View Full Version : Rogers Wireless Expected To Make An Offer For Fido/Microcell

Mike Temporale
09-17-2004, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=e8b3ea29-b7cc-4e89-a272-2425c042778a' target='_blank'>http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=e8b3ea29-b7cc-4e89-a272-2425c042778a</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Rogers Wireless Communications Inc. said Thursday it may join the bidding for rival Microcell Telecommunications Inc., operator of the Fido mobile phone network. Rogers Wireless said it has filed a request for an advance-ruling certificate and a short form pre-merger notification with the federal Competition Bureau in connection with a possible offer. "Those filings have been made in order to put Rogers Wireless in a position to make such an offer on an expedited basis if a decision were to be made to do so," the company said in a release. If Rogers bids for Montreal-based Microcell, it will have to contend with a standing offer of $1.1 billion from Telus Corp. for the company."</i><br /><br />The Telus offer has been rejected by Fido. I was kind of hoping that the takeover bids would have ended with that. :( If Rogers does put forth an offer, I think we could see Telus return, and we will see this turn into a bidding war. Which is good for Fido shareholders.<br /><br />This quote is very interesting. <i>"Analysts have also suggested it would be in the interest of all the mobile phone companies in Canada to get rid of Microcell, whose low rates are driving down prices."</i> So it's not about building a bigger customer base, or improved coverage. It's all about getting rid of the little guy so you can drive up prices and rip of the consumer. :twisted:

Jason Dunn
09-17-2004, 08:15 PM
That absolutely sucks. Fido is the most progressive, aggressive carrier we have in Canada. Canadian carriers are already years behind what US carriers offer their customers, and they want to STOP Fido from giving better deals to their customers? &lt;sigh> Idiots. :roll:

groan
09-17-2004, 09:52 PM
my telus contract ends in november.
i was considering either rogers or fido
i guess i'll have to hold off, or should i still consider fido?

i really want to replace this ppc and cell-phone business...why carry both when i really only need one!?

Jason Dunn
09-17-2004, 10:08 PM
my telus contract ends in november. i was considering either rogers or fido i guess i'll have to hold off, or should i still consider fido?

I believe you can still consider Fido - it will take at least a year to merge even if they go ahead, and if they do, your contract will likely be grandfathered in. I know when Telus ate Clearnet, I was able to have my Clearnet contract for as long as I wanted it.