View Full Version : MPx220 Reviewed at HowardForums

Jason Dunn
08-25-2004, 12:33 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=442099' target='_blank'>http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=442099</a><br /><br /></div><i>"...Have been playing around with the New Motorola MpX220 Smartphone for the last couple weeks. Gotta tell you, this is one sweet & powerful little phone, really, its probably the fastest little handset around. Basically, this unit is the poster boy for MicroSoft's New Smartphone 2003 SE Operating System with vast improvements in user interface, speed and features. In order to show off the OS, Motorola has equiped the MpX220 with a "Bleeding Edge" Texas Instruments OMAP 1611 Dual Core Processor. This processor combines a ARM926 and a TI Digital Signal Processor with a set of dedicated hardware accelerators for video, Java and security. The ARM core and the Digital core share external memory via a traffic controller. This processor is capable of being clocked up to 204mhz and the potential for its processing power is greater than a 400mhz Xscale processor according to the experts. Additionally, it is capable of supporting "G" standard 802.WiFi should a Mini-SD WiFi card be made. This processor is really something and the fact that a device of this size is using one really is exciting to me. Additionally, the MpX220 has 33.5mb of onboard SDRAM and 64mb of ROM."</i><br /><br />Bengalboy over at HowardForums has a pre-production MPx220, and he likes it a lot - go check out the review, but have a drool bucket handy. This looks like one impressive phone!

Mike Temporale
08-25-2004, 01:57 AM
Wow. Very cool collection of pictures - and phones! :drool:

That watermark gets really annoying after a couple minutes. :evil:

Jason Dunn
08-25-2004, 02:12 AM
That watermark gets really annoying after a couple minutes. :evil:

Yeah, I personally think watermarks are a bit cheesy, but to each his own...if it makes them feel better to have watermarks, so be it.

It sounds like the 220 is a real performance champ, which is something I've been wanting in a Smartphone for a long time. Here's looking forward to it!

Mike Temporale
08-25-2004, 03:22 AM
I don't typically mind watermarks, if they are done right, and with this one, it's not the "BengalBoy" text that I find annoying. It's the cat face.

As for speed, their is a fair amount of positive feedback on the speed of the new C500 too. Let's not forget that the C500 (Qtek 8010, iMate3) might just be released here in North America before the MPx220. :D It's making for one hard decision.

aristoBrat
08-25-2004, 03:32 AM
It's making for one hard decision.
If the MPx220 doesn't have vastly improved RF reception over the MPx200, it'll make my decision a whole lot easier. ;)

Kris Kumar
08-25-2004, 03:55 AM
It's making for one hard decision.
If the MPx220 doesn't have vastly improved RF reception over the MPx200, it'll make my decision a whole lot easier. ;)

You said it...

Since I am on T-Mobile's network, I don't need the 850Mhz right away. But do need better reception and Bluetooth.

Kris Kumar
08-25-2004, 04:14 AM
During my use of the X220 the phone has displayed very good RF qualities as you would expect from a Motorola top of the line phone. Call quality at my end is very good with an extremely loud speaker, however, some have complained about my voice quality at their end during conversations. This is intermittent and should probably be blamed on the Proto nature of the ROM I am using.

Is it good..Or is it bad :?:

The battery life on my X220 was the only real disappointment and I hesitate to say this is a problem at this time. Remember, I'm using a Proto-type phone that has just had a new ROM installed and although it is apparently light years ahead of some other owners phones in terms of battery life...it is still far shorter than I know the production phone will be. The MpX220 uses a 1000mAh battery and the nature of Dual Core processors is to maximize the battery life of Pocket PC's and Smartphones while still running processor intensive applications. Look for this phone to have acceptable battery life in its final production form.....but don't expect it to be as mizerly as a little Nokia or Sony/Ericsson, Motorola, etc.... Remember, it looks like a little phone, but it has a super fast processor running in there and that takes energy to operate.

C500 scores again..

I hope these are pre-production model problems.[/i]

Jason Dunn
08-25-2004, 04:35 AM

Hmm - interesting. I never noticed any RF problems with my MPx200. :?

Kris Kumar
08-25-2004, 04:44 AM

Inside the office and apartment buildings the reception is poor. It improves the moment I step out.

Janak Parekh
08-25-2004, 04:49 AM
I don't typically mind watermarks, if they are done right, and with this one, it's not the "BengalBoy" text that I find annoying. It's the cat face.
Apparently, he set up the watermark after people started copying his pictures. People have complained about the cat face, but not too much, since he seems to be way beyond everyone else for new devices. Sigh. ;)

As for speed, their is a fair amount of positive feedback on the speed of the new C500 too. Let's not forget that the C500 (Qtek 8010, iMate3) might just be released here in North America before the MPx220. :D It's making for one hard decision.
I think we're finally on the verge of seeing Smartphones take off. Now, let's see some more CDMA devices. :|

--janak

ben865
08-25-2004, 09:21 AM
I've had two MPx 220s to play with this week but sadly both are on their way back to Moto - but only for a few days! :D

I have had both the silver and the dark bronze/red/brown finish. I will be receiving the dark finish back by the weekend flashed with the latest ROM.

Pictures online do not do the dark finish justice is it fantatsic and has a great soft feel.

As far as RF goes I have found the 220 to be up to Moto's usual high standards - I also found no issues with the 200. The network I am on in the UK has terrible coverage near my home and my T610 really struggles but the 220 has been excellent.

I will have my 220 back at the weekend and will be happy to either answer questions here of the offer of a review still stands Jason.

Thanks

Ojster
08-25-2004, 10:06 AM
Hello,

Is external display readable outside on a sunny day? How is it with the internal screen?

Thanks,
Peter

Kris Kumar
08-25-2004, 11:23 AM
As far as RF goes I have found the 220 to be up to Moto's usual high standards - I also found no issues with the 200. The network I am on in the UK has terrible coverage near my home and my T610 really struggles but the 220 has been excellent.

Thanks...

I feel that T610 and MPx200 are both the same when it comes to signal reception. So if MPx220 can do better than T610, then it is probably better than the MPx200.

I would love to see comparison shots of MPx220 and MPx200 home screens, so that we can see the network strength/bars.

ben865
08-25-2004, 11:23 AM
The dark 220 I had is final hardware and the external screen seems very good. Sadly I hardly saw daylight yesterday but it seemed very readable. I like the way it dissapears whn not in use.

Teh internal screen is excellent. Crisp and with excellent colour saturation.

Ojster
08-25-2004, 12:23 PM
One more question:

Is there a way to silent the ringing without opening the phone? And can you cancel the call with phone closed?

So if phone starts ringing (incomming call) and you have active flip (answer with opening the phone), that you can silent the ringing or cancel the call without opening and thus answering the call.
I checked the manual that was available a while ago but it was not mentioned anywehre - it was not final manual though.

Regards,
Peter

maximus
08-25-2004, 12:32 PM
but have a drool bucket handy. This looks like one impressive phone!

I think I need a swimming pool to contain my drooling.

aristoBrat
08-25-2004, 01:27 PM
If you're in a marginal RF signal area, the MPx200 displays "Searching for network..." where other phones don't.

I couldn't use the MPx200 inside of where I work at all, but the SPV e100 works fine there. &lt;shrug>

ben865
08-25-2004, 02:18 PM
One more question:

Is there a way to silent the ringing without opening the phone? And can you cancel the call with phone closed?

So if phone starts ringing (incomming call) and you have active flip (answer with opening the phone), that you can silent the ringing or cancel the call without opening and thus answering the call.
I checked the manual that was available a while ago but it was not mentioned anywehre - it was not final manual though.

Regards,
Peter

Yes. You just hit the volume key on the side.

possmann
08-25-2004, 03:34 PM
dah

:way to go: :drool:

Anyone want to venture a guess at the price? T-Mo just interoduced the ipaq6315 with service contract for $499..... I'm guessing that AT&T (or will it be Cingular?) will be offering this for $400 with a 2 year contract.

I wonder what it will be SIM free....

aristoBrat
08-25-2004, 03:38 PM
My guess is $299.

Oh wait, that's my "I hope" price. ;)

jigs75
08-25-2004, 04:19 PM
One of the pictures on the Howard Forums site showed a TMobile logo...

Anybody know when they might release the 220 in the US, and also Europe?

ben865
08-25-2004, 04:33 PM
I would expect around £300 SIM free. £350 max.

Mind you the P900 is still over £400 so....

Nah my bet is £300 - 350

possmann
08-25-2004, 05:33 PM
T-Mo is not going to carry this phone - that T-Mobile you see on the screen is most likely from the reviewer's SIM card... I would absolutely LOVE it is T-Mo changes their mind to carry this device though - they have the infrastructure, price and service level that (I think) would really help to position this phone and the Smartphone OS well.

aristoBrat
08-25-2004, 06:23 PM
I'm pretty sure I read that AT&T has a 3-month "exclusive" with it, so if that's true, even if T-Mobile would carry it, could you wait that long? I know I'd end up buckling and buying an unlocked one. :D

Kris Kumar
08-26-2004, 02:51 AM
I also hope T-Mobile would launch "A" smartphone. I am sure they will revolutionize the market.

Check out what they are doing with the HP iPaq 6315 Pocket PC Phone Edition device.
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=277870

The bundled rate plan, I am tempted to switch to 6315, because of the unlimited hotspot. I love to hang out at Starbucks. :-)

Also check out the cool training presentation they have for the sales force. I have always been impressed with the T-Mobile reps. This shows why.
http://pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31434

groan
08-26-2004, 06:27 PM
I'm hoping to replace my current non-smartphone phone and my pocket pc.
how do you find these phones (with only the phone keypad) for taking notes and making outlook entries?
This pjhone souds like what i want, but i'm considering waiting for the MPx...thoughts anyone?

aristoBrat
08-26-2004, 06:39 PM
how do you find these phones (with only the phone keypad) for taking notes and making outlook entries?
This pjhone souds like what i want, but i'm considering waiting for the MPx...thoughts anyone?
I didn't find making QUICK notes w/ the phone keypad to be too bad.

It looks like Windows Mobile SE (which the newer Smartphones are shipping with) makes using the keypad easier -- as you spell out the word (using T9), the phone will display suggested words. For example, if you type in "tom" it'd pop up "tomorrow" as one of the suggested words. You can use the joystick to select that.

IMO, Smartphones are designed for "mostly reading, occasional text entry". If you're doing to do a lot of text entry, I'd really consider the MPx.

groan
08-26-2004, 06:58 PM
i was thinking that...
i can only cross my fingers that they wont be priced too rediculously and that it will be available in an 850 format (canada).
also that it will be available around November...lol...thats when my telus acct is done..
Thanks!

ben865
08-26-2004, 07:26 PM
I didn't find making QUICK notes w/ the phone keypad to be too bad.

It looks like Windows Mobile SE (which the newer Smartphones are shipping with) makes using the keypad easier -- as you spell out the word (using T9), the phone will display suggested words. For example, if you type in "tom" it'd pop up "tomorrow" as one of the suggested words. You can use the joystick to select that.

IMO, Smartphones are designed for "mostly reading, occasional text entry". If you're doing to do a lot of text entry, I'd really consider the MPx.

The MPx 220 uses Motorola's system called iTap which is much better that T9.

As you enter a word it displays possible words on the screen inline and if you see the word you are entering you just hit the blue button (action button).

I had this on my V600 nad it works very well indeed - better that T9 in my opinion.

aristoBrat
08-26-2004, 07:37 PM
From reading the reviews over at MoDaCo, it looks like the C500 has that feature too! :)

ben865
08-26-2004, 08:00 PM
From reading the reviews over at MoDaCo, it looks like the C500 has that feature too! :)

No, the C500 uses T9 - the MPx 220 uses iTap.

iTap is developed and owned by Motorola and to the best of my knowledge not licensed by anybody else.

aristoBrat
08-26-2004, 08:27 PM
Doah. My bad -- there were talking about selecting words with T9 using the joystick, so made an ass out of u and me'd. Sounded very much like iTap.

groan
08-26-2004, 09:58 PM
That sounds great.
I assume the OS has some sort of note application?

maybe i'll go with the 220 just to keep the cost down.

(now i hope that rogers here will let me use it on thier network!)

aristoBrat
08-26-2004, 10:19 PM
AFAIK, the "note" application in Windows Mobile is "Voice Recordings", and they don't sync anywhere with ActiveSync.

There are some inexpensive third-party add-ons which will give you a program that will sync notes you take with Outlook Notes, though. :)