View Full Version : 4SmartPhone Launches Mobile Computing Solution for SMBs

Mike Temporale
10-04-2004, 01:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.4smartphone.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.4smartphone.com/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"4SmartPhone, a provider of mobility solutions that enable businesses to share anything, anywhere, anytime, announced today it has delivered the most highly available, affordable and portable mobility solution for small and medium-size businesses (SMBs). The company’s 4SmartPhone service, running on the Windows Exchange 2003 platform, delivers seamless access to corporate information on Microsoft Windows mobile devices as well as most data-enabled phones, smartphones and wireless PDAs. 4SmartPhone is the first to offer professionals who are frequently out of the office, an affordable, convenient mobile office solution that is supported by 24x7 customer service."</i><br /><br />If you've been looking for affordable Exchange hosting that allows you to sync your Windows Mobile device wirelessly, then look no further. 4Smartphone is offering a basic package for $10 per month per account. 8O And the basic account, is by no means basic! It's loaded with features. Even if you don't need the wireless sync features, I don't think I've seen Exchange hosting so affordable before.

Don Sorcinelli
10-04-2004, 02:59 PM
"4SmartPhone, a provider of mobility solutions that enable businesses to share anything, anywhere, anytime, announced today it has delivered the most highly available, affordable and portable mobility solution for small and medium-size businesses (SMBs). The company’s 4SmartPhone service, running on the Windows Exchange 2003 platform, delivers seamless access to corporate information on Microsoft Windows mobile devices as well as most data-enabled phones, smartphones and wireless PDAs. 4SmartPhone is the first to offer professionals who are frequently out of the office, an affordable, convenient mobile office solution that is supported by 24x7 customer service."

If you've been looking for affordable Exchange hosting that allows you to sync your Windows Mobile device wirelessly, then look no further. 4Smartphone is offering a basic package for $10 per month per account. 8O And the basic account, is by no means basic! It's loaded with features. Even if you don't need the wireless sync features, I don't think I've seen Exchange hosting so affordable before.

There are actually a surprising number of affordable hosted Exchange providers out there now. About 11 months ago, I wrote a series of articles about hosted Exchange 2003 providers "for the masses" (just as Exchange 2003 was launching) and was floored by the options. Since then, the number has grown even larger.

I currently use MailStreet (http://www.mailstreet.com) for my services, which is a couple of dollars per month more expensive than 4Smartphone, but the service has been stellar. I just recently discovered that 1and1 (http://www.1and1.com), known for their inexpensive web hosting, has now entered the Exchange Server hosting business. They offer an unbelieveable package at $6.99/month! BTW - They have also gotten into the SharePoint Services business at an also amazing $19.95/month for 50 users 8O

I really cannot begin to espouse the benefits of using hosted Exchange Server as a Windows Mobile user. The Server ActiveSync functionality is awesome (not just for mail, but for Contacts and Calendar as well). Most of the providers offer the first 14 days or more free, giving people a chance to try it all out. Once you try it, it's hard to break the addiction :wink:

DonS

richmullikin
10-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Mailstreet recently added Mobility to their portfolio. They offer Blackberry service at double the price of 4SmartPhone, and only the basic Exchange support for mobile devices (no shared contacts, folders or calendars from your mobile, which they don't offer). And, they do charge quite a bit more: for example for one account it is 12.95/month + $3.25/month for Virus/spam + $2/month for Wireless Synch to Windows mobile ... correct me if I am wrong, but that is close to $220 a year for a single user! Price goes down for more users, but not that much.

As for 1&1, yes they are very cheap at $6.99/month, but my experience with them has been that first, their security certificate didn't work so they had me switch to un-secure communications, which in itself in unacceptable. Then the synch still didn't work because of a major error that is still not resolved as of last month (it is a server-side error ... their issue) so as a result, I've been credited for 2 months in a row ... but I got no wireless service either. Furthermore, the tech person was kind enough to tell me that the problem was universal at the time ... i.e. no windows mobile customer could actually use the service.

Don Sorcinelli
10-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Mailstreet recently added Mobility to their portfolio. They offer Blackberry service at double the price of 4SmartPhone, and only the basic Exchange support for mobile devices (no shared contacts, folders or calendars from your mobile, which they don't offer). And, they do charge quite a bit more: for example for one account it is 12.95/month + $3.25/month for Virus/spam + $2/month for Wireless Synch to Windows mobile ... correct me if I am wrong, but that is close to $220 a year for a single user! Price goes down for more users, but not that much.
I agree that this is not for everyone due to the pricing. However, this is still far more efficient for many than the alternative of setting up your own Exchange Server :wink:

As for 1&1, yes they are very cheap at $6.99/month, but my experience with them has been that first, their security certificate didn't work so they had me switch to un-secure communications, which in itself in unacceptable. Then the synch still didn't work because of a major error that is still not resolved as of last month (it is a server-side error ... their issue) so as a result, I've been credited for 2 months in a row ... but I got no wireless service either. Furthermore, the tech person was kind enough to tell me that the problem was universal at the time ... i.e. no windows mobile customer could actually use the service.
I admit that I have not worked with 1and1 at all; I was investigating their ASP.NET/SQL Server hosting plans when I discovered the hosted Exchange offering. Their pricing model may have some competitive impact though, especially if it has the same effect that some of their previous pricing plans have had on competitors.

DonS