View Full Version : Verizon i600 WM2003 Update Available Online

Kris Kumar
07-19-2004, 06:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://vzw.smithmicro.com/samsung/' target='_blank'>http://vzw.smithmicro.com/samsung/</a><br /><br /></div>Are you a Samsung i600 user?<br />Have you been sending a lot of E-Mails to Verizon technical support lately?<br />Have you been checking the Verizon website more than your favorite news site?<br />Have you been calling the Verizon stores or visiting them more often lately?<br /><br />If you answered yes to the above questions, then I have a news that is <i>guaranteed</i> to bring a <i>worry free</i> smile on your face :-) The Windows Mobile 2003 update for the Samsung i600 Smartphone can now be downloaded from the Verizon website.<br /><br />The update can be downloaded only by Verizon customers. The site prompts the visitor to enter a Verizon cell number. No other details (release notes, upgrade process) are available at this time. Please do post in this thread your comments regarding the upgrade process. Also what features do you like the most in this update.

kaps
07-19-2004, 07:21 AM
The Verizon Wireless i600 Upgrade site asks to verify the sw version of your phone. Here are the instructions from their site:

Before Upgrading, please check your software version:
1. From the Start menu, tap the Settings button.
2. On the Settings screen, tap the Phone icon.
3. From the Phone screen, tap the Etc. tab.
4. Tap the Version button.

Check if S/W version is:

S:i600.04.V.WI23
S:i600.04.V.WK05

Mine says S:i600.04.V:WH04
Does this mean that I can't upgrade my phone?

Karl

ARW
07-19-2004, 07:27 AM
Mine says S:i600.04.V:WH04
Does this mean that I can't upgrade my phone?

Karl

Same boat here. Guess a call is in order to get a newer phone with 2002 on it so I can upgrade it to 2003. Or would VZW send out an updated version saving me the effort? I believe mine was one of the first i600 released and it wasn't capable of the caller id patch, so this isn't a surprise.

kaps
07-19-2004, 07:32 AM
I couldn't do the Caller ID Patch either and I also got mine the day they came out.

I guess we have to go to the Verizon Wireless Store and have them swap out our phones! Sigh!

Karl

wirelessbeachbum
07-19-2004, 12:56 PM
I have read elsewhere that customers with your software version have been able to upgrade okay.

You will need your verizon mobile number and esn to download...if you ported in from another carrier they will need to use you MDN in place of your mobile number. (you can get this number by going into programming mode on the i600 (**772 then enter service code 000000 press the down key a few times until you see your phone number, then press it again, this number is your MDN)

MajesticNJ
07-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Uhh...read the screen guys. I had the same confusion initially. The WH04 is the PHONE version. You want the PDA version above that. Mine is WH04 for Phone and WI23 for PDA.

I am downloading the image as I type this. VERY VERY SLOW! Like 9k per second. Site must be getting swamped. I am on a tripple DS3 connection here at work.

Will give you all updates as I have them.

Good luck!

Fred

skinveen
07-19-2004, 03:38 PM
As I sit on the phone waiting for another Verizon tech to learn about the i600 my blood is begining to boil. So far she started by saying " Do you know you could just go to one of our stores to get your phone flashed?". No ****!...Now she is trying to go through the web site to see what it is that it is directing me to do. Don't you think that she should know that already! She didn't even know what S/W versions it was asking for....Okay, now they are going to call me back when they figure out why it is asking for those two versions. Are you kidding me! :evil:

MajesticNJ
07-19-2004, 03:50 PM
Upgrade complete. Went well. I was even brave and used my Boxwave Minisync cable to do it. :)

(Boxwave URL: http://www.boxwave.com/products/minisync/minisync-retractable-cable-samsung-i600_111.htm)

Running windows mobile 2003 now. One thing I can say for sure is it is much faster with response alone.

P.S. Took every bit of 4 minutes for my phone to come up at the end of the upgrade after removing and reinserting the battery. Don't worry like I did. :)

Fred

Berylium
07-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Can anyone post a mirror to the update?

-Berylium

&lt;edit> Looks like it may not be entirely "legal" to just provide a mirror to the update. So... nevermind &lt;/edit>

DanLevitan
07-19-2004, 04:28 PM
I also have the i600 version S:i600.04.V:WH04. I just got off the phone with my second Verizon tech and he told me that I need a new phone to upgrade. They are overnighting the phone to me at no charge. I'll have it by 3:00 tomorrow!

This is fine with me. I don't mind replacing my scratched phone with a brand new one!

MajesticNJ
07-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Dan, did you read my post regarding this? Can you recheck and post both version numbers here for record?

"Uhh...read the screen guys. I had the same confusion initially. The WH04 is the PHONE version. You want the PDA version above that. That is what they want you to check. Mine is WH04 for Phone and WI23 for PDA."

I also have the i600 version S:i600.04.V:WH04. I just got off the phone with my second Verizon tech and he told me that I need a new phone to upgrade. They are overnighting the phone to me at no charge. I'll have it by 3:00 tomorrow!

This is fine with me. I don't mind replacing my scratched phone with a brand new one!

ShreddedWheat
07-19-2004, 04:41 PM
I am getting an invalid ESN error? anyone get that yet?

ARW
07-19-2004, 04:47 PM
My PDA version is S:i600.04.V.WH04.13192

Anybody with this version try the update?

kaps
07-19-2004, 04:56 PM
I just talked to Samsung USA and I need to take my phone to a Verizon Wireless Store and have them reflash my ROM using a PST device that will properly set my ROM at the W123 level, allowing the upgrade to the 2003 OS.

Karl

ARW
07-19-2004, 05:18 PM
Just spent 23 minutes on hold trying to talk to wireless support at Verizon. Finally got thru to a body and the woman I spoke with said I can go ahead with the upgrade. So, I guess I'll give it a try

Fingers crossed!....

Industry Analyst
07-19-2004, 05:27 PM
The websit is malfunctioning!!! I tried to download the new PDA driver (not sure why I need it for the i600 phone but ok I will follow directions)

See:
Carefully read the Upgrade Troubleshooting Guide.
NOTE: This document provides in depth details on how to perform the upgrade, system and equipment requirements, required software applications, and troubleshooting techniques.
Download and install the Samsung PDA Driver.
Download and install Microsoft's ActiveSync 3.7.
Download and Run the Upgrade Tool.

The problem is that the ZIP file for the PDA driver claims to be 5.something MB in size, but only 2.something MB download and the ZIP is defective! Can someone PLEASE put up a mirror or send me the file in email???

I've been retrying from other PC's and either I get the same error'd ZIp file or the web page times out and nothing happens.

Mike Temporale
07-19-2004, 05:52 PM
The websit is malfunctioning!!! ...

The problem is that the ZIP file for the PDA driver claims to be 5.something MB in size, but only 2.something MB download and the ZIP is defective!

Sounds like the load on Verizon's servers is a little more than they can handle. I'm really getting the impression that Verizon along with Motorola/AT&T really under-estimated the demand for upgrades. :lol:

Try the site again in a couple hours and things should be better.

MajesticNJ
07-19-2004, 06:09 PM
You need it because the update software communicates with the phone via a serial connection I believe. That's why it disables the USB in Activesync and enables communication via COM3.

I am curious as to why the upgrade cannot be done with AS3.7.1 though.

The websit is malfunctioning!!! I tried to download the new PDA driver (not sure why I need it for the i600 phone but ok I will follow directions)

See:
Carefully read the Upgrade Troubleshooting Guide.
NOTE: This document provides in depth details on how to perform the upgrade, system and equipment requirements, required software applications, and troubleshooting techniques.
Download and install the Samsung PDA Driver.
Download and install Microsoft's ActiveSync 3.7.
Download and Run the Upgrade Tool.

The problem is that the ZIP file for the PDA driver claims to be 5.something MB in size, but only 2.something MB download and the ZIP is defective! Can someone PLEASE put up a mirror or send me the file in email???

I've been retrying from other PC's and either I get the same error'd ZIp file or the web page times out and nothing happens.

ghorn
07-19-2004, 06:43 PM
I know alot of you have successfully upgraded your phone. I went through the upgrade process and everything looked good. Now the phone sits at a white screen for over 45minutes.

I called Verizon and they have had at least 30 phones that are in the same position as mine and they are working with Samsung right now to see if there is some workaround. If not they are shipping new phones out Fed Ex.

They said that there is a problem with the rom image that is on the download site.

Just a word of caution for those anxious to try the upgrade.

skinveen
07-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Well, after running out of time waiting for Verizon to call back, I went to the local store. The tech informed me that this would be the first time that he had tried to upgrade a i600. :roll: After reading through the directions he proceeded with the upgrade only to find that he had fried the phone :oops: . He said something about, "that must have been the bug they were talking about." and went in the back and got me a new phone with 2003 already loaded! Alls well that ends well.

Mike Temporale
07-19-2004, 07:38 PM
... After reading through the directions he proceeded with the upgrade only to find that he had fried the phone :oops: . He said something about, "that must have been the bug they were talking about." and went in the back and got me a new phone with 2003 already loaded!

8O fried... :twak:

Industry Analyst
07-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Well I got the USB drivers installed and then I continued to follow the directions and run the upgrade tool. I am on page 3 of 5 of the upgrade tool where there is a button that you click to download the OS upgrade img file to your desktop.

IT DOES NOTHING. No *.img file to be found!

UGH. I almost wish my phone WAS fried so I could just take it to the store and swap it...

Industry Analyst
07-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Just redid the entire process, and still the same problem, does anyone have the *.IMG file that is supposed to get saved to the desktop (or anywhere for that matter) after clicking on that one button on page 3 of 5 of the install tool?

BTW, Yes, I passed all the checks on page 2 successfully, I have the right USB drivers, I have the right Activesync, I have the file on my desktop as if that should really matter, but still

IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!

kaps
07-19-2004, 08:46 PM
I just got back from the Seattle Verizon Wireless Store at Southcenter and they got a report that the update is frying phone and won't even attempt it. Another Smartphone Thoughts reader and myself were told to cann back tomorrow, as they hoped to have the problem resolved in 24 hours.

What patience, I want 2003 NOW!

Karl

Jerry Raia
07-19-2004, 08:58 PM
All of you relax, we have the worry free guarantee working for us :razzing:
Looks like the site might be offline now.

wombat90
07-19-2004, 09:31 PM
I have been attempting to download the upgrade for hours now. Did Verizon decide it was frying too many phones?

Jerry Raia
07-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Well i'm trying one more time to get it. It is still there just so slow it times out sometimes. As part of my worry free gaurantee im getting 0.8kb/sec download speed on the zip file. The first copy I got was corrupted.

Update: The second attempt failed. Third time is a charm and I'm getting a whopping 4.8kb/sec this time!!!!

Update2: Well the third attempt died at about 3%.

Keep up the good work Verizon!

dollardr
07-19-2004, 10:53 PM
I did the upgrade without any problems. The download of the image file crapped out a couple of times but when I finally did get it to download it only took 2 hours on a T3 connection. I am a technology professional and I can't imagine your average cell phone user doing this upgrade.

There are some nice cosmetic features:

-MP3's on my SD card can be set as ringtones
-Different ringtones for different callers
-Default home page now indicates new voice mails
-Settings option is on the first menu page
-New Profiles (outdoor has replaced loud)
-New Profile called Automatic

Haven't had a chance to check out the upgrade but the phone is still some what slow and Internet access still sucks.

Anyone have any differences they can share? Is there documentation explaining the differences?

Jerry Raia
07-19-2004, 10:54 PM
I have the image file, i just cant seem to get the the darn zip file with the usb drivers. :(

dollardr
07-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Besides distinctive ringtones not working (according to another forum), by default it only includes the built in ringtones as options. For other ringtones I think you would have to copy them into the Application\Sounds directory so they show up as an option.

Nice feature is single column viewing in Internet Explorer so websites not designed for PDA's are viewable, although slow.

Matilda444
07-20-2004, 12:09 AM
This has become an exercise in MUCH frustration. Two Verizon "full service" stores - neither has the upgrade. Store Tech says; "My computer never connects to the Samsung phone anyway". Geezzzzzz. Call Phone Tech - who INSISTS all the stores have the software.

I was able to download the software before the site went down. Downloaded it to two different machines. I get to step 4/5 and it keeps telling me to plug the dock into power and USB. Well, it IS!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :twisted:

Industry Analyst
07-20-2004, 12:35 AM
Can someone put the IMG file somewhere else online PLEASE! I'm happy to host the USB drivers on my server if someone needs them.

The USB drivers at at: http://www.smiley.net/files/samsung_mcci_driver.zip

5886kb in size.

How large is the IMG file anyway? When I click on the button to download the IMG, nothing seems to happen, I never get any sort of download to start or anything so I have no clue what it is "supposed" to do.

Jerry Raia
07-20-2004, 01:13 AM
The image file is 24mb. I got it from another location. I finally got the driver files and im trying it as i type this. its about half done. I'll post when its done.

coaldat6
07-20-2004, 01:14 AM
If you don't mind my asking, what other location? : )

Jerry Raia
07-20-2004, 01:18 AM
Here is the link to the image file i used. I'll let you know in a momet if it worked.

UPDATE!!!!
It worked!!!!!

http://www.inetron.com/vzw

eddiem5
07-20-2004, 01:28 AM
Well, here is my experience..

1) I own (between my wife and I) two phones with version WH04.
2) The upgrade does not work as advertised (I tried after a long time doing the slow, slow download).
3) Called Verizon, they want to send a refurb phone to replace them. This doesn't seem right to me. Get a refurb phone when I paid $600 6 months ago.
4) Called Samsung, they want me to send the phones to a repair center for upgrade of the firmware only..

Man, am I sorry I got this phone...

-ed-

Mike Temporale
07-20-2004, 01:34 AM
You might want to swing by your local Verizon outlet. Some people are seem to be getting a new phone when the store can't upgrade it. It's worth a try.

Industry Analyst
07-20-2004, 01:38 AM
Just created a brick with it... The image file loaded what looked like twice through the same process then came back that some portion of the install had failed and to start over, only problem is that phone wont boot up now so I can't get by the part of the install where it checks for an activsynch connection, it is as if the phone is stuck in USB direct send mode or something...

wombat90
07-20-2004, 01:41 AM
Verizon has posted this on the web page:

"Thank you for your interest in the Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 upgrade for Verizon Wireless Samsung devices. We are experiencing extremely high demand for the software at this time. In an effort to bolster the reliability of the site and allow more users to download the software, we are enhancing this site to support more customers. We are aggressively working to return the site to full capability and appreciate your patience and understanding."

If anything positive comes out of this extremely high demand, perhapse it will prompt Verizon to carry a larger selection of smartphones. Or at least invest more into their wireless data customer service department.

Got a question for you all, the page crashed before I could even read where to run the install program from. Can someone fill me in?

TS

coaldat6
07-20-2004, 01:41 AM
Here is the link to the image file i used. I'll let you know in a momet if it worked.

UPDATE!!!!
It worked!!!!!

http://www.inetron.com/vzw

what do i do with the image file?

Jerry Raia
07-20-2004, 01:47 AM
This is the image file the install program makes you download. No one can seem to get it from the site the program links to. This is an alternate location for the image.

All I can tell you is I used it on my phone and i now have 2003 working perfectly.

Industry Analyst
07-20-2004, 03:14 AM
I somehow got the device to boot into 2003, I guess it did complete OK after all.

I am having one problem though, when trying to sync directly wiht my Exchange 2003 server I am getting the following error:

Unable to Connect: Verify your dial-up or proxy settings are correct, and try again.

WHERE DO I SET THESE??? I tried data connection settings as either data only or automatic and it still produced the same error.

The actual error code is: CONNMGR_36 (E_CONNMGR_NOPATHTODESTINATION) No path exists for the destination. Verify that your dial-up settings or your proxy settings are correct, and then try again.

Any ideas?

Industry Analyst
07-20-2004, 03:39 AM
I somehow got the device to boot into 2003, I guess it did complete OK after all.

I am having one problem though, when trying to sync directly wiht my Exchange 2003 server I am getting the following error:

Unable to Connect: Verify your dial-up or proxy settings are correct, and try again.

WHERE DO I SET THESE??? I tried data connection settings as either data only or automatic and it still produced the same error.

The actual error code is: CONNMGR_36 (E_CONNMGR_NOPATHTODESTINATION) No path exists for the destination. Verify that your dial-up settings or your proxy settings are correct, and then try again.

Any ideas?

DOH! forgot to append the server name to the domain name so it could be found... it just synched, so far so good, haven't really played with the new 2003 features yet...

DanLevitan
07-20-2004, 03:59 AM
I did, but I can't find any more information. All mine says is: Smartphone 2002 Version 3.0 (Build 13192) Radio Version i600.04.v.WH04

Then there's info about the ROM update version and manufacturer number that don't seem to be relevant.

Eventhough the tech I spoke to is overnighting me a new phone, my brother who bought his i600 the same day was told by a tech to go ahead and upgrade eventhough he has the wrong version. He has choosen to sit on the sidelines for a few days.

Dan, did you read my post regarding this? Can you recheck and post both version numbers here for record?

"Uhh...read the screen guys. I had the same confusion initially. The WH04 is the PHONE version. You want the PDA version above that. That is what they want you to check. Mine is WH04 for Phone and WI23 for PDA."

Jerry Raia
07-20-2004, 04:09 AM
I had the wrong version too but my upgrade went fine.

pmin
07-20-2004, 04:22 AM
I downloaded the images from the alternate site, but don't know how to open them. I'm still awaiting the download from the Verizon site. Can anyone give me some clue as to how to open the .img file?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry Raia
07-20-2004, 04:27 AM
You can't "open" the img file. You still need the installer and the driver files from verizon. The installer will ask for the img file during the installation.

ARW
07-20-2004, 05:31 AM
Don't want to bore anyone, but here is my experience with the upgrade.

My phone was one of the first released so it has the old ROM. I hesitated at doing the upgrade but called VZW and was told by a wireless tech rep that it was okay to upgrade with my ROM.

So, I tried the upgrade process. It was taking forever to download the 24mb image file, but I got the sucessfully downloaded message. Only thing was it indicated a 5mb file. Tried the upgrade and it never finished, despite letting it run for 40 minutes.

I rebooted the phone and nothing had been altered. Back to square one.

Next I stopped by a full service VZW store where the tech looked at me like I was from Mars when I told him I wanted. He indicated that he had no way of connecting to an i600 and there was no notice of any upgrade being available. I left without making any head way. On the way home I called VZW again in an attempt to have them send me another phone with an up to date ROM. After half an hour on the phone with a couple of different people I was again no where.

I then hit the smartphone news group to see what was up. Noticed there was an alternate site to download the image file from. Downloaded it, ran the upgrade and received a message that one component of the upgrade didn't work. After removing the battery and waiting for almost 10 minutes I had an upgraded i600. Everything seems to work, but I notice that the phone version has not changed, only the PDA side.

I'm not going to argue. It's unbelieveable what crap VZW puts out for it's customers. Were it not for their superior footprint I'd be gone to try someone else.

I can let everyone know that Caller ID is working as it's supposed to now, both inside and out. IE appears to be slower than the previous version, at least thru pass thru. The annoying boot noises are no longer part of the process. Most all of the 3rd party apps I had seem to work on 2003.

I'll post more observations as I come across them.

Jerry Raia
07-20-2004, 06:14 AM
Even though I was successful the entire process was an abomination. There is no excuse for such a poor upgrade method. There is even less of an excuse for such a lack of knowledge on just about all of verizon’s personnel as to how this was supposed to be done.

Lets not forget that they were GTE. The worst phone company I have ever had to deal with. They are still living up to their name.

Kris Kumar
07-20-2004, 12:31 PM
It's unbelieveable what crap VZW puts out for it's customers. Were it not for their superior footprint I'd be gone to try someone else.

I guess a lot of VZ customers echo the same feeling.

But then every carrier has one/two positives, because of which they can hold on to their customers. And customers are forced to overlook the negatives.

Industry Analyst
07-20-2004, 01:04 PM
FWIW,

We usually recommend to our clients NOT to attempt upgrades because of all of the problems inherent in doing so. This goes for PocketPC, etc. I see that our recommendation will not change with regard to the i600 either. I'm still evaluating the functionality of the upgrade.

Jerry Raia
07-20-2004, 01:20 PM
I wouldnt let Seymour Cray do the upgrade!

Mike Temporale
07-20-2004, 01:26 PM
I wouldnt let Seymour Cray do the upgrade!

:rotfl:

MajesticNJ
07-20-2004, 01:36 PM
Yeah...one of which is the phone actually works (has service) when you need it. :)

It's unbelieveable what crap VZW puts out for it's customers. Were it not for their superior footprint I'd be gone to try someone else.

I guess a lot of VZ customers echo the same feeling.

But then every carrier has one/two positives, because of which they can hold on to their customers. And customers are forced to overlook the negatives.

Kris Kumar
07-20-2004, 03:48 PM
I just found out that the new Wireless Sync software is out...

http://sync.verizonwireless.com

And I hear it is quite powerful compared to the older version. But I am told that it's doesn't quite work the way it should.

I believe this one bypasses the Desktop ActiveSync (the older version used the ActiveSync agent on your PC). And provides Normal Sync and Express Sync options.

Please do post your comments and feedback.

Jerry Raia
07-20-2004, 05:42 PM

And I hear it is quite powerful compared to the older version. But I am told that it's doesn't quite work the way it should.

I believe this one bypasses the Desktop ActiveSync (the older version used the ActiveSync agent on your PC). And provides Normal Sync and Express Sync options.

I get this error when I try to register on that site:

Error connecting to server localhost. This server may be not available, or the proxy settings in the admin console may not be configured properly.

Is this another part of the worry free guarantee or am I doing something stupid?

aristoBrat
07-20-2004, 05:43 PM
-New Profile called Automatic
Wow, that wasn't there before? 8O

This profile will automatically switch your phone between 'Normal' and 'Meeting' profiles based on your calendar events where your time set to 'busy'.

Winterfresh
07-20-2004, 06:59 PM
I've been having trouble downloading the update. Everytime I try to start the process it tells me I don't "have a valid Verizon mobile number" and I can't proceed...

So I call Support and lo-and-behold, if you have ported your number from another carrier, you can't apply the download from the web and have to go to a retail store. Its funny because my MIN # is actually a nuber for Lousiana (Im in San Diego).

It would appear that customers in my area code (619) who have ported, can't download this update! In addition, NONE of the Verizon stores in my locale have this update...most are like "WTF are you talking about?"

POOP!

jsdkms
07-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Is anyone else having problems with upgrading their phone? Mine hangs up when attempting to install? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff :cry:

Berylium
07-20-2004, 08:43 PM
Can anyone post a mirror to the samsung_i600_upgradetool.zip file? I have all the other pieces of the update but the Verizon site keeps timing out on the Upgrade Tool download.

-Berylium

ChrisWalker
07-20-2004, 11:55 PM
I get the following error:

The ESN entered does not match an active Verizon Wireless Samsung i600 or i700 device. Please contact customer care or visit your local Retail store for assistance.

Apparently, a lot of people are getting it. I just spoke with Verizon and the data specialists said that it's a problem on Samsung's end (?) and that they hope to have it fixed in a few days.

I bought a new i600 from Verizon and they sent me the Treo 600 instead. I swapped it out for a brand new i600 at the Verizon store, but it was on the 2002 OS. They told me it would take about four hours to upgrade the phone, and so it would be better to do it at home.

Sigh.

Chris

ChrisWalker
07-21-2004, 12:52 AM
You know, the stores say "your problem becomes our problem," but I'm not sure if I believe it :)

I dropped off my phone about 5:30 or so. They told me I would need to wait at least 2 hours to get my phone upgraded. I'm just hoping they do it right, and that they really have the update. :)

It has now taken roughly six hours to get my phone upgraded to WM2003.

Chris

eddiem5
07-21-2004, 02:52 AM
Hi All,

1) I posted earlier about my problems with Verizon customer service which was terrible and useless. I even was transferred to an escalation manager, WHO DID NOTHING.. I don't know why I waited on hold to talk to him.. Net, net, they wanted me to get a refurb replacement to solve the problem with the upgrade not working.

2) I called Samsung who told me to send me phones (I own two) to Plano Tx for a prom upgrade and than after returning it to me, I could finish the 2003 upgrade.. Sure seems like silly that they couldn't just do the whole thing if I had to send it away...

3) Today, I got up early and went to my local Verizon store.. Believe it or not, the tech there upgraded my prom levels and than the mobil 2003 in about an hour for two phones. He needed to call for some support when the upgrade didn't work at first (I played dumb) but than did the prom level upgrade and everything worked.

The tech was great. Anxious to please and apologies galore from him about taking so long.. I tipped him a 20 (he didn't want to accept it, but I made him)..

All in all, these phones have been a major dissapointment and waiting 7 months for the upgrade to find the support for it so disasterous was a bummer.. The local store and tech saved my a lot of frustration.

The people at customer service were terrible and while I have been a loyal customer since 1991 (Airtouch first), I am considering if there is a cell company that actually supports their long term, paying on time customers who purchase $1200 worth of phones and than deal with this crap!!

Bottom line, the upgrade is worth it. No more of the caller id problems, sluggish response and sometimes trips into never never land.

Thanks,

I hope this helps someone besides me,

This list is great,

-ed-[/b]

Jerry Raia
07-21-2004, 03:02 AM
The only time I have ever gotten anywhere with these huge companies is to send a letter to the president of the company via snail mail.

We can post and vent here all we want. A real letter does get attention.

Everytime I have done this I have gotten a response and results.

Macguy59
07-21-2004, 03:08 AM
Other then the hassle of of having to revert back to AS 2.7, the upgrade went flawlessly. From start to finish it took less then 20 minutes.

jaybo_nomad
07-21-2004, 03:09 AM
My (partly successful) experience:

Upgrade appeared to proceed just fine, but at the very last step the install dialog on the PC read:

"A portion of the download failed. Click the finish icon. Remove the device from the cradle. Reset the device. Perform the upgrade again".

At this stage, the PDA was upgraded correctly, but the phone portion was still at:

S:i600.04 V:WH04

I tried the whole sequence again, but again the phone upgrade seems to have failed. PDA upgrade worked fine though.

Any suggestions?

Macguy59
07-21-2004, 03:16 AM

Upgrade appeared to proceed just fine, but at the very last step the install dialog on the PC read:

"A portion of the download failed. Click the finish icon. Remove the device from the cradle. Reset the device. Perform the upgrade again".

At this stage, the PDA was upgraded correctly, but the phone portion was still at:

I tried the whole sequence again, but again the phone upgrade seems to have failed. PDA upgrade worked fine though.

Any suggestions?

I'll ask the obvious question. Did you follow the instructions and do the steps in the correct order?

ChrisWalker
07-21-2004, 03:28 AM
Okay, quick question. I just got back from Verizon Wireless and they said they could upgrade "Windows" on the phone, but they didn't have a firmware update.

Here are the versions I now have on my phone:

S/W version
PDA
S:i600.04.V.XE18.13349
Phone
S:i600.04 V:WK05

H/W version
H:i600.04 V.Q.
PRL version
P:50175 E:50019

According to the WM2003 upgrade website, the phone should be upgraded to version "Phone - S:i600.04 V:XE18," right? Am I going to need to download the update and do it manually? Is it okay to run the PDA update without the Phone update?

What exactly does the 'Phone update' update?

Chris

Kris Kumar
07-21-2004, 04:30 AM
Here's an alternative Download URL provided by Verizon. It seems they are still seeing a lot of download activity on their main server.

http://vz1cms.smithmicro.net/dev/samsung/

The previous one works too.

http://vzw.smithmicro.com/samsung/

jaybo_nomad
07-21-2004, 05:03 AM

Any suggestions?

I'll ask the obvious question. Did you follow the instructions and do the steps in the correct order?

Yes, I printed out the full .pdf instructions and followed them exactly. It was slightly confusing whether ActiveSync was to be connected during the update, since this is not mentioned explicitely in the "1.3 Start Upgrade Progress" section. I tried it both ways and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I'd guess the the Phone upgrade failed because I have an incorrect hardware/firmware version, especially since some of the earlier posts on this thread imply that Verizon was swapping some phones rather than having the customer upgrade.

kaps
07-21-2004, 05:51 AM
I had this same problem but after waiting about five minutes my phone reconnected with the PC and I simply reran all the steps and my update completed. I did nothing magic but used a lot of patience and prayer thinking I fried my phone.

Karl 8O

jaybo_nomad
07-21-2004, 09:31 AM

Any suggestions?

Yes, I printed out the full .pdf instructions and followed them exactly. It was slightly confusing whether ActiveSync was to be connected during the update, since this is not mentioned explicitely in the "1.3 Start Upgrade Progress" section. I tried it both ways and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I'd guess the the Phone upgrade failed because I have an incorrect hardware/firmware version, especially since some of the earlier posts on this thread imply that Verizon was swapping some phones rather than having the customer upgrade.

After multiple attempts, it finally worked due to one of the following:

1. After uninstalling USB (MCCI) driver and rebooting, delete suspicious remaining Samsung registry keys. Then reinstall MCCI 4.16 drivers. The theory here is that older USB/modem drivers are loading.
2. Manually upgrade both USB and modem drivers in Device Manager by pointing to the MCCI 4.16 installation directory.

I'm not sure which, if either of the above steps were critical. But just before the successful installation, I could toggle "Settings/PhoneSettings/Other/USB" between "ActiveSync" and "External Data Call" and watch the corresponding driver load and unload: "WindowsCE USB Devices" and Modems\Samsung CDMA Modem". I don't believe this happened before the PHONE installation succeeded.

See also the threads on www.pdaphonehome.com for help.

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?s=44030c906eddf9e6e49a2fbc6b5c1c20&threadid=28229

Industry Analyst
07-21-2004, 12:40 PM
That really begs the question that if the phone portion of the upgrade doesn't complete (which is apparently what happened in my case as well) and just the pda portion / Microsoft software portion completes what will the end result be? What feature/function won't work as planned? Can the phone side of the equation be flashed at a Verizon store after the PDA side has been upgraded?

Inquiring minds want to know...

vigitalmoe
07-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Does anyone know if this is this the "second editon" version of Smartphone 2003?

Mike Temporale
07-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Does anyone know if this is this the "second editon" version of Smartphone 2003?

Nope, Just plain old Windows Mobile 2003.

ARW
07-21-2004, 08:37 PM
That really begs the question that if the phone portion of the upgrade doesn't complete (which is apparently what happened in my case as well) and just the pda portion / Microsoft software portion completes what will the end result be? What feature/function won't work as planned? Can the phone side of the equation be flashed at a Verizon store after the PDA side has been upgraded?

Inquiring minds want to know...

My phone software did not get updated when the PDA was and I have had no problems, at least that I've run across. The only thing that might not be working is the data dormant ability. If I've got a data session going, even if I am not sending/receiving anything a call coming in will go right to vmail.

ChrisWalker
07-22-2004, 05:11 AM
Same thing here -- the Verizon store could only update the PDA side, not the phone side. I'm excited for the dormant data session capability!

Also, has anyone been able to get Wireless Sync to work? It's a super-cool concept!

I just want it to sync the contacts and calendar items from Outlook for me. When I try to set it up (w/ Outlook 2003), it tells me that it can't open the Outlook address book. I am even signed in with Administrative rights.

Chris

dollardr
07-22-2004, 05:49 PM
I get the same error message - any ideas?

I get this error when I try to register on that site:

Error connecting to server localhost. This server may be not available, or the proxy settings in the admin console may not be configured properly.

Is this another part of the worry free guarantee or am I doing something stupid?

Kris Kumar
07-22-2004, 06:04 PM
What about this URL...

https://www.wirelesssync.vzw.com

Sorry I don't have an i600. So can't confirm or give more explanation. A bunch of people at work here have i600s and they were exchanging this URL. I know it works for them.

wirelessbeachbum
07-22-2004, 10:31 PM
What about this URL...

https://www.wirelesssync.vzw.com

Sorry I don't have an i600. So can't confirm or give more explanation. A bunch of people at work here have i600s and they were exchanging this URL. I know it works for them.

wirelesssync.vzw.com is the correct url, the other sync.verizonwireless.com looks the same but is not functional...the disc that comes with the phone links to wirelesssync.vzw.com, I guess since the old software had this url giving the new software the same makes the most since.

timdavey
07-23-2004, 12:25 AM
This may be old news but I thought I wouldl post my experience with the upgrade to 2003. After reading all of the issues everyone seemed to have as well as not having the "required" versions of software for the phone upgrade, I decided not to attempt it myself and took it to the my Verizon store. The tech while nice, had not yet done the upgrade but seemed smart enough. Well, 3 hours and two phones later, he still had not completed an an upgrade. I came back to the and watched him try one last time and he was able to get myoriginal phone's PDA s/w upgraded but not the phone s/w. My phone was functioning so I took it home determined to try on on my own. I had pulled down all the required s/w and instructions. Some of the instructions conflict with each other so, it was confusing at first. With all of that being said, I ending up using the instructions from Samsung and the image files posted in earlier links. It worked like a champ and took about 20 minutes. My phone is now up on 2003 and rocking. The auto sync for email actually works as advertised and it genuinely seems to be faster and easier on the battery.

In closing, just want to say thank to all of you who hunted down the supporting doc's and software. Hopefully, others will be able to benefit as well.

Thanks!

ChrisWalker
07-23-2004, 01:10 AM
Just FYI, a Verizon rep (who verified it with the data people at Verizon) said that using Wireless Sync will send a bunch of SMS messages to the phone, and that we will get charged for each of those -- even though they are not normal SMS messages, but a function of WirelessSync.

I don't really believe it; that sounds insane. But she was certain, and told me that the data guys confirmed that there's a big cost with doing a lot of WirelessSync.

I wish someone from Verizon or someone in the know would chip in on that one!

Chris

wirelessbeachbum
07-23-2004, 02:43 AM
Just FYI, a Verizon rep (who verified it with the data people at Verizon) said that using Wireless Sync will send a bunch of SMS messages to the phone, and that we will get charged for each of those -- even though they are not normal SMS messages, but a function of WirelessSync.

I don't really believe it; that sounds insane. But she was certain, and told me that the data guys confirmed that there's a big cost with doing a lot of WirelessSync.

I wish someone from Verizon or someone in the know would chip in on that one!

Chris

If you enable the push sync with wireless sync or with exchange 2003, the servers will send and sms message to your phone when you receive a message. (you can configure option settings to determine at what intervals to have your device sync.)

I set mine to sync every thirty minutes during the day, and push sync at night, this seems to control battery life, and I stay on top of my email pretty well.

If you are using the pop3 option of wireless sync, and not the desktop software you should probably just set your phone to sync every hour, I believe that is the interval that the wireless sync product checks your pop3 server.

Either way, get a text messaging plan added to your account...or it's 2 cents every time you receive a sms kick message.

Jerry Raia
07-23-2004, 02:55 AM
I just sync every 10 minutes. I dont see the need for the push myself.

seagull
07-23-2004, 06:51 PM
After two attempts, I successfully upgraded to Win2003. Overall, I am very happy with the performance of the phone and the OS. However, I keep getting the following error:

"ERROR: Can't find 'autorun" (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available"

I have no idea why I keep getting this after making or answering a call, or powering on the phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

PeterDur
07-23-2004, 10:48 PM
"ERROR: Can't find 'autorun" (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available"

I have been getting this too. I have the original SD card still in the phone and it has an AUTORUN.EXE under the 2577 folder that sets up the Links shortcut and prompts to install the demoware on the card. I used ActiveSync to rename this to AUTORUN.EXE.NOT and I haven't seen the message since.

My guess is that this AUTORUN.EXE has some dependency on the 2002 version, though I can't explain why it runs every now and then, as if the phone thinks the SD card has been inserted.

ChrisWalker
07-24-2004, 12:56 AM
Okay, Verizon now has a fix for all of us who get the "unrecognized ESN" error trying to download the update.

Do this:

1. Call 611
2. Press 0, 1, talk to a rep
3. Tell them you need to talk to "Wireless Data Technical Support" because their download site for Windows Mobile 2003 is not accepting your ESN number, and they are the ones who can fix that.
4. When you get to WDTS, ask for someone who specialized in Windows Media 2003. They will give you a temporary ESN number which will let you download the software, and will even walk you through the process.

I'm doing it right now, but my phone is going goofy with the update (probably because the store updated half of it and not all of it -- just the PDA side).

Chris

ChrisWalker
07-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Just FYI, in order to get my "half-updated" WM2003 phone to update, I had to hard reset my phone, install the Samsung USB drivers (after setting the phone to External Data Call temporarily), hard reset my phone again, and do the upgrade from my computer. I'm not sure why it finally "took," but I now have a fully upgraded phone.

One interesting thing: it turns out that dormant data sessions don't really let you surf the web while allowing incoming calls. You have to have been not doing anything for a few seconds for the call to come through. It looks like if the phone is doing even its own Wireless Sync and a call comes in, it will go straight to voicemail.

I'm hoping this isn't the case, but it's what my preliminary tests are showing. Also, I really like having the "flip phone" answer calls when I open the phone, so I set the phone up that way -- but it looks like that disables dormant data sessions when I close the phone because it wants to be "hung up."

Interesting stuff.

Chris

akod
07-27-2004, 01:51 AM
Interesting.

The stores here in the SF Bay Area are refusing to perform any sort of flash rom updates. They claim they have never been allowed to and have never even had the cable to do so. After literally hours on the phone with multiple support reps, they finally sent me a new phone with the newer software. All in all the reps knew nothing about the phone or the operating system and the folks in the store were not any better. A REALLY nasty VZN experience - again. :x :cry:

The phone that they sent me ? Still an old version of the software wa son it. BUT - I tried the 2003 upgrade and even though the upgrade program says something did not work install correctly, I can tell you that I have SP 2003 installed and everything seems to be working 100% perfectly. Frankly if someone would make a phone that had a decent calendar that sync'd with Outlook and had a speakerphone, I'd be running to it.

akod
07-27-2004, 01:53 AM
Someone said that "Different ringtones for different callers" and even that accessing ringtones on the SD are both possible after the SP 2003 upgarde.

Is this true? How is it done?

Thanks!

Mike Temporale
07-27-2004, 01:56 AM
Someone said that "Different ringtones for different callers" and even that accessing ringtones on the SD are both possible after the SP 2003 upgarde.

Is this true? How is it done?

Check out this thread (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5964&highlight=) for more information on how to do custom ringtones.

akod
07-27-2004, 02:00 AM
Thanks. How 'bout accessing ringtones as sounds stored on the SD/MMC card?