View Full Version : Switching off ringing and alerts automatically when you're 'busy'

Tiscali
10-04-2004, 05:20 PM
To enable this, go to Start / Settings / Profiles and select 'Automatic'.

Setting the profile of your phone to 'Meeting' turns off the ringing tones and alerts as default. So selecting 'Automatic' switches the profile of your phone automatically from 'Normal' (the one with rings and alerts) to 'Meeting' when the Calendar indicates that your are busy e.g you're at a meeting, cinema, theatre, library, etc. *. The phone then switches its profile back to 'Normal' thereafter.

* You can alter this and any other profile by going to Start / Settings / Profiles, highlight a profile on the list and select Menu / Edit

(A wish item for MS on next release/update - this feature should only switch to 'Meeting' if the status for the active Calendary entry is set to 'Busy' (this feature currently ignores the Calendar status))

This works on Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. Could any other users confirm if this feature is enabled with earlier versions?

Thank you / Salamat po

aristoBrat
10-04-2004, 05:48 PM
I have never had a problem doing that on my 2002 device...

ebelen1
02-01-2005, 04:43 PM
To enable this, go to Start / Settings / Profiles and select 'Automatic'.

Setting the profile of your phone to 'Meeting' turns off the ringing tones and alerts as default. So selecting 'Automatic' switches the profile of your phone automatically from 'Normal' (the one with rings and alerts) to 'Meeting' when the Calendar indicates that your are busy e.g you're at a meeting, cinema, theatre, library, etc. *. The phone then switches its profile back to 'Normal' thereafter.

* You can alter this and any other profile by going to Start / Settings / Profiles, highlight a profile on the list and select Menu / Edit

(A wish item for MS on next release/update - this feature should only switch to 'Meeting' if the status for the active Calendary entry is set to 'Busy' (this feature currently ignores the Calendar status))

This works on Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. Could any other users confirm if this feature is enabled with earlier versions?

Thank you / Salamat po

Great tip. I always fumble for my phone before meetings (if I remember) so it doesn't go off. I'll test this today.

Thanks. Salamat

Jerry Raia
02-01-2005, 07:05 PM
I've often wondered about this feature. Doesn't it become a pain when your schedule changes a lot?

Mike Temporale
02-01-2005, 07:34 PM
No, it doesn't matter how often you change your schedule. It just looks at your calendar to check if there is a meeting now. If so, switch to silent. If not, then continue dong what you're doing. :wink:

Jerry Raia
02-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Right but what if you say get out of a meeting early and you don't change your schedule. Now your phone won't ring until the actual time in your schedule. So if you have the kind of schedule that might change in that way often I would think it might be more hassle than its worth.

Mike Temporale
02-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Or, you might enjoy the extra peace and quite. :wink: :lol:

Jerry Raia
02-01-2005, 08:08 PM
WHAT?? And be disconnected from the electrons? Heresy I say! :twak:

ebelen1
02-03-2005, 04:13 AM
Weird thing. When I go to this profile, it works for the first upcoming meeting. But then, it doesn't go back to Meeting mode for the next meeting in Outlook. I'll go to settings and see that Automatic is checked.

I'll then go to Automatic and select it and the phone home screen will show meeting.

I don't think this is consistently working for me?

jfreiman
06-23-2005, 06:00 PM
I too wish this feature was more complete.

Call me crazy, but I have my television listings in my phone for each evening and I would love it if I could just leave my phone in "Automatic" mode 24/7.

However, like mentioned above, ANY calendar entry will send the phone into "Meeting" mode and that really bites.

This features works great for me at work for meetings, etc. but really bites for the rest of the day/evening.

Does anyone think that this might be solved with a registry tweak?

jfreiman
06-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Weird thing. When I go to this profile, it works for the first upcoming meeting. But then, it doesn't go back to Meeting mode for the next meeting in Outlook. I'll go to settings and see that Automatic is checked.

I'll then go to Automatic and select it and the phone home screen will show meeting.

I don't think this is consistently working for me?

This hasn't been a problem for me and I use this feature every day. Sometimes I have noticed a delay (maybe 30 seconds) before the phone switches into Meeting mode.

This is another 'related' problem; When I create a new entry using my phone (SMT5600) the phone will not always switch into Metting mode and I have to manually place the phone into Silent. :x