View Full Version : Smartphone choices

refnulf
05-29-2004, 04:28 AM
Hi guys,

I'm going to buy a smartphone soon but I can't decide with so many out in the market at the moment. There's the mpx200, mpx220, v600, xphone, even the nokia 6600 and all that. Which would be the best for me? The main usage here is the phone functions, along with email, calendar type functions, surfing, etc. Gprs, bluetooth would be necessary.This will be my first smartphone.

Any suggestions, I've been reading through reviews on the xphone, which is available here in Malaysia and I'm quite taken with it. But I'm still a little unsure, would that be a good smartphone? I know the xphone doesn't support java. Will that be included in some update? I don't know anyone else using it atm. I'd appreciate any advice given.

I've tried the product advisor bit, but it's not accurate enough. I don't normally change phones that often, so I'm planning to use this for a while.

refnulf
05-29-2004, 05:03 AM
Since most of you guys have smartphones, perhaps you could help me and recommend some decent smartphones, I heard a lot of complaints about the xphone. My budget is like $600 or around there.

Mike Temporale
05-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Ya, I wouldn't trust the product advisor. Like I siad, you still need to do some research on your own.

The MPx220 is not out yet and has never been mentioned officially by Motorola. If you require Bluetoth then the MPx200 is out, as it doesn't have Bluetooth.

Isn't the xphone the same as the e200? That's a good phone. It has bluetooth, which you are asking for.

Don't buy a phone based on what it might do if it has a ROM update. There is no information about carriers of manufacturers providing these. That may change, but you don't want to bet on it.

refnulf
05-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Thanks Mike,

I have checked out the phone for the last few weeks. The e200 is known as the xphone here. And although the phone looks good (great features) I am somewhat worried about the list of limitations. It's stated quite clearly on the site and it's a little buggy. But I guess there's no smartphone that isn't buggy. Like I said, I'm new to this and I'm worried I might be getting a bad phone or something.

MPx220 isn't out and I'm not sure if it's ever going to be out and I'm not really ready to wait for it to come out. Which is why the xphone seems a logical choice.

I guess I'm just looking for a smartphone that runs the windows smartphone 2003. And there isn't much of a choice.

So am I going wrong with the xphone? Are the limitations bad enough to consider some other phone perhaps? That's all I really want to know I guess. Does it perform well enough because I've read reviews and a lot of people have bad things to say about this phone.

Thank you again.

Jason Dunn
05-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Honestly? I'd wait a bit - the MPx200 is a good phone IMO, but since you want 2003, I'd say to wait. There are some impressive phones coming out in the next few months, so if you can wait to see what's available in your area, that might be the best bet.

Santa Fe
05-29-2004, 09:33 PM
Also I'd suggest making sure the carrier suits your needs (assuming you have multiple choices there). That may be more important than the device.

refnulf
05-30-2004, 06:37 AM
Good idea guys, our telcos here support most things, except 3g atm. We already have edge, and all that. The competition between them gives us decent deals and technology.

And the problem about waiting is I have the cash burning a hole in my pocket. I guess I should wait, tons of phones coming out in the next few months. But I'm afraid I might just go and get something in the next few days. I should lock the $$$ up, lol. But if I wait, I'll be able to save even more $$$ and maybe I can just get the p900 or something eventually. LOL . I always wanted that phone, but it's symbian and that's something I don't really like, which is one reason that keeps me away from the 6600, which is quite the decent phone. I don't mind the xda II but I'm looking for a phone first, pda second. So a ms smartphone is high on my list. But with more cash, maybe I can get the mpx. That doesn't look like a smartphone though.

I like the mpx200, but it doesn't have bluetooth and it's running 2002. I sure wish the mpx220 is real because it looks sweet and so does its features.

refnulf
05-30-2004, 07:08 AM
Guys, what's the difference between Microsoft Mobile and Microsoft Smartphone 2003?

Will it be able to use the same software, etc?

I think I've decided, I'll wait for either the mpx100 or the mpx220. Those phones are superb. So I think I can wait a couple of months till it's out.

What do you think?

Mike Temporale
05-30-2004, 11:33 AM
If you can keep the money safe ;) then that's a good choice. There are a number of phones coming out this summer. Sagem, Motorola, That c500, .... So if you can wait, I think you would be better off.

refnulf
05-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Well man, by the time those smartphones come out. My budget should be able to cover even the mpx. So that's a good thing. And there are a lot of phones coming out in the next few months. Going to make choosing them real hard :D Except the c500 though, that's one butt ugly phone.

But motorola has some real sweet designs at the moment, I wouldn't have thought they were capable of coming out with such smartphones at all, hehe.

Jason Dunn
05-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Guys, what's the difference between Microsoft Mobile and Microsoft Smartphone 2003? Will it be able to use the same software, etc?

Windows Mobile is just the brand name for both the Pocket PC OS and the Smartphone OS, both of which are based on Windows CE. Software is compatible within the device tree. i.e.: Pocket PC software will work on other Pocket PCs, although there are always a few updates needed by developers for some apps when a new OS comes out.