View Full Version : MPx220 Now Available From Best Buy & Cingular

Mike Temporale
10-08-2004, 06:30 PM
We just received word that the Motorola MPx220 is officially in stores now. Best Buy is selling Cingular branded version for $349.99 with a contract or $499.99 without a contract. It is also worth mentioning that they are unlocked devices.I can't confirm this, and there is nothing on their website. Anyone want to run out to their local Best Buy and check for us? :)<b>Update:</b> It looks to be official. There are a number of posts reporting which stores have them in stock. :rock on dude!: If you're local Best Buy has them, please post and let the rest of the readers know. 8)

hodgear
10-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Can people report in the store location as they get them? I know people in CA have them. I don't think they've made it east yet.

JoshB
10-08-2004, 07:32 PM
I'll check out stores in the Portland area this weekend. Cingular doesn't have a presence in Oregon at all, though, so I don't expect much.

I have to wait until it becomes available at CompUSA - I have a replacement plan on my MPX200 there, so I'll be able to get credit towards the MPX220. But this is great news that it's finally becoming available!

Also, it's awesome that they're unlocked! Any idea if this is a Cingular-only thing, or if the ATTWS version will be unlocked, too? I'll likely get the ATTWS version from CompUSA, but I'm on T-Mobile, and I was planning on having to unlock it. It would be great if I didn't have to bother with that extra step.

JoshB

lurch
10-08-2004, 07:36 PM
I just got off the phone with my local Best Buy (Indianapolis, IN) -- and while it was more encouraging than my last visit ("I have no idea what you're talking about."), all I received was a "Oh, THAT phone, no, we don't have it in stock yet, and we have no specifics regarding the date it will be in stock." -- but the indication was it would be in stock at some point...

:(

If someone who has one at their local store will PM me, I'd be interested in buying it "remotely" :)

Have I mentioned to anyone that I sold my beloved pocket pc and assorted gadgets about 2+ months ago so I could get this phone? Anybody wonder why I'm so anxious!??!? 8O

hodgear
10-08-2004, 07:39 PM
I'd do a remote purchase as well. I am also in Indianapolis so PM me if you see them anywhere.

Bushrod
10-08-2004, 07:45 PM
I'll be checking my local Best Buy in a couple hours. I'll let you know.

lurch
10-08-2004, 07:52 PM
I'd do a remote purchase as well. I am also in Indianapolis so PM me if you see them anywhere.
Maybe we can go together with the same person and save on shipping 8)

hodgear
10-08-2004, 07:56 PM
That's fine. I think they must be coming out of Asia and they haven't made it east yet. I even called St. Louis and they didnt have any. Where is their midwest warehouse?

Kris Kumar
10-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Inspite of the headache I have, I am so excited by this news that I called two stores Rochester, NY and Syracuse, NY: both do not have the phone and have no idea. :-( But they know that it is a PDA phone. :-)

Update: These stores are in upstate NY.

Kris Kumar
10-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Buffalo, NY: Some time next week. Priced around $350. No idea about rebates or contract conditions.

Mike Temporale
10-08-2004, 08:18 PM
msmobiles.com (http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3151.html) has a story that claims Best Buy @ San Marcos, California(North County San Diego) has them.

ChrisL
10-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Called the Best buy here in Metro NY. Wireless rep knew the phone and advised it would be another month before hitting our area. :(

Gee, I wonder if Celluloco will come off their $2,484 price tag now!!! 8O

sclui56
10-08-2004, 09:06 PM
P/U mine in Woodland Hills this morning, looks like the "left" coast has them ;)

Jason Lee
10-08-2004, 09:48 PM
I'll check at the Best Buy in Springfield MO... LOL like they are gonna have it. But if they do I'll let you know. :wink:

lurch
10-08-2004, 10:08 PM
I just got off the phone with this best buy:

Thousand Oaks CA (Store 112)
Village Square
390 N. Moorpark Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Phone: 805-494-8370

And they do have it in stock (they've had it since yesterday). The price is as advertised, but I didn't ask if they'll ship it :) My wife and I decided to (ouch) take the hit of a 2 year agreement (since we've never had a problem with Cingular) and save the $150.

Or does anybody know how the contract extension works? Is it a mail-in rebate? Could I order one from CA and mail in the $150 rebate after I activate online?

lurch
10-08-2004, 10:15 PM
I'm on the phone with Cingular and they're getting 12,000 in stock on the 14th of October. The nice customer service lady (see, I've never had a problem) is going to call me back the instant they've got them in stock in the warehouse.

lurch
10-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Indianapolis, IN will have them available sometime on sunday (10th).

And now I really need to get back to work. :?

hodgear
10-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Lurch, how did you find that out and which store?

kagayaki1
10-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Tukwila, WA (south Seattle): No phone yet, no displays, nothing. Manager of department says he is not expecting it until October 15.

lurch
10-08-2004, 11:59 PM
Lurch, how did you find that out and which store?
I usually go to the Castleton Best Buy, and they're the ones that had little to no clue. But I had a thought and called the one on W. 38th st. (close to my work) and they had WAY more of a clue. The lady said there's a tag out for it, but they don't have any in stock, it'll be there Sunday (she might've said "probably", but I was too excited to care) :)

Bushrod
10-09-2004, 12:00 AM
Best Buy in the Potomac Yards Shopping Center in Alexandria/Arlington, Virginia does not have them. The person I talked to had never heard of it, either.

Mike Temporale
10-09-2004, 01:52 AM
Removed Post :oops: - Argh, sorry.... It appears I'm having problems reading tonight. Please ignore me. :lol:

PPCMD
10-09-2004, 01:58 AM
I stopped in to the Syracuse NY store tonight as well and no stock, no display, none in transit and noe at the distribution center either. They did say they could try and order it from another store but I feel the stores who have it won't give them up and my store won't be bothered to ship it. I could get it elsewhere by that time.

hodgear
10-09-2004, 02:20 AM
Lurch, I find Caslteton to be clueless about most things. The guy at Carmel knew what he was talking about and showed me the inventory system. I hope you are right about Sunday.

Fitch
10-09-2004, 02:29 AM
The nice customer service lady (see, I've never had a problem) is going to call me back

With Cingular? Sure! When they get something from you it's no problem. Now wait until you want something from them. :wink: (I'm mostly just kidding, I'm sure there are plenty of folks with good experiences. In fact, I'm jealous of those of you who've been lucky enough to avoid it, and are biting on this awesome phone)

mar2k
10-09-2004, 04:40 AM
Will Best Buy sell me the phone for $349 if I can show I already have service with Cingular, or does that matter? In other words will they force me into a new contract to buy at that price or does that apply to non-Cingular customers.

Anyone know for sure?

HailFire
10-09-2004, 05:22 AM
I picked up an mpx220 today from the Best Buy in Emeryville, CA, near Berkeley. As soon as I entered the store, I made a bee-line for the cell phones and found another gentleman having his new mpx220 activated on Cingular. They said they were having problems activating it. I told them I needed one with no contract so an employee walked me and the new phone to the front counter. Now, here's the clutch: when I paid, I paid the discounted price, even though I never signed a contract. Now I have my mpx220 working smoothly on my AT&T account, all for about $380. Does anyone know when registration begins for the bluetooth headset giveaway?

rancyland
10-09-2004, 05:49 AM
Tis true, tis true - I saw the post at 8:15 PM PST, and at 9:30 PM I was driving home from the Woodland Hills CA Best Buy with a brand-new MPX-22...working on my T-Mobile account! And it took that long only because someone else was ahead of me buying one!

By the way, even though the phone is indeed unlocked, there is a Cingular badge at the bottom of the keypad.

There were a couple of minutes of pre-purchase apprehension as it took that long for my SIM card to register on the network,. but then the 'No Service' message changed to 'T-Mobile' and there was much rejoicing in the wireless dept. And there were at leaset 5 more in the display case (I think).

Reception is as good or better than the V600 it's replacing (it's going back to T-Mobile under the 14-day return policy - which expires for me on Monday - whew). I also picked up a 256 MB MiniSD card and celebrated my gluttony by adding Kill Bill Vols. I & II.

Let the games begin!

Beowulf
10-09-2004, 06:22 AM
My local best buy still has their empty display spot for the mpx220. They quickly dismissed me for the second time repeating that no stores in the area had it and they were not sure when it would be in. :(

My guess is that they are shipping the phones out of CA, and over the next week they will start to pop up around the nation with the majority of stores having it Oct 15th.

Tomorrow I wil try to get my Cingular account authorized for an upgrade without that $150 fine.

Can anyone post some of the pictures taken from the production mpx220 camera to dispell the rumors?

windmiller
10-09-2004, 06:58 AM
I will check Raliegh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC stores Saturday AM and post!! Man I hope they are there. I called them today and the guy said they had them but they werent being sold yet. Im just walking in tommorrow.

tatahed
10-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Really want the balck phone or do they only have silver.

PPCMD
10-09-2004, 09:37 PM
I guess we get Silver to start with. I wonder if ATTWS is getting the other color which is (per Bengal Boy at Howard Forums) indicates its not black but a dark reddish or bronze color. He had an engineering sample and has an excellent early users input based on it.

As for pics here is a link to Howard Forums with sample pics.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=475148

Jerry Raia
10-10-2004, 06:46 AM
I just got off the phone with this best buy:

Thousand Oaks CA (Store 112)
Village Square
390 N. Moorpark Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Phone: 805-494-8370

And they do have it in stock (they've had it since yesterday). The price is as advertised, but I didn't ask if they'll ship it :) My wife and I decided to (ouch) take the hit of a 2 year agreement (since we've never had a problem with Cingular) and save the $150.

Or does anybody know how the contract extension works? Is it a mail-in rebate? Could I order one from CA and mail in the $150 rebate after I activate online?

I just picked mine up there today :) They had me pay the extra 150 because I have only been with cingular 3 months. I didnt qualify for an upgrade I guess :(

Mike Temporale
10-10-2004, 11:42 AM
So we know the phone is SIM unlocked, can anyone verify that it's application unlocked too? I'm guessing that it is, but it would be nice to clarify this.

Kris Kumar
10-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Spoke with the Best Buy folks over here (Rochester, NY) again, this time in person. They were surprised that the phone is already out in CA. They did receive training on the phone, but have not received the sample display piece even. They mentioned that their shipments come in on tuesday nights. So I should check up with them Wed morning. :-(

PPCMD
10-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Kris thanks for the update, the Syracuse store still didn't have any info or the display on Friday night and clue when they would. If you get it before we do I will either drive to your store or have the Syracuse store get one transfered.

Kris Kumar
10-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Kris thanks for the update, the Syracuse store still didn't have any info or the display on Friday night and clue when they would. If you get it before we do I will either drive to your store or have the Syracuse store get one transfered.

8)

Can't wait till wednesday. :-)

Another thing I asked the BB guy was if they can get the phone shipped from CA to our store. They said it would take almost a month and is next to impossible. But I am hoping that getting it shipped from a store in NY or in the same region might be a different deal.

PPCMD
10-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Kris, all I can say is road trip. Buffalo is a mere 2+ hours from Syracuse and if they won't ship it I will have to get it and make sure they register my phone on a Syracuse area number. As to the month issue, I don't buy that they just don't want to do it. The Syracuse BB didn't say how long it would take especially since I made it clear paying for UPS (expedited) shiping is NOT a problem for me.

aristoBrat
10-10-2004, 09:07 PM
LOL -- I had to "road trip it" to get my MPx200 (back in the day). I live in a SunCom region, so the nearest AT&T stores were up in DC, which is about a 2.5 hour (one way) drive from here.

I didn't mind the drive there, or even having to fib my way out of work early that day, but having to drive BACK 2.5 hours and not be able to use it right away (it was SIM locked) was the worst.

Well, having to make the same trip a week later to return the phone because of its (lack of) RF reception in weak areas was the worst, but ... :D

Jason Lee
10-11-2004, 03:26 AM
well, I checked at the Best Buy in Springfield, MO. No phone here. I thought I'd go ahead and ask any way and was pleasantly surprised when the lady said, "sure we have the 220 right over here." Needles to say after 15 minutes of trying to explain the difference between the v220 and the mpx220 I left discusted... :roll:

quake97
10-11-2004, 04:40 PM
I called all of the Best Buys around Philadelphia and no one has it. I talked to one store and the guy was a bit peeved. I must have not been the first person to ask. He said its releasing worldwide on Friday and I can't get it anywhere until then! :)

PPCMD
10-11-2004, 05:21 PM
I guess he doesn't read the net and doesn't follow the new on the products they sell. Oh well at least we know.

aristoBrat
10-11-2004, 05:24 PM
I guess he doesn't read the net and doesn't follow the new on the products they sell. Oh well at least we know.
Or he's actually following instructions to NOT release the phone until the offical launch date and is peeved that other stores aren't. :)

Mike Temporale
10-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Or he's actually following instructions to NOT release the phone until the offical launch date and is peeved that other stores aren't. :)

I would agree, but... It's in their flyer (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=42398). So I can't imagine they are being told not to sell them. :?

Kris Kumar
10-11-2004, 06:08 PM
This is what I did. Before I went into Best Buy, on my MPx200 browser, I loaded up the Smartphone Thoughts home page. :-) While I was talking to the Best Buy guy, when he said he didn't know Best Buy had started selling them, I showed him the SPT web page and then showed him the replies from our readers. That got him talking. :-) Of course I still did not get the phone. :-(

And now we should be showing them the post about the Best Buy flyer. ;-)

me
10-12-2004, 03:37 AM
Have I mentioned to anyone that I sold my beloved pocket pc and assorted gadgets about 2+ months ago so I could get this phone? Anybody wonder why I'm so anxious!??!? 8O

That could have been a big mistake! :roll: For one thing, a Smartphone doesn't have most of the functionality of a PPC, just a little of it, as well as a much smaller screen. I'm thinking of getting a Smartphone too at some point, but I doubt it will replace my PPC. I don't know what other gadgets you sold, but I doubt the mpx220 will replace all of them either.

And, from the original article to this thread, it sounds like there are problems with the mpx220, that it might not be so great after all.

You might be more than anxious after getting the phone.

me
10-12-2004, 03:43 AM
Hailfire reported paying the discounted price, although he did not enter into a Cingular contract. Did that occur with you also, rancyland, or did you have to pay $499?

Tis true, tis true - I saw the post at 8:15 PM PST, and at 9:30 PM I was driving home from the Woodland Hills CA Best Buy with a brand-new MPX-22...working on my T-Mobile account! And it took that long only because someone else was ahead of me buying one!

By the way, even though the phone is indeed unlocked, there is a Cingular badge at the bottom of the keypad.

There were a couple of minutes of pre-purchase apprehension as it took that long for my SIM card to register on the network,. but then the 'No Service' message changed to 'T-Mobile' and there was much rejoicing in the wireless dept. And there were at leaset 5 more in the display case (I think).

Reception is as good or better than the V600 it's replacing (it's going back to T-Mobile under the 14-day return policy - which expires for me on Monday - whew). I also picked up a 256 MB MiniSD card and celebrated my gluttony by adding Kill Bill Vols. I & II.

Let the games begin!

white skinned
10-13-2004, 08:24 PM
im in michigan its not out here yet.. Best Buy told me they would have it in a week..i also heard that Best Buy would be the exclusive seller of this phone for the first month.. then cingular would obtain it..cingular in michigan knows nothing about the phone and is not in stock yet.. :evil:

lsbeller
10-14-2004, 03:06 PM
I live in San Antonio, TX and none of the Best Buys have the MPx220 yet. Although, they do have the sales tag up for it on an empty display. I asked the sales rep why the tag was up if they did not have the product, and he said it was because other stores were already selling it and they would be receiving it soon. However, he also said it did not show as ordered yet and therefore did not have an expected arrival date either.

He did tell me that if I was an exisiting Cingular customer and my contract had expired and I was on a simple month to month, I could get the phone for $349 and sign up for a one year contract. I don't think he has been trained on it yet though.

hodgear
10-14-2004, 03:19 PM
This phone is to show up in Indianapolis tomorrow (Friday). I'm sure this will be the day for most other places. I've mostly changed my mind though. I'm going to get both the 220 and the 5600 and see what I like better. Right now I'm thinking the 5600 because of the bluetooth issues.

aristoBrat
10-14-2004, 05:35 PM
This phone is to show up in Indianapolis tomorrow (Friday). I'm sure this will be the day for most other places. I've mostly changed my mind though. I'm going to get both the 220 and the 5600 and see what I like better. Right now I'm thinking the 5600 because of the bluetooth issues.
For me, it'd be the 5600 because of Media Player 10 .. I could copy stuff from my TiVo to my PC to my phone. w00t!

dwildone
10-15-2004, 06:22 PM
Hey all...this is my first post here as I'm a recent crossover from PPCT. I just got off the phone with 3 or 4 local Best Buy stores. As usual, most of the sales clerks had no clue :roll: , but I did get one to check the status of the SKU. She was hesitiant b/c she had just checked it yesterday and it showed no delivery date, but she did it anyway 8). Their delivery status now shows 12 units out for delivery from the central warehouse. She also said that they don't usualy get deliveries on Friday or Saturday, so it looks like these were dropshipped and are not on a regular truck. In any event, I'm supposed to call back in the morning and see if they are there.... 8)

edh72
10-15-2004, 09:52 PM
The Best Buy in Raleigh NC now has them (Glenwood Ave Location)

After an hour the phone seems cool so far. Is the no voice-dial over bluetooth headsets really true (I can't get it to work). Any work arounds or 3rd party apps to fix this? If not, it's going bac and I'll keep my V600

hodgear
10-16-2004, 04:45 AM
I got this phone today. I can't get mp3 rintones to work. Anyone have any luck?

spadoc
10-16-2004, 08:58 PM
I just picked up the phone from the Elk Grove Best Buy. I called and they said they didn't have any and didn't expect any. I went in and the sales person said they didn't have any and didn't expect any. I got a manager to check the computer and she found out they had 16 of them in back. Now they have 15 in back. They aren't on display and they have to look in the computer under Cingular, not Motorola to find them.

Kris Kumar
10-17-2004, 05:47 PM
The phone is now available in Rochester NY Best Buy. I am guessing they are available in the other upstate NY and NY stores as well. :-)

Another tip, the phone was not on display at my local store. I had to specifically ask for it.

white skinned
10-17-2004, 06:48 PM
there available in all the michigan Best Buy stores ive checked at.. ill wait till it gets to cingular kuz best buy has a 100$ mail in rebate that im eligable for with an upgrade but they dont see it.. so ill get it at cingular in a few weeks when it will cost me 250$

Jason Lee
10-18-2004, 04:23 PM
The Best Buy in Springfield, MO recieved them on 10/14. I played arould with it a bit. It is nice and fast. I bluetoothed an .WMA file over and the external speaker wasn't too bad. However as everyone has been saying, the camera sucks. I couldn't even get it to take a picture at the max res. It would just smear the image... I will not be getting one.. :( I use the camera on my v600 way too much.. oh well... :roll:

PPCMD
10-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Nothing at the Syracuse store yet, but they said anyday. Really annoying but anyday.

PPCMD
10-20-2004, 04:14 AM
MPX220 has reached the Syracuse NY Best Buy. They got (6) in last night (monday) had (5) when I got there at noon. Stop on in and get yours today.

ocomik
10-20-2004, 05:02 AM
I've found them in the Chicagoland area at Best Buy in Naperville (1 left) and Joliet (3 left) as of this posting.

ocomik

www.ocomik.net/blog/index.html

HalM
10-30-2004, 01:21 AM
Bought mine Wednesday. $350 with a $50 rebate for a 1 year contract, $100 rebate for a 2 year contract.

Best Buy was WORTHLESS. Took 4 hours with Cingular over 2 days to get my account properly setup but now it ROCKS. Worth the $$$.