe

--Paul

bsic
10-17-2004, 10:52 PM
an the camera.. :)

Star Wars IV (yes whole movie), and some mp3's.

--Paul

Ohhhh you must tell me how you did this!!! I havent tried but Im dying to know how you can do this!!

lurch
10-18-2004, 01:53 AM
The problem is best buy seems to be only capable of signing up new customers and they couldn't handle my upgrade situation. In turn I got stuck with the $500 with no rebate.
They won't honor Cingular's upgrade plans at my local best buy, so I will return the phone in 29 days and get it from the Cingular store and save my $250.

Anyway the phone is great other than the camera.. :)

Wierd, that's the exact same thing that happened to me, except the best buy guys called Cingular directly and cingular said "no, not eligible for upgrade" -- even though when I call cingular they tell me I am. I might consider returning the phone after 29 days (good plan!) except by then I've got it just the way I like it. And I kinda like not being locked into 2 more years... :)

Oh, and yeah, the camera sucks (good thing I don't plan on using it)

Kris Kumar
10-18-2004, 03:45 AM
..except by then I've got it just the way I like it.

Well shouldn't a backup utility like Sprite Backup work for transferring images between phones, that are the same model? ;-)

Beowulf
10-18-2004, 03:56 AM
Ohhhh you must tell me how you did this!!! I havent tried but Im dying to know how you can do this!!

I used the software on this site.
http://divx.ppccool.com/

You will also have to get something like AnyDVD to read DVDs.

I noticed a packaged DVD to smartphone solution for sale; I have not tried this, but it may be easier.

http://www.smartphone.net/smartphonethoughts/software_detail.asp?id=724

I found a full length movie to come out to about 190mb using the divx method.

james840a
10-18-2004, 04:36 AM
I got mine on saturday, i love mine so far. mine was $349 + a $50 mail in rebait for a 1 year contract. But since it is close to my birthday my dad bought me the phone :D so it is free for me. So far i played with the camera, witch is ok, good enough for picture id. Ill use my Eos 10D for all the good pictures ;) I was able to link my sony ericsson bluetooth head set (old model) to my MPx220. I think ill get a new one from motoral. The ear peace voice is about the same as my V60 so its ok with me. I just LOVE the voice dail on the phone. Dont have to program the voices for each person. I have not tried the sync with bluetooth since i dont have a usb bluetooth adaptor yet. (future buy) The flip hinge is really good, doesnt move at all. There are alot of clear plastic protection all over the phone so got to look for them, example, one on the M logos, IR to name a few. Will this is my first smartphone and i am happy with it.

lurch
10-18-2004, 05:51 AM
..except by then I've got it just the way I like it.

Well shouldn't a backup utility like Sprite Backup work for transferring images between phones, that are the same model? ;-)
Good point, and I guess with the $$ I'd save by getting the rebate I could buy a few programs (I'm prettymuch cashing out on the phone itself :? )
But fortunately games like Snails have a "buy once" policy, so I could go right to their website and download the smartphone version! :) It's really well done!