View Full Version : Wireless Sync 2.0 -- no longer works with Outlook!?!

ChrisWalker
08-30-2004, 03:19 AM
The original Wireless Sync (the one my new i600 is advertised with) synced with Microsoft Outlook via ActiveSync. It is no longer available.

The new Wireless Sync 2.0 only syncs with the web client. And the web client only syncs with POP3 servers and Exchange/Domino servers. It won't sync with contacts and calendar items in Outlook (the program in Microsoft office; I'm not talking Exchange client here).

Did Verizon really mess this one up? Am I one of the only people who actually needs this seemingly standard functionality? Am I missing something really simple?

:)

Chris

ChrisWalker
08-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Just to confirm, I spoke with Verizon this morning.

The reality is:
* Verizon is falsely advertising (still, today) that Wireless Sync works with Calendar/Contacts/Email/etc. from Outlook via ActiveSync. Even the materials which ship with the brand new i600 phones promise this functionality.
* Verizon removed support from the new Wireless Sync 2.0 for using Calendar/Contacts/Email/etc. from Outlook via ActiveSync. It either didn't "make it into the release" or wasn't a priority.
* Verizon does not warn customers that upgrading from WM2002 to WM2003 (and Wireless Sync to Wireless Sync 2.0) will remove the functionality many customers rely on. And it is apparently a non-reversible operation.
* Verizon no longer supports the old Wireless Sync software.

So, before anyone who uses Wireless Sync to sync with Outlook upgrades to WM2003 and Wireless Sync 2.0, consider this your warning :) Things are not as they seem, and Verizon does not have current plans or release dates for adding this critical functionality back in.

(Consequently, many of us who need this real syncing functionality are relegated to switching phones or providers or finding another way to get our calendar and contacts. Maybe someone will provide an aftermarket connector to wirelessly synchronize all this. Maybe IntelliSync :) )

Chris

Chris

mcdevitt101
09-05-2004, 11:07 AM
In order to get the contacts/tasks/etc. to sync you need to setup the new wireless sync with your phone. Go to the wireless sync web page and setup your phone and computer then it will all sync via wireless sync and not active sync,

ChrisWalker
09-05-2004, 04:17 PM
In order to get the contacts/tasks/etc. to sync you need to setup the new wireless sync with your phone. Go to the wireless sync web page and setup your phone and computer then it will all sync via wireless sync and not active sync,

mcdevitt101,

Thanks for the advice :) Unfortunately, WirelessSync _no longer_ syncs with Outlook -- even through WirelessSync instead of ActiveSync. It REQUIRES an Exchange or Domino server to sync. It cannot sync with just Outlook contacts and calendar items.

Sad, but true. I'm hoping there's an update at some point here to add this support back into the product I paid for :)

Chris