View Full Version : Speeding Up Adobe Acrobat Reader

Jason Dunn
06-04-2004, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/index.php' target='_blank'>http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/index.php</a><br /><br /></div>Almost every computer user has Adobe Acrobat Reader installed, but with each version it's getting slower and slower to load. This free software helps with that:<br /><br /><i>"Adobe Reader SpeedUp is a simple application that was created to help make the loading time of Adobe's Acrobat/Reader software bearable for everyday use. AR SpeedUp only needs to be used once (a process taking only a few seconds) and then your 'Reader will be transformed forever. There are also some tweaking options available. "w00t!", as the young kids say."</i><br /><br />The difference is truly dramatic - it went from taking eight seconds to load on my computer to only taking two seconds.

ShivShanks
06-04-2004, 02:31 AM
Almost every computer user has Adobe Acrobat Reader installed, but with each version it's getting slower and slower to load. This free software helps with that:

"Adobe Reader SpeedUp is a simple application that was created to help make the loading time of Adobe's Acrobat/Reader software bearable for everyday use. AR SpeedUp only needs to be used once (a process taking only a few seconds) and then your 'Reader will be transformed forever. There are also some tweaking options available. "w00t!", as the young kids say."

The difference is truly dramatic - it went from taking eight seconds to load on my computer to only taking two seconds.

Its nice that someone has made a handy program for doing this. Information on how to do this has been available on the net for quite some time. You can achieve the same results by following these steps -
1. Go to \Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reade\plug_ins
2. Move all the files and folders except EWH32.api, printme.api, and search.api into the \Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\Optional folder
You might need to leave a few more .api files in the original place if you happen to use them frequently.

Basically the .api files are nothing more than normal DLL's which are dynamically loaded by Adobe at startup and it probably does some kind of checking and verification on them. But loading all of them at startup is infuriatingly slow and I just cannot imagine how the product escaped the test folks at Adobe! Adobe test folks need to get their head examined for letting the latest Reader out with such an abominable startup time.

TANKERx
06-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks for pointing this out.

We are VERY heavy users of Acrobat Reader here for reading a great many forms of Maintenance Manuals (two types of long-haul aircraft, at least 20 manuals each, each one filling at least one CD for workstations in four hangars); it will save our shop-floor and planning guys a lot of time.

Thanks again!

brntcrsp
06-04-2004, 02:28 PM
yowza! that is much faster just moving the files. I hated Reader's lag for years and I purposely avoided looking at PDFs because the load time was so great. This really make a huge difference. Thanks again.