View Full Version : Rumor Mill Update: Where Is The Samsung i600 WM2003 Update?

Kris Kumar
07-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Yesterday we had informed you that according to an e-mail from Verizon, the <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=39573">Samsung i600 WM2003 update</a> would be released today, 12th July 2004. If you are wondering where the update is? Here's the update on the story. Once again thanks to Robert for writing to Verizon and posting the response on the <a href="http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp">microsoft.public.smartphone newsgroup.</a><br /><br />Here's what the Verizon Wireless Data Technical Support has to say regarding the much awaited update:<br /><br />"We apologize for the delay, it looks like <i>the upgrade may not be available for a few more days</i>. We are in the process of providing our stores the necessary equipment for processing the 2003 upgrade for the i600 and i700. <i>Please check with a retail store in your area first, as there may be the off-chance that they have the upgrade already.</i>"<br /><br />I liked the part where it says "<i>there may be the off-chance that they have the update already.</i>" :?

dollardr
07-13-2004, 01:09 AM
I can't recall the main differences or advantages between 2002 and 2003. Can anyone give me a link or shed some light? Normally I would just upgrade but I am concerned about one app that I need and not sure if will run under 2003.

Thanks.

jeffreymcmanus
07-13-2004, 02:46 AM
My understanding is that always-on email is the big advantage. .NET compact framework for developers will be nice, and MIDI ringtones, too, I think, although that's a "nice-to-have" for me.

Here's a MSFT page (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/about/tours/ppc/2003/default.mspx) that has a profile of 2003 features.

Thanks for keeping on top of this story, I've been waiting on this upgrade since forever, it seems.

Mike Temporale
07-13-2004, 02:59 AM
Here's a MSFT page (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/about/tours/ppc/2003/default.mspx) that has a profile of 2003 features.

Actually, that link is for PPC, try this one for Smartphone (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/about/tours/sp/default.mspx) :wink:

Kris Kumar
07-13-2004, 03:25 AM
Key benefits

- Performance boost on the same hardware (applications like Windows Media Player work better)
- .NET Compact Framework
- Multiple Email accounts (upto 6)
- Improved Internet Explorer (improved page viewing layouts)

Mike Temporale
07-13-2004, 03:58 AM
If this update does see the light of day, there is going to be a lot of very happy i600 users! It would be really nice to see someone release an update!

Kris Kumar
07-13-2004, 04:15 AM
I feel that Verizon has no other option but to release WM2003 by the end of this month. Sprint PCS is going to release i600 with WM2003. That is bound to raise some questions and I am sure Verizon wants to avoid that situation.

Also it would make things easier for Samsung if both the carriers adopt the same software version.

Another reason why they would issue the update is that, there is no other CDMA Smartphone in sight. Releasing WM2003 is almost like releasing a new model. It will re-ignite the sales.

Kris Kumar
07-13-2004, 05:22 AM
Well Verizon's story seems to be changing by the hour. But the good thing is that it is not denying the existence of WM2003. Here is an extract from the Verizon's email response posted by MrKupiwup in the newsgroup:

"The update was scheduled to become available today, but due to unforeseen circumstances, it was necessary to postpone the release one more week. The update will be available as a download from our www.verizonwireless.com website, or from select retail stores, next Monday, the 19th of July. Customers that are currently using one of our PDA/Smartphone data plans will be entitled to the upgrade free of charge. Customers without a PDA/Smartphone data plan will be required to pay $15 for the update. After October 1st, all i600 users will be required to pay $15 for the update. Please check our www.verizonwireless.com website on Monday for more information."

vigitalmoe
07-13-2004, 06:43 PM
Thank you for contacting the Verizon Wireless website. As part of our Worry Free Guarantee, your concern becomes our concern the first time you contact us. We are happy to assist you with your Smartphone 2003 question.

We apologize for any delay in the release of our Smartphone 2003 update for the Samsung i600. We are expecting to release the software sometime next week. This timeframe can change due to unexpected delays. We do not wish to set expectations. When the update is released, it can be downloaded from our www.verizonwireless.com website or by visiting your local Verizon Wireless retail store. We apologize for not being able to provide more exact information.

If you have further questions or concerns, please contact us anytime through e-mail using the address of [email protected]. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Kris Kumar
07-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Oh No! Another version!

From "Monday 19th July 2004" to "...sometime next week. This timeframe can change due to unexpected delays. We do not wish to set expectations."

Kris Kumar
07-16-2004, 04:35 AM
Robert posted the following in the newsgroup. Thought I should share it with our readers in this thread. Well we should thank Robert for sharing his email exchanges with us through the newsgroup.

Primary Subject: I have a question on another topic
Secondary Subject: Other
Message Body: I have some questions regarding the pending Smartphone 2003 release for the Samsung i600.
1) Can you please provide a firm release date. I have several end user with this phone and need to schedule updates accordingly. So far all I've been able to get from support is the 12th and then that changed to "a few more days" and then to "next week". I need a firm date.
2) Can you provide the web location for the download? Will it be available on the Verizonwireless site only or also available on the Samsung site?
3) Can you provide a list of improvements and fixes related specifically to the i600 in this release.
For example:
a) Has the external caller ID issue been resolved so that the contact name is displayed quickly?
b) Has the inability to automatically fetch email when the lid is closed been addressed? Your help in these maters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Robert R Kircher, Jr.

VW Reply
Hello Robert,

Thank you for contacting the Verizon Wireless website. As part of our Worry Free Guarantee, your concern becomes our concern the first time you contact us. We are happy to assist you with your i600 question.

Unfortunately, we can not give out firm dates as they may change on a daily or weekly basis. It is also Verizon Wireless's policy not to release confidential information regarding our new products or services. The upgrade will be available via our website. If you are on a PDA/Smartphone plan or feature then the upgrade will be free of charge. If you are not on one of those plans or features then the cost of the upgrade is $15 dollars.We do not have a list of what the fixes are for the upgraded software. The upgrade does in fact fix the Caller ID issue.

If you have further questions or concerns, please contact us anytime through e-mail using the address of [email protected]. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,
Verizon Wireless
Data Technical Support

Kris Kumar
07-16-2004, 04:41 AM
Since the upgrade is not free for all users. I mean there is a $15 charge for users without the Smartphone data plan. I am guessing that Verizon will put the link in the private customer area, where one usually logs in for checking on account usage and bills etc.

It will not be listed in the general/public support or product page. And I am guessing that it will not be available on Samsung's support site.

vigitalmoe
07-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Is the idea that if one buys a new Samsung i600 with Verizon plan that it will have the Smartphone 2003 version already isntalled?

Thanks.

jojochef
07-16-2004, 07:05 PM
just went to my verizon store to get my phone upgraded to the 2003 os. they just got the software in today. I have to pick up the phone i an hour.and so far no charge for the upgrade,don't know if they will charge me when i pick it up.