View Full Version : I want an mpx220

gai-jin
10-03-2004, 05:10 PM
Okay... I've just read the hofo review of this phone, and other than the camera, it seems to be an amazing phone. I've been going w/o a ppc since selling my i700 to switch to cingular... now that cing is going to carry the mpx220, I want it!

But, I'm no expert in the smartphone world... what are the downsides? it looks slightly larger than mycurrent v600 phone. battery life a bit shorter... anything else?

I want it I want it I want it! I've just got to get the wife to approve it...

nordicnine
10-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Didn't the Cingular & AT/T networks merge?

So, if AT&T has good coverage where I am, I should be able to have access to all of that if I switch to Cingular, right?

So, tempting. I'm in the same situation. I got rid of my PPCPE and have been going without a PPC and really missing it. It's so handy to have, but it was WAY to big. The XDA Compact from T-mobile looks tempting, but I like the idea of the flip. I guess I'll have to see how bad T-mobile wants to keep me. ;) I've been with them over 5 years and spend about $100/mo so I'm sure they want to keep me. Just matters what phones they will have.

gai-jin
10-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Cingular bought AT&T, but it's not final yet. Should be, within a couple of days though. I'm hearing that as soon as a month from now you'll be able to buy cingular in formerly AT&T only markets.

Kris Kumar
10-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Didn't the Cingular & AT/T networks merge?

So, if AT&T has good coverage where I am, I should be able to have access to all of that if I switch to Cingular, right?

That is a correct assumption.

Even right now Cingular customers can roam on AT&T networks without paying roaming charges. :-) However right now if Cingular and AT&T both have towers in your area, then as a Cingular customer the phone will connect to the Cingular tower even if the AT&T tower offers stronger signal. I mean the cell phone prioritizes network over signal strength. But once they merge the phone will go for the stronger signal. :-)

Kris Kumar
10-04-2004, 12:54 AM
But, I'm no expert in the smartphone world... what are the downsides? it looks slightly larger than mycurrent v600 phone. battery life a bit shorter... anything else?

The 1.3 mega pixel camera is the only known major downside. In spite of the resolution, the picture quality is terrible.

Compared to the C500 it is bulky and the battery life is also less. But as a GSM customer, having a Quad Band Smartphone is very important, more so if you plan on traveling abroad.

Another possible downside. MPx220 will most likely be priced higher than the other Smartphones like Audiovox SMT5600 and i-mate SP3i.

I am rooting for the MPx220 also. :)

nordicnine
10-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Are there any other flip ms smartphones that will be availalble in US?

Mike Temporale
10-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Are there any other flip ms smartphones that will be availalble in US?

Mitac Mio 8390 - Although not from a carrier.

gai-jin
10-07-2004, 05:10 PM
[quote=gai-jin]
Compared to the C500 it is bulky and the battery life is also less. But as a GSM customer, having a Quad Band Smartphone is very important, more so if you plan on traveling abroad.

Another possible downside. MPx220 will most likely be priced higher than the other Smartphones like Audiovox SMT5600 and i-mate SP3i.

The C500-- I just don't like the way the controls look on that phone. Looks like it would be difficult to navigate menus and such.

Camera quality concerns me, I thought a 1.3 would be better than that. But, as rarely as I actually use the camera, probably not a major issue.

Bulk... that could be a concern.... that's the reason I got rid of my i700 and switched back to a normal phone...c arrying that thing around was just way to big/heavy/dangerous.

hmm... either way, still looking forward to this phone.

Gai-jin