View Full Version : Receive/Send email without Wireless Sync?

bdegroodt
09-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Using a Blackberry now, and really hate the voice quality on this thing, so I'm considering the i600 through Verizon.

I'm not interested in keeping a PC running full time in order to get my email/calendar sent to me. Am I correct in understanding this is the only way to receive emai on the i600 that doesn't involve one's IT department setting up a sync server?

And is it only one email account that I'll have access to?

scottb
09-17-2004, 10:31 PM
You can have more than one account--I'm not sure how many. I use Wireless Sync for a POP3 three account. I don't run anything on my PC to use it. It's all handled by the Wireless Sync Web site.

bdegroodt
09-17-2004, 10:45 PM
You can have more than one account--I'm not sure how many. I use Wireless Sync for a POP3 three account. I don't run anything on my PC to use it. It's all handled by the Wireless Sync Web site.
Huh...Interesting. Verizon's bit makes me believe that I have to leave a PC on back at the office in order to sync email and calendar. Are you just receiving/sending POP email? Because that shouldn't (in my mind) require any intermediate software--just a connection to the internet. Are you getting Exchange-based email/calendar?

scottb
09-17-2004, 11:43 PM
I'm only using it for POP3 mail only and it does not require any intermediate software. It collects mail from my POP3 server every 15 minutes and I intiate the sync operations througout the day. You can have it "push" your mail to your phone every 15 minutes, but I think that would be too hard on the already strained battery life.

wch
11-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Using a Blackberry now, and really hate the voice quality on this thing, so I'm considering the i600 through Verizon.

I'm not interested in keeping a PC running full time in order to get my email/calendar sent to me. Am I correct in understanding this is the only way to receive emai on the i600 that doesn't involve one's IT department setting up a sync server?

And is it only one email account that I'll have access to?

To get wireless sync you have to enable the software. I tried and have uninstalled it. several problems: 1. no antivirus software 2. no anti-spam software. first time i tried the wireless sync, 118 messages, 3 real ones. I won't reinstall it. I'm going to try "www.mail2web.com" from my i700

scottb
11-05-2004, 03:29 PM
I have also stopped using Wireless Sync. It worked ok for me, but I have some privacy concerns about all those contacts' information on the Web site. It also seems to be a laborius process to the the Sync.

I use Pocket Outlook now to send and recieve e-mail. It syncs every 2 hours so the battery lasts a little longer. I can always do a manual sync any time. I had to sign up at smtp.com to handle outgoing mail becuase of the need to have two different ID/Passwords, one for my POP server and one for VZW's smtp server. P-Outlook can't do that.

Janak Parekh
11-10-2004, 06:58 PM
There are several alternatives, and some of them don't need Wireless Sync.

1. Use Wireless Sync and install the redirector either on a workstation or the server.

2. Use Wireless Sync to pull POP3 -- only uses Verizon's servers to do the work.

3. Use the built-in Inbox applet to pull POP3 or IMAP4.

For #1 and #2, you might want to take a look at the Quick Start Guide (https://www.wirelesssync.vzw.com/en/quickstart.asp) -- it has some useful info. :) Wireless Sync gives you more than just email, and it has push-like functionality, although at the cost of draining battery faster. I'm generally very happy with it, although I turned off the push part because I've realized I don't need it all that much.

--janak

bdegroodt
11-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks Janak! Love your "title" here. I ended up getting the h6315 from TM. Mostly because TM is VERY good at getting "behind the firewall" for calendar/contacts/email, but doesn't sync. Good news here is that we're finally opening up Activesync on the server soon...so this won't be an issue. I wish I heard better things about this i600 because it cost me a boatload of money to shed my VZW contract, and buy the new h6315...plus the h6315 isn't a very stable device.

Janak Parekh
11-13-2004, 08:00 AM
Thanks Janak! Love your "title" here.
It's a mutual thing for Thoughts Media folks. ;)

Mostly because TM is VERY good at getting "behind the firewall" for calendar/contacts/email, but doesn't sync.
The Wireless Sync seems to be pretty good about this as long as you're willing to keep your PC on.

I wish I heard better things about this i600 because it cost me a boatload of money to shed my VZW contract, and buy the new h6315...plus the h6315 isn't a very stable device.
:( Sorry. I hope T-Mo's coverage is doing well for you. Sadly enough, there's several new very cool-looking Samsung CDMA devices on the horizon, now that I bought my i600. This market never slows down...

--janak