View Full Version : Kingston First to Release MMC 4.0

Mike Temporale
05-19-2004, 05:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040517/lam060_1.html' target='_blank'>http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040517/lam060_1.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Kingston Technology Company, Inc., the independent world leader in memory products, today announced a technology breakthrough with its development of the first high-performance MultiMediaCard(TM) 4.0 (MMC 4.0). Popular in mobile phones and digital cameras, MultiMediaCards are small, removable non-volatile memory cards that store photo images, digital music, games, and various other types of data. Initially, KingstonR will be manufacturing MMC 4.0 cards in 256 MB and 512 MB capacities, soon to be followed by capacities up to 2 GB. The most advanced MMC standard available today, the new MMC 4.0 offers the highest data transfer rates: 20 MB/sec. read speed and 17 MB/sec. write speed; dual-voltage operation: 1.8V/3V; and multiple bus widths: x1, x4 and x8 bit. The MMC 4.0 card is backward compatible with all previous versions of MultiMediaCards and host devices."<br /><br />I know you are asking, "<i>Why would I care about MMC when my SD cards are working just fine?</i>" I'll tell you why. Every SD manufacturer pays a royalty to Panasonic for the right to make SD compatible cards. MMC cards are royalty free, and are physically compatible with existing SD slots. SD cards do have a secure element to them, however no one uses the secure portion, so they are just like MMC. Now OEM's like Kingston, are making better performing MMC cards and the price should be less than SD. What would you buy? My money goes toward the fastest, and largest memory card possible (with in my budget, of course. :wink: ) And at 20 MB/Sec, you better buckle up before using these cards! 8O

possmann
05-19-2004, 08:54 PM
FINALLY!

now all I need is that Mpx220...

darrylb
05-20-2004, 01:18 AM
Cool - I'm looking forward to seeing 2Gb cards hit the market.... I hope this moves faster than SD card sizes have...