View Full Version : Using A Smartphone To Track A Marathon

Mike Temporale
07-08-2004, 01:26 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2999' target='_blank'>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2999</a><br /><br /></div>"Using their Bluetooth Heart monitor, Alive Technologies developed a platform to monitor the progress and physical condition of marathon runners. The systems captures information from a Bluetooth heart monitor and from a Bluetooth GPS, and feeds it into a Windows Mobile Smartphone."<br /><br />This is some pretty wild stuff. Check out the post on GeekZone for more information and a nice diagram showing how all this stuff connects. What are the chances we could strap this on Lance Armstrong?<br /><br /><b>Update:</b> On a totaly unrelated note... This post was number 1024 for me. :D Geeks Rule! :wink:

ConsultingNerd
07-08-2004, 04:28 PM
I've heard of GPS monitors for running, like the Garmin Forerunner, but not that the information could be transmitted to a smartphone and then to a server. I did see that Alive Technologies had another type of monitor. The Alive Monitor is a wireless health monitoring system for screening, diagnosis and management of chronic diseases, and for consumer health and fitness. Applications include the management of atrial fibrillation and heart failure, cardiac rehabilitation and fitness monitoring.

Designed for use in the doctor’s office, home or gym, the Alive monitor uses wireless Bluetooth and mobile phone networks to immediately transmit the medical information to a computer, Pocket PC, or central monitoring centre. The product features the latest generation of Bluetooth wireless technology and new electrode technology for optimum signal quality.

Running with a cellphone wouldn't add too much additional weight. As long as it did not bounce around. I can just see FOX sports at the next olympics. Each runner would be wired with a monitor and the stats would show on the screen above each runner. Sort of what they do now for NASCAR, but only more useful.