View Full Version : Motorola's MPx220 Still Has Problems?

Mike Temporale
10-09-2004, 01:00 PM
We're starting to hear some grumbling about the new MPx220. Apparently it still has poor battery life, the camera quality is no better than the early prototypes, the volume is low making it hard to hear your conversation, and the hinge is flimsy. I'm a little shocked to hear anything negative about this phone at this point in time. I thought that Motorola delayed this phone to get all these issues worked out?

Anyone lucky enough to snag a new MPx220 care to comment? Please share your feelings and observations on this with us.

encece
10-09-2004, 01:25 PM
I've been waiting for the AT&T/Cingular version of the C500 anyway. So I'm not too dissappointed.

Here's something silly, but I hated how much "material" there is framing the screen of the MPx220. Reminds me of the i600 screen which gets lost in the housing around it. The MPx200 di not look this was though. They had minimal material to the left and right of the screen.

The only possible seller of the MPx220 would have been the camera & flash for me. But since they suck....I know which direction I'll be going.

Kris Kumar
10-09-2004, 01:37 PM
I am confused. Arne's post had got me excited. I was ready to order the SP3i from eXpansys. But decided to give MPx220 a chance. More because its price is the same as the SP3i.

Kris Kumar
10-09-2004, 03:25 PM
Another concern...if the product is buggy, what about the firmware updates? In the past, Motorola and AT&T (I am sure Cingular will be no different) never provided updates to the MPx200. :-(

mar2k
10-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Another concern...if the product is buggy, what about the firmware updates? In the past, Motorola and AT&T (I am sure Cingular will be no different) never provided updates to the MPx200. :-(

That's a big concern for me. If I knew there were regular ROM updates I wouldn't worry so much. That's why I wish there were an HP branded Smartphone. If anything, they have always been great about posting updates to their Pocket PC devices.

Beowulf
10-09-2004, 04:33 PM
I found two people who had the phone and commented.

One said his pictures looked fine on the phone, and didn't have any immediate way to transfer them to a PC. He also wanted to charge his phone for 24 hours before using it more.

The other one who started this new bad picture rumor couldn't manage to post anything but broken links of the pictures he took. Therefore I have yet to find any reliable source to confirm any of these flaws.

nobody
10-09-2004, 05:12 PM
It seems that the price is not much a concern for those considering Mpx220. I mean, come on, $349 for a phone, with so much problem, when you can get a Mpx200 for almost nothing. In fact I made $20 when I order Mpx200 with 1 year contracts.

If a phone costs $349, it dooms for failure.

sclui56
10-09-2004, 05:20 PM
OK, I really don't care much about cameras on phones, but since you asked ;), I have snapped 5 quick & dirty shots off my 220. The last pix was indoor w/ flash on:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/E06C026BC16C254

Is probably a toss up with the ones off a Treo 600, I rather they improve the sensor than increase the resolution, if the sensor is marginally, the increased resolution just make the pix look that much worse, IMHO.

I have been using a Voq & except for the lack of B/T, I've found the volume, ringer, speakerphone, RF, and navaigation w/ joystick is simply a cut above the 220, especially the RF.

windmiller
10-09-2004, 05:54 PM
I still dont see ANY proof that this phone has problems.

Kris Kumar
10-09-2004, 07:00 PM
OK, I really don't care much about cameras on phones, but since you asked ;), I have snapped 5 quick & dirty shots off my 220. The last pix was indoor w/ flash on:

Thanks for sharing the photos.

For a 1.3 Megapixel camera, I was expecting a little more. I have a 1 Mega pixel "webcam" camera. Which is couple of years old and does, I believe, a better job than the MPx220.

But hey, camera won't sway my decision. I was never planning on using it.

Do keep us posted on the battery life etc.

Have you used the Moto MPx200. Was wondering how the RF and voice quality is compared to the MPx200? Thanks

sclui56
10-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Kris,

I honestly didn't know that the cam was rated at 1.3 until after I bought the 220 (never paid any attention to the cam feature), I have seen better VGA quality from other handsets, and some of these are 1-2 year old models.

Higher resolution doesn't equal to quality if the maufacturer opted for carppy CCD or CMOS.

As for the 200, yes, I had the US ATT version and the 220 is better in the RF as well as voice quality, just quality b/c I find the volume is low on the 220.

Kris Kumar
10-09-2004, 08:19 PM
As for the 200, yes, I had the US ATT version and the 220 is better in the RF as well as voice quality, just quality b/c I find the volume is low on the 220.

Y.E.S. :-)

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks

ben865
10-10-2004, 12:09 AM

Thanks for sharing the photos.

For a 1.3 Megapixel camera, I was expecting a little more. I have a 1 Mega pixel "webcam" camera. Which is couple of years old and does, I believe, a better job than the MPx220.

But hey, camera won't sway my decision. I was never planning on using it.

Do keep us posted on the battery life etc.

Have you used the Moto MPx200. Was wondering how the RF and voice quality is compared to the MPx200? Thanks

I've had a 220 for a few weeks now and am very impressed with it.

It is currently with Moto to have the firmware updated to the latest. Once I have it back I will be posting a full review here.

The canera is a little soft but it's a phone with a camera not the other way round; it's fine for snaps and actually the video is good too.

Battery life is fine also. Generally lasts me a couple of days. My normal mobile will last longer but then my normal mobile doesn't do as much and doesn't get used as much.

RF is up to Moto's normal high standards - I never had any problems with the 200 - I blame that funny American GSM you guys use :wink:

sclui56
10-10-2004, 01:00 AM
I blame that funny American GSM you guys use

Absolutely! May not be funny, just that things are more spread out & we are behind the curve in terms of building the infrastructure for GSM. It's really sad that I would be going in & out of dead-zones in L.A. during a 20 miles commute, happens on ATT, Cingular, TM, and Nextel.

OTOH, I was vacationing in So. Italy this last summer & had my Treo600, I was getting almost full signals in the middle of nowhere or high into the mountains.

My comment on the camera is just that it's not on par with some of the more cuurent handsets, but either case, I never use the cam on the phone.

Do you find the speakerphone adequate on your sample?

aristoBrat
10-10-2004, 06:34 AM
Another thread with some grumblings...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=474157&perpage=30

Jerry Raia
10-10-2004, 06:43 AM
I just got one. Been loading it up with all my software. So far i like it alot. We'll see how it does :)

ben865
10-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Do you find the speakerphone adequate on your sample?

Speakerphone is excellent. I have never used speakerphone on a mobile and was really surprised how good and how usable the speakerphone is.

Kris Kumar
10-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Can we please..please..please get some pictures of the phone?

- snapshot showing the Cingular logo on the phone
- snapshot of the Cingular home screen

:-)

Please send them to news at smartphonethoughts dot com. :-)

windmiller
10-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the link Aristobrat.....I really hope these problems can be worked around. The one big one is the bluetooth voice dial issue.

Cingular rep last night stated that BEst BUy has an exclusive for 2 months. No sure if its true or not.

PPCMD
10-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Has anyone sent Moto a tech message asking about firmware updates and mentioning the issues with the volume etc? I am still waiting for BB in the Syracuse area to get it next week.

I read about users who hacked the 200's system and adjusted the volume would it be the same?

PPCMD
10-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Here is what I asked and I will post the response.

I am looking to purchase the MPX220 from Cingular, I have some concerns and reservations about this phone based on initial reports I am reading from users who have final production units purchased just this week through select Best Buy Stores (Cingular) who have them for sale.

Among my concerns are:
(1) Volume level, it seems the volume control does little to increase the volume and its hard to hear the caller.

(2) Camera quality is poor, while the camera is not my primary concern since I also have a V710 that works fine.

(3) My biggest concern is firmware updates from either Motorola and/or the carrier specifically Cingular. Indications from previous users of the MPX200 Motorola and Cingular did not offer firmware updates and the initial issues users reported were left unresolved.

(4) Does Motorola plan to offer firmware updates for the MPX220 to address user concerns and if so must we wait for the Cingular to offer them and if they do not can we send an MPX220 in for any updates.

Thank you.

Beowulf
10-10-2004, 05:27 PM
The pictures are better than the prototypes, but are still not up to par with normal 1.2mp digital cameras, which is disapointing. Its very odd; it looks like they have the resolution of 1.2mp cameras but not the DPI. It almost makes me think there is some DPI variable that is not properly being updated with the resolution.

I know Cingular did not mean to release all of the phones unlocked. Best Buy is renowned for selling you products that are supposed to be held.

According to Motorolla this phone is not offically released. I think we will see a major firmware upgrade as the official launch rolls out.

sclui56
10-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Pix of Phone

Here you go Kris, wife has the Cingular SIM so I'm using TMo's:

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/MPX220HS.jpg

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/MPX220CingKey.jpg

Post Edited by Kris: I moved the images to Smartphone Thoughts server. :-) The original images can be accessed here: Home Screen (http://www.fototime.com/200737A318E6076/orig.jpg) and Logo. (http://www.fototime.com/7D5606C6B6AD66F/orig.jpg) Thanks sclui56 for the images. :)

apeguero
10-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Looks to me like Moto is just dumping off it's first batch of junky MPX220s to the first few that buy them. I mean, why would they offer a free BT headset worth over $130.00 to the first 1000 to buy this phone? Looks like a bait.

I bet when it becomes generally available through AT&T WS and the other stores then it will be the updated, fixed phone. As much as I want to, I think I'll wait until mid-November to buy it. Hopefully it will be fixed by then and will be offered by AT&T WS. I'll also only have 1 1/2 months to go on my Sprint subscription at which point I can drop that subscription to the absolute minimum monthly charge and therefore avoid the $150.00 per phone fee for an early termination (from Sprint that is) :).

Which service do you all prefer? Cingular or AT&T? Or does it even matter anymore since it's the same company?

kidshyleen
10-10-2004, 07:50 PM
I visited our Best Buy and took a look at the phone. No one knew anything about the phone; I guess because it is so new. They told me that it was locked to Cingular. So I took my ATT sim card and put it in the phone and of course it worked just fine. The volume is very very very low. In fact with all the noise in the place and the volume maxed I could hardly hear the person on the other line. The phone seemed responsive enough. I did not try the camera. The hinge did not alarm me as to poor quality. I can say that the mpx200 seemed a bit more solid. This phone was very light. I don't know about battery life as I did not buy the phone. I just wasn't very impressed. They were selling the phone for $249 with a Cing plan. $499 without. Just my observations.

ben865
10-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the link Aristobrat.....I really hope these problems can be worked around. The one big one is the bluetooth voice dial issue.

Cingular rep last night stated that BEst BUy has an exclusive for 2 months. No sure if its true or not.

Bluetooth voice dial is a limitation of the Bluetooth implementation by Microsoft. My understanding is that it won't be resolved until the next version of Windows Mobile.

PPCMD
10-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Here is what I asked and I will post the response.

I am looking to purchase the MPX220 from Cingular, I have some concerns and reservations about this phone based on initial reports I am reading from users who have final production units purchased just this week through select Best Buy Stores (Cingular) who have them for sale.

Among my concerns are:
(1) Volume level, it seems the volume control does little to increase the volume and its hard to hear the caller.

(2) Camera quality is poor, while the camera is not my primary concern since I also have a V710 that works fine.

(3) My biggest concern is firmware updates from either Motorola and/or the carrier specifically Cingular. Indications from previous users of the MPX200 Motorola and Cingular did not offer firmware updates and the initial issues users reported were left unresolved.

(4) Does Motorola plan to offer firmware updates for the MPX220 to address user concerns and if so must we wait for the Cingular to offer them and if they do not can we send an MPX220 in for any updates.

Thank you.

Here is the response I received today. I must say they were very prompt . . .

Dear Mr. XXXX XXXXX

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

Regarding your concern, the maximum level of volume for the earpiece and the ringer is 7 and this level should provide strong volume sound. A unit that does not provide strong volume sound or through which you can barely listen, could be defective.

Regarding your other concern, this is no doubt one of the best phones we have manufactured. This cellular phone has a high quality camera.

Regarding your other concern, software upgrades are done through the Carrier, not through Motorola. However, if in any way your unit goes through any kind of problem that can be considered a mulfunction, Motorola is here for you. You may contact our Customer Care Center at 1-800-331-6456. The agent who handles the phone call will be able to assist you.

Our hours of operation are from Monday to Friday from 8AM to 7PM Central Standard Time.

For more information about our products and services you may search through our Web Site at:
http://www.motorola.com/us

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to be of your service.

Best regards,
Kimberly

my response is next.

PPCMD
10-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Thank you for the prompt response. Having owned many Motorla phones I have yet to purchase any where volume control was a major issue and I wanted to confirm if this was a part of the MPX220's design. Since it is not I will have a copy of this email with me when I get my MPX220 in case the Best Buy Associate doesn't believe me.

With regard to the camera I have seen several sample photos taken at full resolution and they appear to be very out of focus. This link can take you directly to an on going discussion on the MPX220 including sample pics.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=475148

Any further information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

aristoBrat
10-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Bluetooth voice dial is a limitation of the Bluetooth implementation by Microsoft. My understanding is that it won't be resolved until the next version of Windows Mobile.
The OS doesn't include it, but HTC put in a 3rd-party app on the C500 that allows voice dial over bluetooth.

Kris Kumar
10-10-2004, 11:56 PM
Thanks sclui56 for the photos.

Surprised that Cingular went for a vanilla home screen. :? No special wallpaper, only the Cingular Xpress Mail link.

sclui56
10-11-2004, 01:03 AM
PPCMD, looks like Kimberly is busy answering email today, I got a similar reply regarding the earpiece volume, and she wanted to know what problem I have with the cam since I wrote in the original web form that it sucks.

Kris, there is s aplsh screen with Cingular logo "Hello" in ROM, and the ONLY Home Screen customization is the Cingular XpressMail.

http://www.fototime.com/A177EE72AFB16EB/orig.gif

Kris Kumar
10-11-2004, 01:10 AM
That's a nice power up logo. I might use that for my current phone. ;-)

sclui56
10-11-2004, 01:18 AM
That's no bad for a branded logo, not too intrusive ;) BTW, when I replied to Kimberly's email, I sent her the link to the lousy pix I took here:

I even included 1 from a Treo600, I know it doesn;t sport the same 1.3MP, and it's not very sharp, but at least the color is much closer to reality from the Treo.

mar2k
10-11-2004, 05:05 AM
Reading these posts it seems a lot of people would be willing to put up with bad camera quality from a phone, but the low volume problems seems inexcusable. I truly hope they fix this in a ROM update or someone quickly comes out with a hack. I really want a Smartphone, but a Smartphone is supposed to be a great PHONE, first and foremost, per Microsoft, that means actually talking and being able to hear the person you are talking to. Otherwise you might as well get a Pocket PC phone edition device. I don't know if Motorola or Cingular or the hardware OEM is to blame for the volume issue but a fix is needed and quick or they are going to wonder why these are flying out the door at Best Buy and then being returned at the same rate.....

Jerry Raia
10-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Well so far I am suprised about this phone. I dont have a volume problem but I cant get active sync to work with BlueTooth. There doesn't seem to be any file tranfer capability using BT. Another thing which may be just my problem. If I go into Flight Mode (Radio Off) and then turn it back on, about half the time the phone doesnt find the sim card. I have to reboot the phone to get it working again. I am a bit disapointed with this. :(

Kris Kumar
10-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Well so far I am suprised about this phone. I dont have a volume problem but I cant get active sync to work with BlueTooth. There doesn't seem to be any file tranfer capability using BT. Another thing which may be just my problem. If I go into Flight Mode (Radio Off) and then turn it back on, about half the time the phone doesnt find the sim card. I have to reboot the phone to get it working again. I am a bit disapointed with this. :(

Are you on T-Mobile network? And using a very old SIM card. Get a replacement SIM. I have seen this problem. The problem went away when I replaced my 2 year old SIM with a new one from T-Mobile. Unfortunately they do charge some money. :-(

PPCMD
10-11-2004, 05:31 PM
Thank you for the prompt response. Having owned many Motorla phones I have yet to purchase any where volume control was a major issue and I wanted to confirm if this was a part of the MPX220's design. Since it is not I will have a copy of this email with me when I get my MPX220 in case the Best Buy Associate doesn't believe me.

With regard to the camera I have seen several sample photos taken at full resolution and they appear to be very out of focus. This link can take you directly to an on going discussion on the MPX220 including sample pics.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=475148

Any further information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

The last response from Motorola:

Motorola's Response:

Dear Mr. xxxx xxxxx,

Thank you for reaching us back.

Regarding your concern, just as we mentioned in our previous response, the MPX220 has a high quality camera.

The quality of the pictures improve of decrease considering the distance at which the picture is taken and the light conditions.

If you experience any problems adjusting the settings for the camera you may reach us. We will be able to assist you.

If you purchase this phone you will have no regrets. This is no doubt one of the best phones we ever manufactured. We are really proud of this product.

Eventually you will get the chance to test this for yourself.

For further information regarding this or any other subject, please do not hesitate to visit our website www.motorola.com or contact our Customer Care Center at 1-800-331-6456, where one of our agents will be happy to assist you. Our hours of operation are from Monday to Friday from 8AM to 7PM Central Standard Time.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to be of your service.

Best regards,

Not sure what to make of it. I don't doubt this is a great phone but some of the initial reports while subjective some are not. If the BT is crippled per Cingular so we can't do file transfers that is lame. If the standard OS has been tweaked to disrupt how you would normally use it that is also weak. I look forward to testing this out and giving it a shot though.

mar2k
10-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Ugh, a horrible canned marketing-friendly response. They don't even make mention of the volume issue which is a much bigger problem than the camera. That told us absolutely nothing!

Kris Kumar
10-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Looks like Motorola's Customer Care folks have been trained by the same folks who trained Verizon's "Worry Free Guarantee" Customer Support Team. :lol:

martyburns
10-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Hi,

I have been using the MPx220 for about three weeks now, and it is by far the best smartphone I have used. Battery life is about 4-5 days, an dI have had no problem with low volume when talking on it. The hinge has shown no sign of being weak either.

The photos are not the best quality, nor the worst, and I will try to post some today.

regards,

Martin

martyburns
10-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Here are a few images

http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/mdykes/DSC_00007.jpg
http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/mdykes/DSC_00008.jpg
http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/mdykes/DSC_00009.jpg

and some proof its the 220:

http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/mdykes/IMAGE_00001.jpg
http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/mdykes/IMAGE_00002.jpg

Jerry Raia
10-11-2004, 10:28 PM

Are you on T-Mobile network? And using a very old SIM card. Get a replacement SIM. I have seen this problem. The problem went away when I replaced my 2 year old SIM with a new one from T-Mobile. Unfortunately they do charge some money. :-(

No its a 3 month old Cingular Sim Card. Its doing it less often now.
The volume is weaker than that of my i600.

The crippled BlueTooth really makes me mad though. :evil:

sullivanpt
10-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Martyburns,

Your photos are on par with the quality of photos I am getting with my mpx220. I noticed adjusting the saturation (right and left joystick in picture viewer) does affect the picture quality, but nothing substantial.

The other thing I learned very quickly is that it is *really* easy to take blurry pictures with this phone. I need to brace my hand against something to get crisp edges.

Overall the photo quality is what I would expec from a 1 megapixel camera. Better than my old sub-mega pixel camera and not as good as my wife's 2.5 MP camera. No complaints here.

Oh but that volume. BIG problem. Interesting too, because the speaker phone volume has been inconsistent (like my old PPC PE phone). Sometimes not audible, sometimes loud enough to make the speakers pop, all on the same volume level.

PPCMD
10-12-2004, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the update and another view that the phone is not as bad as some feel it is. The pics are better than the I700 camera.

mar2k
10-12-2004, 04:17 AM
I've read reports there is no serial Bluetooth profile so you cannot use Bluetooth to sync via ActiveSync with a PC.

You have got to be freaking kidding me...the MPx220 isn't even available everywhere yet and its looking like a HUGE flop IMO. I hope I'm dead wrong and these issues can be fixed but it doesn't look good so far.

Mike Temporale
10-12-2004, 04:48 AM
I've read reports there is no serial Bluetooth profile so you cannot use Bluetooth to sync via ActiveSync with a PC.

8O This is not good. Why include Bluetooth then? :twak: It's good for more than just wireless headsets. :(

Kris Kumar
10-12-2004, 05:02 AM

You have got to be freaking kidding me...the MPx220 isn't even available everywhere yet and its looking like a HUGE flop IMO. I hope I'm dead wrong and these issues can be fixed but it doesn't look good so far.

Oh tell me it's not true. Why do carriers want to keep their customers in walled gardens?

This is another reason why I don't like camera phones. It makes the carriers greedy and hence restrictive.

So how are the photos transferred? Mail?

sullivanpt
10-12-2004, 05:29 AM
the phone has a connect via bluetooth option in activesync, but i can't try it as i have no other bt devices. :)

Jerry Raia
10-12-2004, 05:48 AM
the phone has a connect via bluetooth option in activesync, but i can't try it as i have no other bt devices. :)

That feature only works if you already have a partnership established. There is no way to establish a BT partnership with this phone that I can see. The only thing it seems to provide is Headset and DUN capabilities. So far I cant even get DUN to work as i did on my v600.

What a let down this is :(

mar2k
10-12-2004, 06:05 AM
The Bluetooth crippling on the MPx220 is a disgrace. Is this Cingular's doing, or Motorola's? The volume problem is pure lack of quality assurance testing.

Those Nokia Series 60 clamshells are looking better all the time...

Maybe the Audiovox SMT5600 will be all its cracked up to be...I just wished it was not AT&T branded...

Kris Kumar
10-12-2004, 06:23 AM
This has to be something that Cingular did to the phone.

Because if I remember correctly, Motorola during the Mobile Developer Conference back in the summer were talking how their BT implementation on the MPx220 will be superior to the native MS one. And that they will have more profiles and headset support. :?

Jerry Raia
10-12-2004, 06:24 AM
I would bet it's Cingular. They don't want people transfering files without getting a fee for it. I'll keep this phone because I'm just a gadget freak, but so far, i can't recommend it to anyone. It is the first motorola phone I have owned that came up this short.

Kris Kumar
10-12-2004, 06:31 AM
I feel that Microsoft should not let carriers cripple the phones in the name of customization. For God sake this is a Smartphone!

With MPx200, I was pretty annoyed to find that AT&T is selling 1800/1900 MPx200 when the actual model is a tri-band one. :evil:

So Bluetooth ActiveSync won't work. I currently use IR to sync my MPx200. Was hoping that I would switch to Bluetooth. :-(

What about internet access with Bluetooth? Use the phone as a modem, and Pocket PC/Laptop for surfing the net.

Since I am not a Cingular customer and don't want to switch. Maybe it makes sense for me to wait for the unbranded version to be released on the online stores. Maybe that will not be crippled.

Jerry Raia
10-12-2004, 06:44 AM
So far I can't get my iPAQ 5555 to dial out on the 220 as I did with my v600. I'm hoping its just some setting I'm missing but at this point I'm not too hopefull.

mar2k
10-12-2004, 06:46 AM
What about internet access with Bluetooth? Use the phone as a modem, and Pocket PC/Laptop for surfing the net.

Since I am not a Cingular customer and don't want to switch. Maybe it makes sense for me to wait for the unbranded version to be released on the online stores. Maybe that will not be crippled.

Without the serial profile as far as I know using the phone as a modem to surf the web is impossible. Not being able to sync via Bluetooth is a joke though.

I agree this must be Cingular's doing because as far as I know Microsoft allows ActiveSync over Bluetooth and I do remember something about Motorola saying their BT profiles were superior to the native Microsoft profiles some time ago, you are correct there.

I am VERY curious to see how the AT&T Mpx220 ROM turns out. I mean, if it allows the serial BT profile and the volume problem has disappeared, at least we know these are problems that can be fixed with a ROM update. I'm in a wait and see mode.

I agree that an unbranded, unlocked Mpx220 or Audiovox SMT5600 may be a good bet if they are available. Are there any online stores that have a good reputation for carrying non-carrier locked and unbranded phones?

sclui56
10-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Wait a minute guys! Are you saying that I cannot sync the MPx220 to a B/T-equipped PC via B/T? If that's what you are saying, then it must be a fluke as I'm sync to my PC via B/T.

The initial pairing shows DUN, then I went into A/Sync on the MPx220 & checked to sync via B/T.

Am I missing something? I don't think Cingular would pay extra to do this kind of bad-4-biz stuff, especually they had already paid for the branded customization.

http://www.fototime.com/35FA109BAE55AE7/standard.jpg

ben865
10-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Hi,

I have been using the MPx220 for about three weeks now, and it is by far the best smartphone I have used. Battery life is about 4-5 days, an dI have had no problem with low volume when talking on it. The hinge has shown no sign of being weak either.

The photos are not the best quality, nor the worst, and I will try to post some today.

regards,

Martin

Likewise. I notice you are in NZ - I'm in the UK.

I wonder if there is something different with US spec 220s?

Myke
10-12-2004, 12:13 PM
me and my friend both got MPX220s, we are both experiencing very low volume. additionally which hasnt been mentioned yet, a lot of people we talk to say we sound very quiet and muffled. when we talk to eachother on our phones, it is very, very hard to hear eachother.

additionally, the volume is so low, when im on the freeway i need to turn my speakerphone on (while still holding the phone normal, up to my ear) just to nice and clearly hear the person.

:?: :? :?:

ben865
10-12-2004, 12:20 PM
me and my friend both got MPX220s, we are both experiencing very low volume. additionally which hasnt been mentioned yet, a lot of people we talk to say we sound very quiet and muffled. when we talk to eachother on our phones, it is very, very hard to hear eachother.

additionally, the volume is so low, when im on the freeway i need to turn my speakerphone on (while still holding the phone normal, up to my ear) just to nice and clearly hear the person.

:?: :? :?:

There has to be somehing wrong somewhere!

I was in Euston station yesterday which is not quiet with the ear volume at 2/3 to 3/4 with no problems at all.

There has to bes something up with US 220s.

Has anybody outside the US got any volume issues?

PPCMD
10-12-2004, 01:04 PM
So Cingular really screwed up the ROM for the sake of some cash. Why offer BT if we can't use the power of BT. Sure having a BT headset is good but file transfer is the key and so is AS.

I know on the V710 that someone found the way to get around Verizon's crippling of BT. They claimed it was security. Tell you what let me worry about the security on MY phone since I paid for IT and I paid for the CONTRACT too.

Mike Temporale
10-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Wait a minute guys! Are you saying that I cannot sync the MPx220 to a B/T-equipped PC via B/T? If that's what you are saying, then it must be a fluke as I'm sync to my PC via B/T.

So you are able to run sync via Bluetooth? Hopefully this was just a mis-understanding. Can anyone else sync over bluetooth?

mar2k
10-12-2004, 01:28 PM
There has to bes something up with US 220s.

Has anybody outside the US got any volume issues?

Yes, this could be a ROM issue with the Cingular Mpx220, I'm curious to see if the volume is an issue for units that are released overseas and also when AT&T releases it. At least I would feel better about it if I knew that could be easily fixed with a ROM update.

This is the first I have heard of someone claiming they have been able to use AS over Bluetooth. There are many postings in various forums saying it cannot be done.

sclui56
10-12-2004, 02:21 PM
So you are able to run sync via Bluetooth? Hopefully this was just a mis-understanding. Can anyone else sync over bluetooth?

Absolutely correct!! I think someone just got frustrated with the configuration & wrote that it cannot be done, and other members read about it & repost about such a possibility. Next thing we know is anger ;)

sclui56
10-12-2004, 02:25 PM
BTW, the nice lady from Moto insisted that the earpiece volume has 7-step adjustment, can anyone confirm this? Mine is only 5-step.

ben865
10-12-2004, 02:31 PM
BTW, the nice lady from Moto insisted that the earpiece volume has 7-step adjustment, can anyone confirm this? Mine is only 5-step.

5 steps here.

sclui56
10-12-2004, 03:00 PM
5 steps here.

Thanks for the confirm. I am trying to get her to check a retail model instead of reading off specs, we shall see.....

mar2k
10-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Absolutely correct!! I think someone just got frustrated with the configuration & wrote that it cannot be done, and other members read about it & repost about such a possibility. Next thing we know is anger ;)

sclui56,

As a public service, can you post the steps for setting up AS over Bluetooth that worked for you, just so we can squash at least one nasty issue with the Mpx220?

sclui56
10-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Public Service? Now that's funny. Actually it was less problematic than my other BT A/S attempts with previous devices.

In any case, I actually already setup AS via the USB cable so a partnership existed, then when I read the post(s), I thought it would be pretty crazy for anyone to cripple the A/S service so I began by adding new devices from the 220, it saw my desktop (using Belkin) & asked for PK, exchanged PK, it saw the DUN service.

Once that's done, I just made certain that my desktop's A/S connection setting has the "allow serial cable or IR connection to this com port" checked, then I went back to the 220, opened up A/S>menu>clicked on the BT option.

It may be that most of the fuundamental seetings are in place on my system, hence made it a simplier task.

rbutler222
10-12-2004, 04:32 PM
I think the biggest problem we all lose sight of is that the 220 is a cell phone and not a camera. I would prefer to have NO camera on a phone but since they come on most of them anyway, the only viable use I can justify is to snap a quick pic when involved in an auto accident, shots taken on the spur of the moment to catch a scene I would otherwise miss, etc. I have two digitals, a Canon Elph S500 ($495.00), a Canon EOS Mark II ($4,500.00) and and a Canon EOS-3 (film), the last two have interchangeable lenses. I uses the Elph for short outings, and the others for vacations to anywhere, usually out of the US.

If I were interested in this phone my concern would be screen colors and resolution, advanced-Bluetooth capability, T9, internal antenna, extra storage, metal casing for durability, a good warranty, an excellent carrier, etc., a dependable OS (Windows Smartphone xxx, or even better Linux such as the A-780 will be, . I plan on purchasing the V3, the MPx and the A-780 and will have three phones, each of which will have it's strengths--none of which will be a camera If Canon were to make a camera and to it add cell phone features, would you not buy it because the phone was not up to par?

Personally, I am waiting for the MPx, RAZR V3 and above all the A-780.

sclui56
10-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Just a quick update, the Moto rep replied and she conceded that it was only 5 steps, oh well.

Jerry Raia
10-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Public Service? Now that's funny. Actually it was less problematic than my other BT A/S attempts with previous devices.

In any case, I actually already setup AS via the USB cable so a partnership existed, then when I read the post(s), I thought it would be pretty crazy for anyone to cripple the A/S service so I began by adding new devices from the 220, it saw my desktop (using Belkin) & asked for PK, exchanged PK, it saw the DUN service.

Once that's done, I just made certain that my desktop's A/S connection setting has the "allow serial cable or IR connection to this com port" checked, then I went back to the 220, opened up A/S>menu>clicked on the BT option.

It may be that most of the fuundamental seetings are in place on my system, hence made it a simplier task.

That is where I am stuck, DUN is there, the ports are there. The green thing turns...then gives up.

rbutler222
10-12-2004, 04:44 PM

AT&T or MOTO did the same with the V600. I have been told that the BT on that phone was a "partial BT" or "uni-directional BT" causing this very problem. The data sync'd would flow one way, but not the other. I agree- what's the point of BT if you can't use it to sync. I do use it for handsfree talking (which is great), but synchronization is with the cable and software. Fortunately, if the BT on this is also unidirectional, at least it will synch with Outlook and other MS products without messing up the data--albeit, via cable.

sclui56
10-12-2004, 04:45 PM
rbutler222

I too shoot with EOS, and have pretty much what you have, though I shoot with also an original 1D as well as the Mk2. I would also prefer NOT to have a cam on a phone as this kind of combo caused me issues when entering secured sites.

As little as I care for the cam, I cannot help but wonder why Moto went with this vendor at all, the quality really is horrible in comparison to the ones I have taken from a Treo600, Nokia 3650, SE Z600.

OTOH, I am quite happy with this 220, though I wished the earpiece volume can be fixed.

aristoBrat
10-12-2004, 05:12 PM
I think the biggest problem we all lose sight of is that the 220 is a cell phone and not a camera.
And I don't think anyone here expects the camera to be of the quality of even a $200 digital camera, but on the flipside, there's no reason for the MPx220's camera to look worse than even the cheapest camera phone on the market.

That's like BWM making a 7 series that comes with a Radio Shack car stereo...

Mike Temporale
10-12-2004, 05:46 PM

That is where I am stuck, DUN is there, the ports are there. The green thing turns...then gives up.

So you've exchanged PK's, and the green wheel is spinning. Sounds like an AS issue. Couple things...

1) Do they recommend a version of AS? you might have to upgrade to 3.7.1.

2) Check that AS is listenning on the correct COM port. Turn off USB and IR. Use just COM, and make sure it's the right one.

let us know how that works.

Jerry Raia
10-12-2004, 06:11 PM
Problem solved. Partially my stupidity. I tried it with my laptop and it worked. My laptop uses a linksys BT dongle. My PC uses....The MS BT Dongle....

It is the new one that came with the new KB and Mouse and does infact work with my IPAQ for BT activesync. However I think the problem is rooted in a limitation of the MS BT dongle. I will keep experimenting and let you know.

Apologies about the false alarm :oops:

Mike Temporale
10-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Problem solved. ...Apologies about the false alarm :oops:

No worries. Glad we solved that. Now, anyone want to try modem connection over Bluetooth to the MPx220 ??

sclui56
10-12-2004, 06:49 PM
That's like BWM making a 7 series that comes with a Radio Shack car stereo...

No R/S, just that darn CE O/S ;) I can joke about it as I watched my wife struggling w/ the i-drive. Glad someone else licked the B/T A/S issue, I may give DUN a spin when I have time but this doesn't falls into "my" category of necessity, just mine, ok?

sullivanpt
10-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Now that we've put the nail in the no AS B/T rumor. How about some battery life discussion?

I had a bad experience last night. Left work with the phone fully charged, played with it all evening of course! :D When I went to bed it was over half charged.

When I awoke, the batteru was dead. :cry:

The last program I had running was Media Player, I paused playback and hit the home screen button before closing the phone. My experience on a PPC is that media player frequently hangs out in the background eating batteries. I'll try a similar experiment tonight but avoid the Media Player.

Jerry Raia
10-12-2004, 10:57 PM
No worries. Glad we solved that. Now, anyone want to try modem connection over Bluetooth to the MPx220 ??

I'm struggling with that one now myself. I have my iPAQ paired to the 220, the iPAQ looks llike its connecting and trying to dial but the phone does nothing. Eventually the iPAQ times out. Is this what others are seeing?

sullivanpt
10-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Just so everyone knows, the manual specifically says that the modem function can be used with IR and with USB connections. No mention is made of B/T.

Jerry Raia
10-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Just so everyone knows, the manual specifically says that the modem function can be used with IR and with USB connections. No mention is made of B/T.

Quite right. It also said the same thing about active sync and as I found out (:oops: <-- embarrassed look) it can be done. Lets hope the same is true for this issue.

Mike Temporale
10-13-2004, 01:57 AM
I don't know anything about using your phone as a modem over bluetooth to connect to the internet... But, have you looked at Jason's post about what he had to do to get his C500 working? It might help.

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6290

mar2k
10-13-2004, 06:21 AM
I'm currently slumming with a Motorola v220 phone.

Others have said the earpiece volume on the v220 is quite low but its never been a problem for me. Anyone ever use a v220 and the new Mpx220 to be able to compare? Maybe the Mpx220 would seem OK to me based on my experience with the v220.

sclui56
10-13-2004, 08:50 AM
If you feel the EARPIECE Vol is inadequate on the MPx220....

Please email Moto, they do respond

mar2k
10-13-2004, 02:38 PM
If you feel the EARPIECE Vol is inadequate on the MPx220....

Please email Moto, they do respond

So did they respond about a fix, or just send you a generic "feel good" template email?

sclui56
10-13-2004, 03:13 PM
Well, it wasn't too much of a "bot" response, they at first thought the earpiece has 7 settings but they conceded when I wrote back. They did ask me to either have the phone to check out or exchange it at the store. My sense is that they may not be getting enough feedback at this time, hence my original request for users to contact MOT.

The short answer for now - there's no fix because in order to have one, a problem has to be recognized first.

Jerry Raia
10-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Just sent them an email on the volume issue. Ill post what I get back.

sedanpilot
10-13-2004, 04:41 PM
Now that we've put the nail in the no AS B/T rumor. How about some battery life discussion?

I had a bad experience last night. Left work with the phone fully charged, played with it all evening of course! :D When I went to bed it was over half charged.

When I awoke, the batteru was dead. :cry:

The last program I had running was Media Player, I paused playback and hit the home screen button before closing the phone. My experience on a PPC is that media player frequently hangs out in the background eating batteries. I'll try a similar experiment tonight but avoid the Media Player.

My 200 does the same thing, leave MP running in the background and the battery doesn't last long...

Jerry Raia
10-13-2004, 05:28 PM
If I might throw a bright spot on all of this, the mini SD cards are quite inexpensive. I got a 256 for $50. :D

In addition (this was a suprise to me anyway) the card comes with an adaptor so you can use it in a regular SD card slot.

PPCMD
10-13-2004, 06:00 PM
The transflash card for my V710 came with one too which makes the whole BT transfer issue a non issue, with my hx4700 that is.

Jerry Raia
10-13-2004, 08:17 PM
The transflash card for my V710 came with one too which makes the whole BT transfer issue a non issue, with my hx4700 that is.

True unless you want to send a file to another phone, it is much easier when BT isnt crippled.

sclui56
10-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Battery Life

Well, battery life has been great for several days, that's up until NOW. I came home last night, hooked up the phone via USB to my desktop (it's been charging that way since day 1), let it sit and now just glanced over as I heard a beep, message said the battery is critically low and proceeded to shut down.

I removed & reinserted the USB sync cable, and it started charging, now I'm looking at a very animated charging display. Don;t know what happened.

PPCMD
10-13-2004, 10:19 PM

True unless you want to send a file to another phone, it is much easier when BT isnt crippled.

Very true and I should have commented on that as well. Unfortunately for me most of the folks I know don't have BT and could care less about it except for me. So I can live with the transfer thing but the camera sucks anyways so why bother taking pics at all.

Jerry Raia
10-14-2004, 06:53 AM
Has anyone tried the voice recognition software on this phone? It doesnt seem to work at all. Its supposed to give audio feedback but I dont hear anything.

Is there anything about this phone that is good? What a piece of junk.

sclui56
10-14-2004, 07:37 AM
Lasher

While I understand there are issues surrounding the 220, it is far away from what I would call a "POJ". Once again I was prompted by your message to see for myself if voice command works or not (really haven;t used it till I read the post), well, mine works fine, with audio prompt.

How about some background info on your setting? Did you turn off the prompts in the setting?

Jerry Raia
10-14-2004, 07:50 AM
You know you are right this isnt a POJ. Its just more frustrating than other Motorolas I have owned. Even my i600 is better behaved ;)

The voice program works, I had messed something else up, thats twice this phone has left me with egg on my face :lol:

sclui56
10-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Lasher

Am glad you got this sorted out, we are all learning the new toy right now, but I still want to hunt down the issues causing my battery drain while it was connected to my desktop via the sync cable.

As far as being the most problem for a MOT, try this for size, my wife's BMW came with a V60, it took BMW NA an eternity to release a GSM unit (by then the v60 was already EOL), while this puppy is unlocked, the minute I switched her over to TMo, the darn phone stopped interfacing with the car. To add insult to injury, I was told that BMW hasn't worked out a solution in having both navigation & BT coexist even I wanted to get the BT.

james840a
10-14-2004, 06:44 PM
Anyone with the Mpx220. how is the earpeace volumn? im looking at getting a new phone and want to stay in the motorola family, since i have lots of power adapters and that. I know the V400 earpeace volumn sucks, tried 2 of them and samething. My best buy store near me does not have them in yet but will in couple days if not today.

Any and all info is thanks.

James

sullivanpt
10-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Update on my battery issue. (Remember I had it die overnight on a 3/4 full charge previously). I have been avoiding Windows Media Player and have been receiving great battery life. I'm not yet willing to say "the short battery life issue I had was MP's fault" but another week of testing and I shall.

FYI: On voice recognition, the "voice signal" program is phenomenol. I have 405 contacts, it gets it right 90% of the time.

FYI: On volume. the volume is a little anemic, but not horrid. The maximum earpiece volume is acceptable for me to hear the conversation on a sidewalk beside a busy 4 lane street (not enough when the firetruck goes by! :D ) The speakerphone volume is louder still (not loud enough for a moving convertible though).

sclui56
10-14-2004, 08:28 PM
sullivanpt

Re Battery - mine drain to critical overnight while attached to my desktop (hot USB port), I still can;t really isolate exactly what happened but I ran WM that evening. As a matter of habbit, before I sleep I always run the CLOSE ALL from xBar2, still puzzled....

windmiller
10-15-2004, 04:35 AM
Wow, alot of crying wolf around on this thread...but I guess thats part of a release..........after hearing that Cingular might be releasing the HTC Blue Angel...I am going to wait...and

I called the Cingular Rep at Best Buy and asked them if I could return the MPX 220 if I didnt like it due to Volume issues, etc...sounds like they have to give approval...anyone know what is up with BESt BUY Cingular return Policies

sullivanpt
10-15-2004, 10:21 PM
I traded to this MPx220 from the Pocket PC Phone (original XDA) I had for two years. I am really enjoying the switch and have no regrets about the hardware! Volume is as good as the XDA was (I wish it were louder). Battery life has been adequate (with one exception, probably related to media player). There's no long waits at menus. I haven't had to reboot it even once yet.

Based on my experience so far, I have no problem recommending this phone.

The actual Windows Smartpgone applications on it I do have some complaints about, but they have nothing to do with the MPx220. Why isn't Outlook Notes included?! Why are repeating appointments so poorly supported?! What's with the brain dead priority scheme for showing the next appointment on the home screen plug-in?! But since these issues aren't MPx specific, they probably belong in another thread.

edh72
10-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Just picked mine up from BB - pretty cool little gadget.

In the hour I've had it, it did get itself into a funky state once (frozen incoming call screen) , but finally went back to normal. I hope this was just a fluke.

I *really* need the voice-dial via bluetooth (my V600 has spoiled me) and have been playing around with some 3rd part apps. So far no luck. If anyone else hast had any luck with the this, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Ed

windmiller
10-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Edh72,

Its good to hear people recommend the phone, I am kind of torn between the two. 600.00 for the XDAIII is alot of money. I second that if anyone finds a 3rd party app that alloughs voice dial please let us know.

Myke
10-16-2004, 11:26 PM
i would strongly not reccomend this phone. my friend got it too and would not reccomend it either. at least not yet. wait a bit to see if they fix the major volume issues.

i am officially turning speakerphone on every time I make or recieve phone calls. and this is just to hear the person while holding the phone normal, not using it as a speakerphone. its a strain and nearly impossible to hear them without speakerphone on (i turn it on about 2 notches up).

it took about a week to finally give in and admit this. me and my friend have been waiting about a year for this thing. we rushed to best buy the second it was released and both got one. we tried so hard to like it. its hard not to like, its got such fantastic features. great features but a defective speaker and mic. You cant hear your calls and your calls are always saying "I cant hear you!!". It loses its appeal fast.

i never thought id be saying this, but dont buy the mpx220 untill they officially announce they have fixed these problems.

Jerry Raia
10-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Perhaps related a bit to the battery life question, there doesnt seem to be a way to adjust the brightness of the internal or external display.

sullivanpt
10-18-2004, 03:51 AM
myke,

the volume is not anywhere as low as your unit. Did you remove the plastic wrap scratch guard that comes over the screen? ISame thing on the speaker phone side.

the volume on my phone is lower than i'd like, but veru nuseable. I ven have to turn it down occassionally (rarely).

james840a
10-18-2004, 04:44 AM
I got mine on saturday. So far i played with the camera, witch is ok, good enough for picture id. Ill use my Eos 10D for all the good pictures ;) I was able to link my sony ericsson bluetooth head set (old model) to my MPx220. I think ill get a new one from motorola. The ear peace voice is the same as my V60 so its ok with me, no proplem with mine. I just LOVE the voice dail on the phone. Dont have to program the voices for each person. I have not tried the sync with bluetooth since i dont have a usb bluetooth adaptor yet. (future buy) The flip hinge is really good, doesnt move at all unlike my v60. There are alot of clear plastic protection all over the phone so got to look for them, example, one on the M logos, IR to name a few. Will this is my first smartphone and i am happy with it. It is close to the size of my v60 witch i like. I really like my new phone.

James

Jerry Raia
10-18-2004, 04:47 AM
I was finding those little plastic things for days :lol:

Kris Kumar
10-18-2004, 04:53 AM
I was finding those little plastic things for days :lol:

Looks like Motorola cling wrapped the speaker on the phone. That explains the low volume.
:rotfl:

Jerry Raia
10-18-2004, 05:32 AM
Well I had hoped for that, so I picked at the ear piece for hours :lol:

refnulf
10-18-2004, 09:13 AM
So is it safe to buy then?

james840a
10-18-2004, 06:24 PM
Its up to the individual person if they what to get one or not. Id check it out for yourself. I have been readiing that some people dont like it and some do. For me i like it.

James

sullivanpt
10-19-2004, 06:17 AM
Interestingly, I got gprs over bluetooth to work first try. But Active Sync over blue tooth eludes me. it's probably this old Anycom CC43041 CF card I am using.

mwakefield
10-19-2004, 07:21 AM
Problem solved. ...Apologies about the false alarm :oops:

I've tried to do this using my Apple Powerbook G4. It recognizes the MPx220 but I am unable to get it to connect. It will dial but will not connect. I'm thinking that I don't know what the APN number is for the GPRS connection on the MPx200. On my T610 I use this dialing string "*99***2#" The GPRS connection is #2 on the T610 handset.

Anyone have any clues on this?

sullivanpt
10-19-2004, 03:56 PM
oops! I uninstalled bluetooth after playing with it (it wasn't my card), i'll re-install tonight and copy down the GPRS settings. I definitely remember 99 was part of the string. It also wanted my ISP providers point (internet2.voicestream.net for TMobile).

Kris Kumar
10-19-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm thinking that I don't know what the APN number is for the GPRS connection on the MPx200. On my T610 I use this dialing string "*99***2#" The GPRS connection is #2 on the T610 handset.

Anyone have any clues on this?

I would recommend trying *99#, that I believe makes it use the default connection. (works for me on T-Mobile, using MPx200)

Also in the Settings->Data Connection: Instead of Automatic for Internet, select the profile that you know works. This way you can be sure that the so called default connection always defaults to the working one. ;-)

Kris Kumar
10-19-2004, 04:17 PM
oops! I uninstalled bluetooth after playing with it (it wasn't my card), i'll re-install tonight and copy down the GPRS settings. I definitely remember 99 was part of the string. It also wanted my ISP providers point (internet2.voicestream.net for TMobile).

I believe you meant internet2.voicestream.COM :-)
Not sure if the .net address works or not. Mine has .com in it. Just checking.

sclui56
10-19-2004, 06:51 PM
I just tried dial up over BT and it worked the first time. I'm on the $9.99 TZone plan so you need to substitute whatever APN you use:

+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com","",0,0
Dial *99#

sullivanpt
10-19-2004, 07:40 PM

I believe you meant internet2.voicestream.COM :-)
Not sure if the .net address works or not. Mine has .com in it. Just checking.

yup, .com sorry.

yup, *99# is what the anycom BT wizard used.

lurch
10-20-2004, 04:48 AM
For the 2nd time today I've had to remove the battery to get it to shut down. When I hit the power button for the quick-menu, and select "shut down" (or whatever it says), the screen turns off, but the backlight of the keypad stays on. And when I press buttons I hear the "click" sound. Earlier today it was in this state and it actually started speaking chinese or something out of the speaker (I'm not kidding!!) and finally it said something in english, but I don't remember it at this moment.

Then it did it again tonight, but I didn't wait long enough for my chinese lesson, I just removed the battery. Then I started it up, and shut it down, and it shut down with no problems.

Has anybody else come across this? Oh, and the other night I left it on, but plugged in (via the USB cable) and I too had a dead battery in the morning. BUT, we had a brown-out at about 11 at night, so maybe that contributed? My computer did reset itself.
Anyway...

Jerry Raia
10-20-2004, 05:47 AM
So far I have no complaints about the battery with this phone, and I am a heavy internet user. Are you leaving it plugged into usb with no charger attached?

lurch
10-20-2004, 06:34 PM
So far I have no complaints about the battery with this phone, and I am a heavy internet user. Are you leaving it plugged into usb with no charger attached?
If you were asking me, the time it died on me I believe I had WMP running in the background (it's a slippery bugger). Also I had it the USB cable plugged into a powered USB hub, not an unpowered one, so there was more power available than just the feed from the computer. It was bizarre.

sclui56
10-20-2004, 06:50 PM
lurch

It happened to me under similar situation, the ONLY difference was that I already terminated WM using xBar2, but there may still be some background WM-related processing.

lurch
10-20-2004, 10:02 PM
I'm returning my phone today... well, return is a strong word, I'm exchanging it. In the past 24 hours I've shut it down about 3 times, and 2 of the three it froze up. The time it didn't was just after restarting it (from a freeze) I shut it down to test it.

Since no one else has reported this, I'm assuming it's a defective phone. :( At least best buy has decent return/exchange policies.

Jerry Raia
10-24-2004, 05:16 AM
I'm returning my phone today... well, return is a strong word, I'm exchanging it. In the past 24 hours I've shut it down about 3 times, and 2 of the three it froze up. The time it didn't was just after restarting it (from a freeze) I shut it down to test it.

Since no one else has reported this, I'm assuming it's a defective phone. :( At least best buy has decent return/exchange policies.

Any luck with the new one? I guess i am now having a strange battery issue. When the phone is powered on and plugged into a charger, the icon switches to "battery" like the phone isnt plugged in

lurch
10-24-2004, 10:55 PM
Any luck with the new one? I guess i am now having a strange battery issue. When the phone is powered on and plugged into a charger, the icon switches to "battery" like the phone isnt plugged in

I exchanged the first one, and had the same problem with the second one. So I checked a bunch of places, found no one else with the same problem, called Motorola and got the standard "there are no bugs with that phone, it must be a bad batch of phones". So I returned it for good and am now back to my little bitty Nokia 6590i. I went through two phones in the space of 7 days! I decided to wait for a few months so that a) they can fix phone problems and start selling fixed products, and b) I am eligible for the cingular plan extension so I can save $150.

Thanks for asking! Oh, and I had that happen to me a few times (battery icon when plugged in) and most times it was because I didn't have the plug in correctly, when I fiddled with it I would find it would go further, or move a little and then snap in place and work fine.

PPCMD
10-24-2004, 10:57 PM
I had a few hang ups when powering on/off but nothing major. My miniSD card didn't arrive when it was supposed to so my MPX220 went back before I could do too much with it. Now I have to wait for the official launch.

Kris Kumar
11-01-2004, 06:59 AM
FYI...

Finally managed to get the DUN working on my Pocket PC. I used my Pocket PC to connect to internet using the MPx220 over BT.

Key Points
- Dialed *99#
- Baud Rate 38400 (the default of 19200 didn't work :? )

CDEdwards
11-10-2004, 06:54 PM
I owned the MPx220 for nearly a week. I noticed several problems.

1) The worst that nobody has mentioned here, is that the miniSD card would not remain secured in the phone. There is no locking mechanism to hold the card in place, other than a flimsy plastic door, that kept popping open when I had a miniSD card inserted. That may sound trivial, but it caused my phone to randomly lockup and sometimes power itself off. I'm guessing this is a design flaw, as I tested multiple phones at the local BestBuy and each displayed the same problem.

2) I can also confirm that the ear piece volume is an issue, the speakerphone seemed good though. The sound effects and ring tones sounded clear, but when talking on the phone, I frequently tried to increase the ear piece volume, only to find it was already maxed out.

3) I was really excited to discover that the MPx220 not only supported MP3 ringtones, but also supported WMA (Windows Media) ringtones. Unfortunately, I had to insert a 250ms delay in any ringtone I wanted to use to avoid a playback flaw, I'm not sure if that only applied to WMA files though. I suspect it applies to other formats as well, since I noticed a few of the provided ringtones also appeared to have a startup delay in them. The custom rings I generated were not very large either, varying from 5 to about 16 seconds or so.

4) The external LCD was very fuzzy and the white text made it difficult to view except with a dark background image.

I'm a software developer, so I wanted to purchase this phone to practice writing some real world SmartPhone apps. I guess that I'll just have to wait though, as Cingular is the only carrier of SmartPhones in my area, and I don't want to break the bank to buy a SmartPhone without the activation rebates.

Jerry Raia
11-10-2004, 07:07 PM
The issue you brought up about the SD card poping out is the first I have heard of that. I have the 220 and if anything I have to fight to get that mini SD out. You might have had a defective locking mechanism.

The rest of your points are sadly true. However I still like the phone even with those shortcomings.

Kris Kumar
11-10-2004, 07:17 PM
CDEdwards, I believe you returned the phone. Which is a good thing. Because I have had the phone for 3 weeks and I agree with Jerry, that I have to fight to get the thing out.

External screen: lots of things are bad. It timeout, only white text - so forced to use dark wallpapers. They should have stuck with the mono screen.

Jerry Raia
11-10-2004, 07:35 PM
External screen: lots of things are bad. It timeout, only white text - so forced to use dark wallpapers. They should have stuck with the mono screen.

Even though the external LCD is bad (it's bad on my v710 also), I would have missed the external caller ID picture had they gone with a mono screen.

Kris Kumar
11-10-2004, 08:05 PM
I would have missed the external caller ID picture had they gone with a mono screen.

I want to disable PhotoId all together on my MPx220. :-) I noticed that is running as a separate app. I want to remove it so that my MPx220 has more RAM to work with. I will not miss PhotoId on the external or internal screen.

CDEdwards
11-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Hey from what you guys are telling me, I'm betting that Motorola either added a spring, or increased the tension on the spring of the miniSD slot, overcompensating for the difficulty in removing the miniSD card you guys are seeing. I would have likely kept mine if I had gotten the version you guys have, since I doubt I would remove the miniSD card often. :x Grrr... You'd think that delaying the phone for 2 quarters would have given them enough time to work out the bugs...

james840a
11-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Regarding that MiniSD Only two possibelites 1. User error, there is trick and the best way is to use a pen or styles to push the card into the phone. and it should lock. 2. the phone is defective.

I have the MPx220 and miniSD and it went in and lock no proplems, just had to use a styles to push it in.

I must be the only one that really doesnt have any proplems with my phone.

Jerry Raia
11-10-2004, 10:00 PM
I would have missed the external caller ID picture had they gone with a mono screen.

I want to disable PhotoId all together on my MPx220. :-) I noticed that is running as a separate app. I want to remove it so that my MPx220 has more RAM to work with. I will not miss PhotoId on the external or internal screen.

I wonder if there is a way take it out of the registry so it won't start.

Kris Kumar
11-10-2004, 11:20 PM
I believe the \Storage\Windows\Startup folder has a link or.lnk file for the PhotoId. I will have to delete that. I havent gotten around to doing it.

I want to hard-reset and reinstall the apps. When I am ready for the hard-reset, I will try out this step.

Jerry Raia
11-10-2004, 11:35 PM
I'll be curious to see how much resource it frees up.

Edinhp
11-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Purchased Mpx 220 at Best Buy, Chgo. IL. last week. Worked with phone for three days. I must say except for the short fall of volume, it is the best "smartphone" I have owned (had three in past). However, it is on it's way back to Motorola. Ear volume was terrible along with ring volume. Both set to max. and still was not near satisfactory. Also microphone volume complaints from callers that said they had hard time hearing me. I am suppose to get it back in 12-14 days.....I won't hold my breath. Upon speaking with Motorola Rep. they denied knowledge of all these complaints about the phone. I will re-post when I receive it back.

Xevious
11-12-2004, 12:39 AM
NO PROOF HUH?

On both of the 220's (his&hers) I bought, the camera app scrambles pics if the bluetooth is on & the res is set to 1280x960! If you close the lid then they come out fine... How did these things leave the factory with a problem that obvious?

Jerry Raia
11-12-2004, 12:50 AM
One man's problems are another man's features :D

Ducks Fast...... :splat:

aristoBrat
11-12-2004, 01:58 AM
How did these things leave the factory with a problem that obvious?
In boxes.

[ducks behind Jerry]

sclui56
11-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Some of you may know that my 220 is also with Moto's NSC in TX, and in the meantime, I am just dying to find out if the 5600 is indeed that much better (I know my Voq is better, but it doesn't have camera nor B/T), I figured the 220 & 5600 would not be like comparing apples to oranges, and especially they both are built in Taiwan running similar O/S.

Well, I p/u a 5600 yesterday from ATT, before the wife had a chance to question me how many handsets do I really "need", I had it unlocked, loaded up comparable apps & data on the 5600 and I have to agree with those in the 5600 camp - it's a strong performer and I think HTC has all the pieces in place.

The in-call volume is GREAT, no issue there as it should, it's a darn phone after all. Camera takes much better pix even at the VGA resolution, though I am neutral with this feature. And the speakerphone sounds a lot better and more solid than my 220, i.e. nothing is vibrating except the voice coil. All in all the 5600 is a solid unit.

Would I have bought the 220 if I already owned the 5600? Probably yes once they have figured out the issues (at least the volume issues), why? b/c I'm nuts and still think the 220 is a fairly decent package.

The only thing is the action button arrangement, I think the SP3i more solid joystick approach is better, just because of the ridge on the action button of the 5600, it takes some practice in making a straight downward push.

cortez
11-13-2004, 08:05 AM
has anyone been able to validate this "new rumor" (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=4060603#post4060603)? i'm going to visit a couple of Best Buy's and inquire about the possibility of exchanges...

Kris Kumar
11-13-2004, 05:17 PM
has anyone been able to validate this "new rumor" (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=4060603#post4060603)? i'm going to visit a couple of Best Buy's and inquire about the possibility of exchanges...

Thanks for pointing it out, I will see if I can stop by at the local Best Buy and confirm it.

But I would like to add that, its about time that Best Buy/Moto/Cingular got their act straight. MPx220 is a good product but the kind of negative publicity (rightfully) it has been raking in will put them in a bad spot.

sclui56
11-13-2004, 05:49 PM
I'll be @ BB today to check on it today as well, they have this young lady at the store wherer I bought miine, no more than 21 or 22, but she's pretty forthcoming with info.

OTOH, since there are reports that some of the newer units are SIM locked, and the rumor floating around that Cingular may have started locking their phones in Nov., is it possible that the exchanged phone may be locked? If so, then that would be a bad thing as some of us including myself are using a different network. If that's the case, at best we'll have to pay $ to unlock if someone can do so, at worst we may get a locked unit..... ummm. Well, note to self - stop thinking too much, just cross the bridge when it's time.

As for me, if my unit comes back fine from Moto, I'll just leave it at that. Should know later today....

darkmirror
11-13-2004, 06:01 PM
I just heard that Best Buy was sending back all of their MPX 220's back to Motorola in order to have the phones reflashed. No word on what that means to those that already have the phone.

Kris Kumar
11-13-2004, 07:09 PM
I have made this recall/upgrade story a front page item. Please discuss this story here....
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=44780

Thanks cortez

cortez
11-13-2004, 09:46 PM
let's give dss2 on HoFo credit for the post regarding the Best Buy recall... not a bad result for his/her first forum post...

Kris Kumar
11-13-2004, 10:26 PM
let's give dss2 on HoFo credit for the post regarding the Best Buy recall... not a bad result for his/her first forum post...

Absolutely. Thanks for pointing it out. :oops:

jbhale
11-29-2004, 05:11 AM
:evil: :evil: :evil: I'm so upset that i got suckered into buying this mpx220 phone i hate it. whats wrong with it you ask? well where do i begin. first of all and probably the worst thing for me is the reception (thats why i wanted to upgrade from my t721) then all of the great features it comes with like outlook and calender sync with my pc doesn't even work right. it came with the software and usb cable, but it just says that there is a problem. lets talk about the camera and video. :evil: HORRIBLE!!! the worst i've seen in a long time. and the flash is a joke too, it works fine at about 18 inches away from the target during the day. but other than ALL of that its a great phone :roll: but hey for $350 it LOOKS real impressive. i will be terminating my contract, and returning the thing to "worstbuy" on Monday morning. feel free to email me if you want sample pic. [email protected]

PPCMD
11-29-2004, 01:41 PM
I guess you didn't read all of the reviews and comments regarding the firmware fixes that Moto has done and Cingular has yet to launch. Return it and move on. I returned mine after the initial launch due to the volume and mic issues, BUT, will get one as soon as Cingular launches it with the FW 1.30. You really should contact Cingular XBM (if you are a cingular customer) and get the updated FW on a new phone. Then maybe you will find out that it is alot better.

Jerry Raia
11-29-2004, 01:45 PM
The problem is when you call them they don't seem to have a clue what version you will get back from them. So far that has been my experience. I'll be trying later on today.....again.

PPCMD
11-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Agreed. I guess thats why I have been waiting for to formally launch it so that the phones in the store are FW1.30 but its getting tiresome and old waiting for Cingular to get this to the Cingular stores. Obviously XMB has some level of stock on FW 1.30 the question is what level.

Jerry Raia
11-29-2004, 09:45 PM
My next replacement 220 is on the way. This time there was some knowledge of version numbers on the other end of the phone at Cingular. All he could tell me was the replacement versions are 342 and above.

It will be here tomorrow so we shall see what I get

PPCMD
11-30-2004, 01:27 AM
I just want to know when the Cingular stores will actually get the product with FW 1.3 and if XBM is taking up all of the inventory just to fix the BB/Moto screw up. I would like this phone but I am not a Cingular customer and I really don't want to waste time arguing with a CSR over a replacement when I just get started with them.

james840a
11-30-2004, 05:45 PM
NEWS UPDATE

I just got my MPx220 replacement lastnight via UPS from Cingular. And lo and behold it has the ROM update 1.30.0.0 on it. YEPPY

What a big difference, like night and day

Read my post in the other sections under MPX220 about my compairison on the phone.

Mike Temporale
11-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Read my post in the other sections under MPX220 about my compairison on the phone.

Here's the link for everyone:

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=45825#45825

james840a
11-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Thanks Mike

Jerry Raia
12-01-2004, 01:36 AM
Cingular just sent me 1.30.0.0. :multi:

Kris Kumar
12-01-2004, 01:58 AM
Cingular just sent me 1.30.0.0. :multi:

Lucky you. :way to go:

Jerry Raia
12-01-2004, 05:26 AM
Maybe not so lucky. Quite a few programs I like arent working on this ROM.

Resco Picture Viewer crashes
Resco Task Manager won't even start

I get invalid certificate errors installing programs like PHM registry editor that I never got before,

There are other errors but I haven't sorted them all out yet.

PPCMD
12-02-2004, 04:35 AM
Resco had better work since I have those apps too. Hope to get mine in the next couple days and the I will give it a shot, load an app or two give it an HR and start the real loading.

Jerry Raia
12-02-2004, 04:42 AM
Update:
I had those programs installed on the mini SD card. I was reinstalling them on top of the original installations. I reformatted my SD card, reinstalled and everything works fine now. Perhaps the reformat was overkill. Just deleting all the old program files and folders should be enough.

james840a
12-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Good news Jerry, im glad it works fine now. I dont have anything on my miniSD yet, but this is good to now

PPCMD
12-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Good to know, thanks Jerry I feel better now. I will put some apps on the mini SD but the memory isn't that bad so it should be ok.

Jerry Raia
12-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Glad to help :)
Thats what they pay me for........
Wait a sec, they aren't paying me!!!!!

Hey Mike? What about that??? :lol:

Mike Temporale
12-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Sure! As soon as I get paid, you'll get paid. :lol: :wink:

PPCMD
12-03-2004, 01:27 AM
Sounds like caddyshack to me.