View Full Version : Looking for a Firmware Backup utitility for the MPx200

mjhamson
05-27-2004, 02:25 AM
Does anyone know of a app that will back-up the firmware on the phone? or is it a push only?

-Michael

sbrown23
10-06-2004, 10:26 PM
I'm curious about this as well. Any info on this?

cooleaf
02-23-2006, 01:25 PM
If you mean flash rom, I found a piece of article from a chinese forum and translate it. Though I have never test it (i dont have a mpx200), but from the feedback I see it works. Anyway, it is just a read&save procedure, no writing to your mobile at all.

1. Google "Motorola Mobile Upgrade Wizard" and download it.

2. Turn off your MPX200. Hold "left" and power it up. You can see a blink on the screen (given your surrounding is dark enough). By then your MPX200 should be in the "bootloader" mode. Connect your mobile to your PC.

3. If PC propmt "new hardware found", you will need to install a driver. It should be in the file you've downloaded.

3. Launch program MPX200_backup. If it shows "no MPX200 detected. Pls connect your MPX200", this means PC could not find your mobile through USB cable. Most possibility is (1) Other program has connect with your mpx200 before your MPX200_backup does (say: ActiveSyn, super terminal (2) or you got a too long usb cable, just try other usb port.

3. Now we could start the frist time backup. Right in the softward MPX200_backup, you could backup the whole flash rom (32mb), as IMG format. It will be "a little bit" slow, taking about 2 hours!!!! No interruption during this process, or you have to restart from the very beginning.

4. After you've get the complete flash, you can backup last 256kb of the flash as the second backup, save it as IMG format. Then do it again, this time in RAW format.

5. IMG file could be used to re-flash your mobile. :) Sounds good.

6. After you have done all these above, your mpx200 wil be stay in bootloader mode. Then what? Unplug your USB cable, take battery out and then put it back. Turn your mobile on.

7. The mobile should up and back to normal mode.

NOTICE!!!!
1. Backing up you whole flash will take 2 hours, so mind your battery.
2. During backup, dont use your PC, jsut let the backup program stay on top of your desktop. Or it will stop responding and you have to start it all over again.

Poor english, so forget about my grammar :wink: