View Full Version : It's Been Fun, But I Just Can't Keep Up.

David McNamee
09-01-2004, 11:05 PM
You may have noticed that I haven't been around much lately. If you're new to Smartphone Thoughts, you're probably wondering, "who's this David McNamee guy?" I get the feeling that Mike and Kris have been wondering that lately, too! :(

Earlier this year, I made a major career move. I took the position of Mobility Architect with a consulting and mentoring company called developerLabs (http://www.developerlabs.net/). Part of my job is to help companies design and build software that can take advantage of the great mobile platforms available like the Tablet PC, Pocket PC, and Smartphone. The other part of my job is to write and deliver training courses for companies getting their staffs moved to the .NET platform. It has been a lot of fun, very fulfilling, and tons of work! So much, in fact, that posting to Smartphone Thoughts with any regularity has been this side of impossible.

That isn't fair to Mike, Kris, and Jason who have been picking up my slack for months. And it isn't fair to you, dear reader, who turns to us for all the latest and greatest news and rants from the Smartphone world. Because of that, I am officially hanging it up as a Contributing Editor. I will no longer be trying to keep up with the flood of news coming on a daily basis. I'm sad about that, because this is a great time to be involved with the Smartphone platform. We have more devices on the market and more great software available than ever before. Forget Linux, watch out Palm, move over Symbian - Smartphone is poised for a major breakout.

I'm not going to disappear completely. Jason has conferred upon me the status of Editor Emeritus. That means I'll be posting occasionally on the front page - when I have something worthwhile to say, that is :wink: What I expect that to really mean is a focus on bigger issues in the industry. Things like why Bluetooth will never last, what Microsoft can do to really clobber Palm and Symbian, and how companies can really get the most from Smartphones.

This is a great community and I am proud to be a part of Smartphone Thoughts. See you around!

Jason Dunn
09-02-2004, 04:34 AM
Thanks for everything David - don't be a stranger, post now and then! ;-)

Mike Temporale
09-02-2004, 11:26 AM
It sounds like you are really enjoying your new job. That's great.

Don't forget to visit about us! I always enjoyed your posts, be sure to drop by and share some of your knowledge with us!

marlof
09-02-2004, 04:25 PM
I know exactly what you mean. When I made a career change, I became Editor Emeritus over at Pocket PC Thoughts as well. In the end, when things got a little less crazy at work, I returned to the Contributing Editor status. So not all is lost. ;)

Anyhow, good luck in your career, and thanks for all your work for Smartphonethoughts!

Kris Kumar
09-02-2004, 04:37 PM
You may have noticed that I haven't been around much lately.

Hmm..I thought it was all because of Hurricane Charley. :lol:

We would definitely like to hear from you about the mobile application development challenges and solutions to workaround them.

Good Luck, David.

brntcrsp
09-02-2004, 07:20 PM
Bon Chance David,

It has been a pleasure. and as they say in some parts "Y'all come back now, y'hear!"

Santa Fe
09-02-2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the 420 Valuable posts :!: