View Full Version : ATTENTION HTC! What we really want in a Smartphone.

Arthur
06-09-2004, 04:48 PM
I was about to click BUY for a new i-Mate PocketPC ... and then had second throughts, because the technology is not quite there yet. If HTC or other manufacturs read this, then the spec below is the basic target for a KILLER phone.

This is what I need in a phone-sized package (maybe a little smaller than the 70x130mm of the HTC PocketPC/XDA -- say 60x110mm):

* All the features of the current i-Mate PocketPC, with better camera, and decent file synchonization upload/download with ANY Windows PC.

* Decent PDA-phone integration -- the current Windows code is just a step away from what we need (the developers know the issues so I won't go into them here)

* Here's the key point: I want a standard USB2 port that allows one to plug the phone into any PC and have it recognised as a standard storage device. Even better, if support is needed for phone management, make it possible for the host PC to download the requisite code from device, or to execute it by loading an app on the device's memory (eg MMC card). What we users want is the ability to plug our phones into our PCs without having to use cradles and other such stuff (in addition to Bluetooth and other wireless connectivities now standard, such as I-R, GRPS, etc), and we want the software to manage the device on the PC readily at hand (ie in the device).

In speaking to a random group of about a dozen hi-tech nerds and gismo-geeks, everyone agreed that this would be the killer device.

What say you?

aristoBrat
06-09-2004, 05:20 PM
In speaking to a random group of about a dozen hi-tech nerds and gismo-geeks, everyone agreed that this would be the killer device.
It's too bad that nerds and gismo-geeks have gone from being "the market" (a year or two ago) to a very small part of the total market that manufacturers are designing Smartphones for nowadays (general consumers)... ;)