View Full Version : Bad Date? Help's On The Way

Kris Kumar
08-15-2004, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20040808/ap_on_hi_te/date_rescue_calls' target='_blank'>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20040808/ap_on_hi_te/date_rescue_calls</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The peak time for dates from hell in New York City is Friday at 8 p.m. — judging by the cell phone calls delivering emergency excuses to bolt. Truth is, they're fake "rescue" calls — now being offered by two cell phone providers, Cingular Wireless and Virgin Mobile USA. In an era of Internet-set dates, it's just customer service — a hip way to wiggle out of an uncomfortable encounter."</i><br /><br />So the next time you are on a date and your date answers a rescue call, I am afraid you may have to work on your social skills. :lol: If you are wondering what this news post is doing on Smartphone Thoughts. I think it is a useful service. It also shows that carriers are becoming more creative and offering services beyond ringtones and themes. I only wish that the carriers were creative enough to offer <i>'get out of work rescue calls'</i> or <i>'get out of house chores rescue calls'.</i> Maybe I can use this service itself for those situations. ;-) On the other hand surprised that they had to employ <i>'five people with doctorates in linguistics to dream up excuses'.</i> I can do that. What are your thoughts? Have you heard of any unique service that your carrier is offering?

aristoBrat
08-15-2004, 07:46 PM
It's kind of a cool idea, but the news story I saw said it was $4.99/month, which seems a little crazy. I think pay-per-use would be a much better way to do it... :)

Kris Kumar
08-15-2004, 08:30 PM
It's kind of a cool idea, but the news story I saw said it was $4.99/month, which seems a little crazy. I think pay-per-use would be a much better way to do it... :)

Good point..

TANKERx
08-15-2004, 10:09 PM
I already have a 'code' with my closest friends which means if any of us are in a situation which we need to get out of as soon as possible, we just text '99' and a rescue call comes rushing in.

I never said this, right?