View Full Version : GPS for i600

ChrisWalker
07-18-2004, 07:33 AM
MobilePlanet is selling a GPS SDIO card. Any chance this will work with the new WM2003 upgrade?

http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?cat_id=101&cat_name=Pocket+PC+Devices&pf_id=MP730960&dept_id=2380&listing=1

That would be _seriously_ cool!

Chris

Mike Temporale
07-18-2004, 01:35 PM
That would be _seriously_ cool!

Agreed. But I don't see any mention of Smartphone support on that page. It looks like a Pocket PC only device. I know that some people have doen GPS with the Smartphone, just not sure what device they used.

Check out this (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5852) thread where a Smartphone combined with a GPS and Bluetooth was used to track a runner in a marathon.

wirelessbeachbum
07-18-2004, 04:50 PM
When I read the release notes for the new OS, I did read that they removed the menu that linked to bluetooth connections.

I don't think they removed any support, but since their is no internal modem, I figure it was probably wise to remove that from the menu, to keep from having as many support questions...ie..people calling in saying my bluetooth is not working etc.

I would like a sdio bluetooth modem with a gig of onboard memory, that would complete the phone...not so much for gps, but for bluetooth handsfree.

lorienferris
07-19-2004, 03:15 AM
From waht I have read, the i600 has GPS built into the phone. This is probably not true GPS, i.e. it dosn't receive communications from GPS sattelites, but instead AGPS which utilizes cell phone tower triangulation. I'm not sure, though, and some further testing of the phone running say Mapopolis Beta for Smartphone might give you the answer.

I once owned a SDIO GPS from Pharos, but couldn't use it due to lack of SDIO support on my pocket pc. I have heard that it dosn't work well, but that could be due to interference from whatever device it was pluged into. I would expect a phone to produce a lot of interference since it is transmitting radio signals.