View Full Version : FCC To Approve AT&T Acquisition By Cingular

Mike Temporale
08-13-2004, 04:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/thedeal/20040813/bs_deal_thedeal/cingularsetforearlyclearance' target='_blank'>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/thedeal/20040813/bs_deal_thedeal/cingularsetforearlyclearance</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Cingular Wireless LLC is expected to win government clearance for its $41 billion acquisition of AT&T Wireless Services Inc. within the next two months, which is much faster than investors initially expected. Sources said the Justice Department investigation into the deal is in its final stages and should be wrapped up by Sept. 25. The Federal Communication Commission would then conclude its probe in October. Cingular had predicted clearance late in the fourth quarter, and many analysts expected it to occur in 2005."</i><br /><br />I hope Cingular fully understands what they have gotten themselves into. Since the purchase was announced, AT&T has been at the bottom of every customer service and/or satisfaction poll, along with loosing the most subscribers of any carrier. :?

Kris Kumar
08-13-2004, 07:22 PM
I hope Cingular fully understands what they have gotten themselves into. Since the purchase was announced, AT&T has been at the bottom of every customer service and/or satisfaction poll, along with loosing the most subscribers of any carrier. :?

I feel that as a long term strategy this will benefit both the customers and the companies. Consolidation in the GSM market is required. But it has to be seen what kind of decisions Cingular makes after the merger. They do have an uphill task for now.

ShivShanks
08-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Some really strange things I noticed in that news story that hasn't been apparent before -

"The merger agreement requires the company to sell spectrum and customers worth up to $8.25 billion. That equates to dumping 10 million of the 22 million AT&T Wireless customers that Cingular is gaining in the transaction."

So they paid 40 billion dollars for only 12 million customers from a carrier that is now down in the dumps as per consumer ratings? On top of that they have to give away the AT&T brand which accounts for a fair bit of the people who were/are with AT&T Wireless. AT&T the parent company has said that it will take it's brand and reestabilish AT&T Wireless in cooperation with Sprint PCS by using Sprint's network. So guess where some of those 10 million dumped customers are going to?

If you are an AT&T customer I would seriously start looking at alternatives right now. For Cingular dumping you means you cannot stay with them. So the *only* GSM option left is T-Mobile. And you may for may not like T-Mobile for various reasons. How well does T-Mobile support WM Smartphones BTW? What if you are an existing Smartphone user? BTW even the other option of moving to CDMA based Sprint's network to the "new" AT&T Wireless would mean a phone change. I hope Cingular has the decency to give some credit to such "dumped" customers for getting a new phone. And Oh for the people who do stick around with Cingular don't forget they are the carrier with the least committment to Windows Mobile and they will dictate policy after merger so all of AT&T's comittment to WM is in question unless Cingular clarifies that.

If I was an AT&T customer I'd start asking for some clarifications and researching alternatives.

Mike Temporale
08-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Some really strange things I noticed in that news story that hasn't been apparent before -

"The merger agreement requires the company to sell spectrum and customers worth up to $8.25 billion. That equates to dumping 10 million of the 22 million AT&T Wireless customers that Cingular is gaining in the transaction."

8O I missed that part. I think I need a vacation. I have missed a bunch of things today. :twak: Good eyes, nice catch! That makes this deal even worse for Cingular. What are they thinking? :roll:

Kris Kumar
08-13-2004, 07:58 PM
I just finished reading the news article and was surprised at the section you have pointed out. :?

What will the criteria be for this so called 'dumping'?
As you said will Cingular give them credit?

Regarding T-Mobile, they don't stop you from using Smartphones on their networks. The Level 2 and 3 support staff knows about Microsoft Smartphones (not all the models though). And they are fairly helpful and can guide you through the menus etc to troubleshoot the problem.

What is lacking in the support is the ability to sync corporate mail via wireless ActiveSync.

Kris Kumar
08-17-2004, 07:02 PM
AT&T is down but not out :-)

Just saw this news article (http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040817005224&newsLang=en) regarding agreement between AT&T and CDW-G to cater to Government customers. The primary devices would be BlackBerrys but saw MPx200 also on the list. MPx200 8O Isn't it the end of life for the MPx200?

aristoBrat
08-17-2004, 09:58 PM
How well does T-Mobile support WM Smartphones BTW? What if you are an existing Smartphone user?
FWIW, T-Mobile was able to walk me thru setting up GPRS on my UK Orange branded SPV e100 screen-by-screen. I thought that was pretty cool considering that they don't offer the phone for sale anywhere. :)

Mike Temporale
08-17-2004, 11:47 PM
How well does T-Mobile support WM Smartphones BTW? What if you are an existing Smartphone user?
FWIW, T-Mobile was able to walk me thru setting up GPRS on my UK Orange branded SPV e100 screen-by-screen. I thought that was pretty cool considering that they don't offer the phone for sale anywhere. :)

Very cool. Sounds like you had a knowledgable customer rep!