View Full Version : PPCW.Net: "Final Motorola MPx220 Will Become A Great Device"

Kris Kumar
10-08-2004, 05:15 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2094' target='_blank'>http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2094</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Motorola hadn't only improved the software but also the hardware and the latest software will not work that good with the previous hardware anymore but great with the final device. Therefore my clear advice is to keep the hands off from pre-production units, doesn't matter how alluring it is. On the other hand, the final Motorola MPx220 will become a great device, even better than expected and it's worth to wait for!"</i><br /><br />Arne Hess over at PPCW.Net is talking about his recent conversation with the Motorola folks, during which he found out the significant improvements that Motorola has made to the Smartphone prior to its commercial production. Improvements like better stand-by time and an external display that works even in bright sunlight. I wonder if picture quality was also improved, because that was one of the significant shortcomings as per the reviews based on the pre-production models. Arne is also warning folks to stay away from the pre-production/engineering samples, as the latest firmware update for the MPx220 renders them practically useless. If the above is true, then I may forgive Motorola for all the delay. ;-) What do you think?

possmann
10-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Interesting comments from Arne... I don't know - I think Moto has some serious competition with the HTC devices coming out. Actually with the release of the i-jam which is actually a small PPCPE device - I find myself waffling again between the OS's.

decisions decision - :lol:

cmorris
10-08-2004, 06:58 PM
If this is the reason for the delayed release, good for Motorola. How many times have people accused companies of rushing products out to the market that weren't ready?

I think Moto has some serious competition with the HTC devices coming out.

That's true, but I think for more "mainstream" users, the flip form factor and Motorola name carry a lot of weight. I would say the 220 is still the most important "next-gen" device to hit the market from the platform's point of view.

Kris Kumar
10-08-2004, 07:15 PM
decisions decision - :lol:

Don't mean to derail you off the Smartphone wagon, ;-) but have you seen the pictures of the new BenQ P50 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=290700) Pocket PC Phone Edition device. It is smaller than the other PPC PE devices in the market and has built-in keyboard. It will give Motorola MPx a tough competition.

And I feel that it will be an ideal device for people who are undecided between the bigger Pocket PC Phone Edition devices and Smartphones. Not to forget this one may pose a serious threat to the Treo.

MS Mobiles
10-09-2004, 04:25 AM
the final Motorola MPx220 will become a great device, even better than expected and it's worth to wait for!

The final mpx220 is now on sale at BestBuy USA and many people complain about short battery life, low quality of presumably megapixel camera and other problems.

how can one claim that something "will become a great device" if somebody haven't seen it in final version? there is only one explanation: that somebody has been given MPx220 for free and now he wants to repay that favor.

My personal opinion is: buy i-mate SP3 or that Audiovox (with GSM850 too) that is a clone of it = HTC Typhoon.

I was playing with both and this HTC Typhoon phone is a wholly new experience - HTC at last produced a perfect smartphone (I don't like clam shells anyway). To claim that "MPx220 will become great device" is nothing but a misleading statement.

Mark0824
10-09-2004, 04:55 AM
I had an engineering sample that was produced in late august/early september. The camera sucked and the battery life was horrible. I liked the phone and the form factor but those issues along with no vocie dial through bluetooth headset made me sell the phone.

This is very late in the game for an hardware changes, especially with the phone available 5 weeks after I receveid mine. People are already complaining about poor camera and battery life on the just released production model.

I have a c500 and I love it. It is has almost all the options I want in a cell phone.

Mark