View Full Version : iMate Smartphone2 and Pocket Outlook?

Arthur
06-22-2004, 06:27 AM
Before I buy, there's one thing I need to check but cannot get an answer anywhere on Microsoft's site: :?:

I want to use the iMate Smartphone2 for email (when away from the office). Can I simply copy my 150MB outlook.pst (which is actually renamed to arthurmail.pst and stored in a folder in My Documents) file from the PC to the Smartphone and have Pocket Outlook use the pst file (eg on a 256MB memory card) ... and then, when back at the office, copy the phone's pst file back to my PC and have Outlook use it as before?

Also, If I have two different pst files -- can Pocket Outlook be changed to point to a different pst file and then use that? I in fact have a number of different pst files on various PCs (all Outlook XP). When travelling I'd like to copy these over to the phone, use them with GPRS for email, and then simply copy them back to the PC and continue using them without change. Don't want to use ActiveSync or other synchronisation mechanisms but simply the native pst file.

Is the same possible with the iMate PocketPC Phone Edition?

Thanks for any clear answers.

Mike Temporale
06-23-2004, 05:16 PM
You can't just copy you PST file to your Smartphone (or storage card). However, by using Active Sync, you can select which folders from Outlook you want to have sync'ed to the device.

Do you really need to take that much email with you? You can't possibly use all of it when you're out and about. I sync a couple different inbox's and use GPRS connection to pull down a couple accounts. But I leave my archive folders on my laptop.