View Full Version : Can a Smartphone Work for You (One Device or Two)?

Mike Temporale
09-27-2004, 03:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2230' target='_blank'>http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2230</a><br /><br /></div><i>"So you are now a new junior executive and your company tells you that you have to be accessible when away from the office. They tell you that you can choose any mobile phone that you want to, but you will have to consider that you will need to do email on it every once and a while. That pretty much knocks out the “free with your plan” phones and makes you consider a smartphone. Your only issue is that you have a PDA and do not want to have two devices that do the same thing. So now you have a problem: getting the smartphone and having everything on one device, with your PDA as your backup to everything; or get a high end phone that will be able to connect to your PDA (maybe even wirelessly), and you can have your email come down to the PDA."</i><br /><br />BarginPDA.com has an interesting article that lists some pros and cons of the smartphone (small 's'). If you're thinking of getting a device, this article is a good source of the currently available devices by carrier, and the features / carrier packages that you should look into.

ronniefussell
09-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Tackling this problem before was a nightmare, traveling with a PDA and cell phone was a logistical challenge. Did I have the right power cord, the right car adapter, did I remember to pick up my phone or was it my PDA at lunch, did I leave it somewhere...

The switch to the Treo 300 and then the Treo 600 solved all of that and more. Now I get my company e-mails and personal ones too. I start top enter a name and the number appears and ready to dial, none of the looking up on the PDA and then dialing...it is all in one handy place.

It has become so good that I have done away with my need for multiple phones, no more home number and a work number and a cell number...all in one. With ability to selectively assign different rings to different people or groups, I can differentiate between a business and personal call.

The only thing left to do is to get someone to develop an office appliance to plug my Treo 600 into that has a speakphone and dial pad to use at my home office and the task will be complete...I would be a happy man.... :D