View Full Version : Bluetooth via SDIO on i600 w/ WM2003?

ChrisWalker
07-18-2004, 06:34 AM
Okay, Windows Mobile 2003 supports Bluetooth, right?

And the i600 has a true SDIO slot . . .

So is there any chance of using a Bluetooth SDIO card with the i600 to enable Bluetooth headsets, or at least a Bluetooth serial connection?

Chris

Kris Kumar
07-18-2004, 06:45 AM
I think it is possible provided the BT SD card manufacturer provides you the Smartphone driver for the BT SD card. I don't think I haven't seen any vendor providing Smartphone driver version for BT cards.

WM2003 has the Bluetooth manager interface and support, provided the BT hardware and driver is present.

timdavey
07-23-2004, 12:32 AM
In the release notes I have read for 2003 that are specific to Verizon, they have removed the Bluetooth menu. Not sure why they did this and definitely disappointed because I was hoping for Bluetooth and WiFi support with the upgrade.

Kris Kumar
07-23-2004, 04:12 AM
In the release notes I have read for 2003 that are specific to Verizon, they have removed the Bluetooth menu. Not sure why they did this and definitely disappointed because I was hoping for Bluetooth and WiFi support with the upgrade.

You should not worry about it. I am sure the SD BT card vendor will provide you with the BT manager and driver, I mean all the necessary software to make the phone tick with BT.

The bigger worry is who that manufacturer is or when that will happen?

ChrisWalker
07-23-2004, 04:29 AM

You should not worry about it. I am sure the SD BT card vendor will provide you with the BT manager and driver, I mean all the necessary software to make the phone tick with BT.

The bigger worry is who that manufacturer is or when that will happen?

I wrote to Socket and they didn't seem like they had any plans to support SmartPhone 2003 with their CF Bluetooth card.

I hope they do!

Chris

Bugwart
07-23-2004, 04:30 AM
If enough i600 owners tell the few BT card vendors that many of us will buy a BT card IF they write the driver software, then one of these vendors will provide the driver.

So all you people who want a BT SDIO card, start writing emails to the BT card manufacturers.

Bugwart
07-28-2004, 02:24 AM
Socket responded to my email asking about drivers for WM 2003. Here is what they said:

Thank you for contacting Socket Communications, Inc. Unfortunately, our SDIO cards are not supported in devices running the SmartPhone OS. There are no current plans to begin adding this support.

Please feel free to contact me if you should need any additional assistance.

Kindest Regards,

Susan Osorio
Socket Communications, Inc.
37400 Central Court
Newark, CA 94560-3444
(510) 744-2711
[email protected]

Socket Website: www.socketcom.com

If anyone is interested in having BT on the i600, this is one person to write. If they get enough potential customers asking for a driver, they will most likely create one.

Winterfresh
07-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Well, the engineering group at Socket has indicated that there are plans for WM2003 and eventual smartphone support. However, they couldnt' tell me when and even if I had that information, I couldnt share it. Sowwie.

Don't count Socket out and writing to Susan can only help the cause.

Damn NDA's.

Bugwart
07-28-2004, 08:10 PM
Since Susan responded, I feel that it is a good sign that Socket will respond to customer requests!

Kris Kumar
07-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Which Smartphones other than the i600 have SDIO support?

ChrisWalker
07-29-2004, 01:14 AM
Which Smartphones other than the i600 have SDIO support?

I think the others have Bluetooth built-in, which negates a lot of the need for SDIO.

But I'd certainly buy one.

Chris

Bugwart
07-29-2004, 07:51 AM
I believe that the Motorola MPx220, MIO, HTC and SPV all include BT.

The MPx220, HTC, and MIO are all made by OFDMs in Taiwan.